Tauck Tours river boats

AWED23

Has there been any reviews of Tauck's river boats?...I tried a search of both Tauck tours river boats and Tauck river boats...Nada, zip, zilch. We saw one of their boats in Budapest and went aboard [We have done 9 land tours with Tauck] the boat was roomier and with bigger rooms than what we had been on. Has anyone had experience with them?...Thanks for any information.:D

From what I understand, Tauk doesn't have their own boats, they use Amadeus' boats.
I asked the tour director aboard the boat we visited in Budapest this past July just exactly what was Taucks involvment and she told me that Tauck owned 50% of the 3 new boats that they are envolved with. The main concern I had was who actually runs the "Hotel" side of the operation and she assured me that Tauck had complete control of all aspects of guest accomodations... I mean by that all personel who deal with hospitality including the Chef and the quality of his meal service. I am hopeful that someone who has sailed with them recently can give me their views. Thanks for the reply.

We recently returned from a Danube River cruise on the Amadeus Amalegro and something that I learned is that "Amadeus" is a popular name for ships over there. Just because you see Amadeus in the name it does not mean that it is a ship of the company Amadeus Waterways that you hear so many good things about (with justification)! Another ship with an Amadeus name was docked right near us in Budapest and that prompted me to ask the question that produced the above information.

Clarence:)

We recently returned from a Danube River cruise on the Amadeus Amalegro and something that I learned is that "Amadeus" is a popular name for ships over there. Just because you see Amadeus in the name it does not mean that it is a ship of the company Amadeus Waterways that you hear so many good things about (with justification)! Another ship with an Amadeus name was docked right near us in Budapest and that prompted me to ask the question that produced the above information.

..Clarence, I am asking about the 2 Tauck river boats. I believe they are the Swiss Diamond and the Swiss Emerald. There may be another, I am not sure. Has anyone who has sailed on either of these two boats have any criticisms or information they can give me?....Thanks for the help.:confused:

We're scheduled for a Tauck river cruise next May and our TA said that Tauck is an excellent tour operator and their ships certainly look great from the brochures. The room sizes seem to be larger. I'd also like to hear a review from someone who has sailed with them. We're doing the Holland/Belguim trip.

From what I understand, Tauk doesn't have their own boats, they use Amadeus' boats.

AWED, I was commenting on Marie9186's post re Amadeus.

I, too, have been on numerous land tours with Tauck and they do a wonderful job. I know of no better. Have not been with them on the river but their history indicates to me that they will deliver a superior product. They specialize in making sure that even the "little things" get done right!

I asked the tour director aboard the boat we visited in Budapest this past July just exactly what was Taucks involvment and she told me that Tauck owned 50% of the 3 new boats that they are envolved with. The main concern I had was who actually runs the "Hotel" side of the operation and she assured me that Tauck had complete control of all aspects of guest accomodations... I mean by that all personel who deal with hospitality including the Chef and the quality of his meal service. I am hopeful that someone who has sailed with them recently can give me their views. Thanks for the reply.

I haven't sailed with Tauck, but this may help.

Tauck River-Cruising

Dale, thanks for the reply but I have read their brochures and was on the Swiss Diamond in Budapest for a "walk through". Now I am trying to determine if the actual cruise experience is up to Taucks' usual high standards. Maybe someone who has sailed with them this year or last will give us a short critique.:D

We sailed on the Swiss Emerald in 2006 from Amsterdam to Budapest and enjoyed the experience very much. I did a short review w/pictures but I am not sure if it is still available here.

At that time the Emerald was brand new and very clean. It was my 1st riverboat cruise so I was very pleasantly surprised at how lavishly appointed it was. We walked thorough some other boats moored next the Emerald and they seem very 'spartan' in comparison.

The food was excellent, wine and beer was included with lunch and dinner. Bottled water was given out when leaving the boat for excursions. All excursions and tips were included as well. There was always an options to stay on board or venture out on your own.

There was a cruise director and 3 tour directors. For all excursions passengers were divided into 3 groups on 3 buses.

We had the least expensive cabin on the bottom deck and it was sufficient for us. If you like to spend more time in the cabin, you should consider a bigger cabin that has a separate sitting area.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

We are now considering Tauck's Mosele river cruise for 2009.

Eva

We returned last week from the Swiss Emerald sailing from Amsterdam to Budapest with Tauck Tours. Scylla Tours, a Holland based company owns the ships and operates the hotel side while Tauck in its usual fashion operates everything to do with the tour. The ships are registered in Switzerland. There are currently two ships and next year another one will be added to the fleet.

We had one cruise director and three tour guides all of which were excellent and performed to Tauck's high standards. If you enjoy Tauck 's land tours, the river cruises are carried out in much the same manner. The ships staff, officers are Dutch, crew is European could not have performed better, customer service excelled. The ship sparkled from bow to stern, was extremely elegant, the cuisine was exceptional from quality to presentation and the cabins just lovely. Dinner was preceded by a cocktail hour with a piano player, he also played after dinner. Several evenings local enertainment from ashore was brought onboard. In every port there was a walking tour, sometimes accompanied by some coach touring. Two lunches and two dinners were ashore, otherwise all meals were on the ship. All food, tours and tips were included as was local wine each evening with dinner. The two dinners ashore included entertainment; one evening was in Vienna, dinner was at the Pallavicini Palace, both dinner and the Viennese concert were incredible. Most passengers agreed this was the highlight of the trip.

Each night while we were at dinner a program for the following day was placed in our cabin. If you didn't care to join a tour, one could remain on the ship or go ashore independently.

If you like Tauck's land tours you'll love their river cruises, you can be well assured all is done in the same tradition.

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

I am also researching for an upscale river cruise in Europe. Swiss Emerald was recommended by a bartender on my recent Oceania cruise. He worked on Swiss Emerald for a year and held it in as high regard as Oceania. I'm still trying to find regular quality photos of this ship, as the ones on downloaded brochure are very blurry. It's very nice to be able to read about past passengers' experience.

• 1 month later...

We are going in June from Prague to Bucharest on a Tauck river cruise on the Swiss Emerald. Has anyone done this Danube cruise? Please advise about details of life aboard. I'm thinking that Tauck has taken care of the tours part of the trip, so I'm interested in the day to life while on shipboard.

• 5 months later...

I just returned from the Avalon Artisitry Budapest to Prague. I am very interested is seeing any pictures for the Tauck's Swiss Emeral or Swiss Sapphire.

I was able to look at the atruim on the Swiss Sapphire. I really liked talking to the Tour director. She was very knowlegable, helpful, and easy to understand (as she was an American).

After pricing Tauck vs Avalon for the same itinerary, Tauck does not seems to be much higher in price than Avalon (if you do all of the tours). Avalon would be cheaper if you only did the 60 to 90 minute city tour and none of the other tours.

Thanks for any help,

MSEm

We were on the SWiss Emerald this May and this ship is beautiful. Everything was well organized (tours, etc.) with a Tauck tour director and three tour guides. The rest of the operation is handled by the ship company, however, they do this in conjuction with Tauck. It seems that Tauck was instrumental with the design of the ship. You'll love it.

Did your tour guides travel 1 to each of the buses. That would seems to make for a smoother operation to have a Tauck guide for each bus. How were you divided into the 3 groups?

Thanks for the answers.

MSEM

On the recent Tauck tour from Brussels to Amsterdam, we were divided into three buses each named for a Master, ie, Van Gogh, etc. Then when going on a tour we went on the bus with the designated color coded head sets. It worked very well. All optional tours on Tauck are included in the price of the cruise and they were all very well organized. It was our first river cruise and we're planning another for next year on the Duoro River.

How is the dinner on Tauck River Cruises? How many entree? How was the wine?

I looked at the table setting through the window. It looked more like fine dining than the Utility white on Avalon.

Also what is the size of the standard cabins? Is there room between the foot of the bed and the vanity?

Thanks for all of the Tauck River Cruise info.

MSEm

Dinners were excellent in a very elegant dining room. Always a choice of meat, chicken, fish and a vegeterian dish. There was an appetaizer, salad and soup options as well. For dessert, there was a special dessert each night and an ice cream/cheese/fruit buffet. There was a choice of free-flowing red and white wine (different each night) or beer.

The time was set but we could sit at any table with anyone. There was enough tables that if someone wanted a table for 2, they were always available. The capitan ate dinner in the dining room several times. Most traveled Tauck people sat at his table (in our group one of the couples had over 40 Tauck tours under their belt).

If I can dig out my pictures of the dining room, I will post them.

We are booked on the new Swiss Jewel that will launch in April 2009.

There are 6 couples (3 of whom met on this board and enjoyed a fantastic Oceania Baltic cruise - June 2008) and we are eager to hear about your experiences on this itinerary.

If you have any photos of the boats or cabins to share please post them.

We are concerned about the one suitcase rule for our 13 night journey.

We'll be arriving one day early in Budapest and staying an extra night in Prague.

What other type/size of bag did you take beside the one large suitcase?

I had wanted to bring a 21 inch roll on and called Tauck. The gal on the phone was adamant that this was NOT allowed and that there would be no room to store the case in the cabin or elsewhere on the ship.

WHAT!!!??? We can pop the roll on in the larger suitcase no problem there.

The rooms are a mere 150 sq ft. I need to determine how big our veranda cabin on the Regatta was. I think the sq. ft they quote includes the veranda.

Anyhow, we are excited to tour with Tauck as we have heard high praise for them.

Hopefully a recent Tauck River Cruises will be able to advice on the roll-on.

We also had the 1 bag "rule" on Avalon River Cruise. We could NOT carry the roll-on onto the bus, but there was plenty of room in the luggage compartment for our roll-on.

MSEm

We very recently completed a Bucharest - Budapest trip on the Tauck (Scylla Tours actually owns and operates the Tauck boats,) MS Swiss Sapphire, proceeding on our own in Budapest, Bratislava and Prague (using rail for interctiy connections) for a total of one month. Our luggage was one Travelpro 22" rollaboard and one tote bag, plenty for those trips - and there was more than sufficient space in the cabin for that luggage. As MSEm says, the rollaboard will not go in the bus - Tauck usually has a separate vehicle transfer baggage.

Slightly off topic, for those who haven't learned the knack of packing light, I recommend the system developed by a dear (and now deceased) friend of ours, Gussie Holloway - her son Jon now runs Holloway Travel Outfitters (Sacramento, CA,) and he has documented her "packing light" system with handy information and even videos at http://www.packinglight.com. It certainly makes for easier traveling, given the trains no longer have baggage cars and that airlines, in my experience, have accommodated us much more easily during irregular operations because we only had carry-on luggage. Choose lightweight, easily washable and no-iron materials, mix and match colors, and quick drying underthings.

Archived