excursions

jks9103

Is it a good or bad idea to book an excursion at each port? We are going on our first cruise in April 2008, Serenade of the Seas, Southern Caribbean. We aren't big into shopping or spending the whole day at the beach, more into sightseeing and doing activities. For Antigua I already have the Eli's Eco Tour booked. I'm leaning towards doing island tours on the other four islands but I'm a little affraid the tour thing will get "old" by the end of the trip. Any opinions?

We usually try to stagger our excursions, signing up for something at one port of call, then doing the next one on our own. Doing excursions at each stop, unless you've got some down time (i.e. sea days) in between is getting to be too much for us. It really depends upon on much energy and money you have to spend on excursions and how much you want to see at each port.

Charlie

I would research all the ports of call and pick a couple ship excursions that you really want to do and pre purchase. Something special. While you are reading up, you'll see other points of interest at other ports, that you could just walk to or cab from the port. That would save you money and time. Often the ship's ex. take you to stops that you might not neccesarily be interested in. Once on board you can add more. Sometimes one will sell out, but those often have a morning and afternoon time to take the crowds. Some days we are just tired and are glad we aren't getting up early for an 8:00 tour. So we do our own thing on those days.

You didn't mention which ports you'll be stopping at. Start your research on the ports of call boards on the main page. Also there are a couple really nice cruise ports of call books that would help you.

Some people like to travel without doing any research. I like to research all the ports and make a list of the "must dos" before we leave. Have fun!!

I think setting a schedule of when you will and wont do excursions is a mistake...you could have an amazing excursion in 2 different ports but since you have said you cant book excursions in back to back ports you have to miss one? We just look at whats offered and book what we like...if its back to back days then so be it...try not to limit yourself too much

we try to NOT do too many "tours", just driving around seeing things. it's fine if you mix that with "doing" things. if some of your ports are known for beautiful beaches...some many be better for snorkeling...but just driving around, 1 of those tours was enough (about 14 years ago). we try to do at least 1 full-day exciting tour to center our cruise around, 1 day of just fun and relaxation..this trip we are doing 1 day of just staying on the ship/no tours. check the websites for the various ports, see what the "speciality" for each is. if you wear yourself out too much, you come home exhausted...then you need a vacation from your vacation.

Hubby and I just returned from the Destiny(southern Caribbean) last Sunday. It was our first time cruising. We are both in our 50's and did not like staying on the ship. I had researched all the ports of call and checked out all the boards and got lots of info as far as which tour companies to go with. We saved a lot of money by not going with the ships excursions. I had booked something everyday that we were in port with the exception of Antigua. I had searched for awhile for the right beach for us to go to so we rented a taxi and went there for most of the day and it was the best day of the trip. Do your research and it will pay off.

Look at the excursions offered. If none suit you, stay on the ship! After all, that's what you paid for!!! Sometimes, we just get off for a while, walk around and then head back to a nearly empty pool! The ship is lovely when everyone else is gone! It's like your own private yacht!

There's no need to spend money at every stop--unless there are activities that, for you, are "must do's"!

Archived