Advice: Get Money Upfront For Tours

You think when you do all this research, emails back and forth on getting tour guides, and getting fellow cruisecritic members to sign up for the tours, that all your worries have ended...not so. During 2 weeks of having wonderful guides thanks to everyone's advice on the boards, our various groups had at least 6 cancellations that I knew about. Some were respectable enough to pay for their spots when they cancelled for various reasons (hurt knee, pocketbook getting stolen, miscommunication). Others cancelled from being tired, etc., did not give notice enough time in advance to find others, and did not pay when we could not fill the spots; therefore, putting the burden on the others to pay for their spots...so...our group got together and came up with a plan to help on future cruisecritic excursions.

Our advice to everyone is the first day of the cruise, everyone should give the person in charge of their tours an envelope with their name, the amount and the tour. That way you have the money "upfront". If they choose to cancel, then it is up to them to find a replacement and recoup their money. This will take a lot of stress away from the others and the one in charge can have the money counted and ready to give to the tour guide without any hassle the morning of the tour.

We understand things can happen. However, the ship has a cancellation policy and can still charge you if you do not show. We only feel it is fair to have some kind of agreement before you go since you can never "make" anyone pay. This is our vacation too and we should not have to be stressed

because others do not live up to their obligations.

I, for one, truly had an amazing time meeting our "cruisecritic family" and the memories of the friendships I have made through the boards definately outweighs any of the negatives.....I look forward to meeting many more of you! Galen

You make some good points. With my excursion to Istanbul, the tour company wanted payment up front. I was happy to do that. The group all contacted the 1-800 number and gave them their cc number (operator was based in the USA). 3 of the group paid cash. I got that money off them at the start of the cruise as I had already paid for them on my own credit card. The operator then kept track of who had paid.

But I must say, for all of the excursions I planned, everyone (and more:eek: ) showed up. We also went on excursions planned by others. For two of the excursions, we paid the guide individually, that way everyone had the option to include a tip at their own discretion. For one trip, I collected the money as we were all drinking in a caffe and I paid the driver directly including the tip.

I was nervous about no-shows and had heard others had last minute cancellations. But overall, I find the people on this board are very reliable.

Thank you for sharing your story and suggested solutions so that others can avoid the problem of 'no-shows'.

There is a lot to be said for tour operators who will collect from each person or couple. Salvatore of Drive Amalfi did this on our Med cruise .... I gave him email addresses of the people that had confirmed their participation to me & he contacted each couple ahead of time to confirm arrangements and pricing. He does not collect money until the tour is finished at which time each couple paid their portion of the cost.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I see so many people planning on sharing tours on their own and wondered if everything always went smoothly. If I plan anything like that I will make sure that everyone pays upfront before I commit.

palmettogirl,

I am sorry that you had such a hassle with the arrangements regarding payment and thanks to you we can learn from your experience. I have copied and pasted your posting and have printed it out.

I have organized a couple of big tours for our group of 12 when we cruise next April/May and will take your advice and get the money upfront as the tours I have organized are towards the end our 35 day cruise. Often towards the end of a trip, people are often too tired or have done too many tours and that is when they decide to cancel out.

We always pay up front and would not expect anyone to pay out for us if we were too ill to do a tour we had booked.

Jennie

I think if you're dealing with honest people, then this plan isn't really necessary. BUT... if you do have honest people in your group, then they won't mind complying with this request.

In October, we were touring with a family of 4 for our Rome excursion, and then our Florence excursion 2 days later. The night before the Florence excursion, the 2 women in the group told us that the 2 men weren't feeling well. Fortunately, that night we found another couple who wanted to take their spots, in case the 2 men didn't come.

In the morning, the 2 women showed up, prepared to pay for 4 people, even though the men weren't going to come. They were thrilled we'd found some people to take their spots, but nonetheless, they were planning to pay their fair share. Like I said, we were dealing with honest people!

Like my title says, thank you! I am doing some planning for our W. Med Cruise in May on the Gem and I am at the point of booking the tours. I don't have many that have come forward yet to want and go, but I will have ablity with this much time to add. So, your thread really gave me alot to consider. I will use much of your ideas, and I am adding to it that if those that do not pay on the meeting first night of cruise then I will be calling and cancelling them (I have a 48 hour window on the tours in Rome and Florence)

I will not probably have that much for the tour in Naples, and will have to have a much stricter deadline. I don't think it fair for those that do pay and show to be stuck with the remainder of the cost if they decide not to go.

By the way we are neighbors I live only about 1 1/2 hours from Lexington,SC just across the stateline in Georgia! I have enjoyed reading your posts too, even though your cruise was a little different than the one we are planning.

Thanks again!

Cindy

This happened to me.. I won't say who or where..but I organized a tour with other CCers and the price was quoted for 6.. they never showed up! So of course we had to pay the greater amount to cover their absence..when I happened to meet the person on the ship a few days later.. this person said it was ok cause they had emailed the tour operator from the ship to tell them they were not coming; they were too tired. (which I doubt since we all waited for them for a half an hour if the tour operator knew they were not coming why would he have us wait??) anyway.. I did not ask for the money although I should have I just didn't want a confrontation.. I never understood why they were tired this cruise was mostly sea days..and I noticed every time I turned around they were never too tired to eat!! Anyway lesson learned!!!

IMHO I think the original post should be a sticky as there is very good advise for people who are doing tours and in charge of getting the monies together and I think it would benefit a lot of people if they could see it as a sticky.Like I said..just MHO:D

cberge: I agree 100%. I'm planning a Europe cruise and most people seem to want to use private tours as opposed to the ship's and are always looking for people to chip in to make it cheaper. Being an honest person, I never gave a thought to people who could "leave you hanging" at the last minute.

We were on the same cruise with palmettogirl and observed her working the tours for over a year on the CC roll call. I think that most people don't understand how much work is involved with planning and executing a private tour.

To have someone just not go on a tour AND not pay for it is unconscionable. Most of these tours were all day affairs, and were quite expensive (though much less expensive then the ship tours). To have to split up an extra 200 euro among 6 people is a big burden.

Palmettogirl has the right approach (and her tours were marvelous!)

Thanks to everyone who has responded and I really hope this helps you out.

Again, it would not stop me for arranging tours again...we just learned a good lesson since I had never arranged tours before, and no one had really posted any solution to the problem even though they had problems. Thanks to about 8 of us (Lynn and Leo included), we came up with this plan since we knew people would not send money directly to you across the states or other countries not knowing you...at least when you give them your money on the ship...you know where to find them if something happens. Also, I might add, when they give you their money in the envelope, count it out in front of them in case their are any discrepancies. And one other thing, I had done calculations before hand and had them written on my sheet....10 people = so many euros per person, 8 people = so many euros per person (or have a calculator handy). Good luck to everyone!

Hi Palmetto Girl:

This is a helpful thread for us, since we are planning private tours for our March 2008 cruise.

In regard to payment on the first day of the cruise, I think that's a great idea...but, did

you have a problem with everyone getting euros

prior to the cruise, a/c the exchange rate?

Please advise, thanks

I'm a happy to say that all my fellow CC'ers showed up for the tours we booked together. However, my game plan was always to adjust the cost to the number we had immediately prior to the cruise and personally absorb the extra cost for any spots that became vacant once the cruise had started. I'm not sure many thinking of booking a tour would find this entirely fair on them, and perhaps it isn't, but I always figured that without the extra bodies my wife and I would be hiring a guide alone and paying the full cost anyhow.

But I'm completely horrified that folks should drop out over something as trivial as tiredness and NOT offer to pay their share. That is just NOT right. Even if someone drops out due to illness, I think it's still considerate to offer to pay should the spot go unfilled.

You think when you do all this research, emails back and forth on getting tour guides, and getting fellow cruisecritic members to sign up for the tours, that all your worries have ended...not so. During 2 weeks of having wonderful guides thanks to everyone's advice on the boards, our various groups had at least 6 cancellations that I knew about. Some were respectable enough to pay for their spots when they cancelled for various reasons (hurt knee, pocketbook getting stolen, miscommunication). Others cancelled from being tired, etc., did not give notice enough time in advance to find others, and did not pay when we could not fill the spots; therefore, putting the burden on the others to pay for their spots...so...our group got together and came up with a plan to help on future cruisecritic excursions.

Our advice to everyone is the first day of the cruise, everyone should give the person in charge of their tours an envelope with their name, the amount and the tour. That way you have the money "upfront". If they choose to cancel, then it is up to them to find a replacement and recoup their money. This will take a lot of stress away from the others and the one in charge can have the money counted and ready to give to the tour guide without any hassle the morning of the tour.

We understand things can happen. However, the ship has a cancellation policy and can still charge you if you do not show. We only feel it is fair to have some kind of agreement before you go since you can never "make" anyone pay. This is our vacation too and we should not have to be stressed

because others do not live up to their obligations.

I, for one, truly had an amazing time meeting our "cruisecritic family" and the memories of the friendships I have made through the boards definately outweighs any of the negatives.....I look forward to meeting many more of you! Galen

Hi Galen, we enjoyed meeting you on the Millinneum.

This is a very good idea. I felt very lucky that no one cancelled on the 5 private tours that I organized. I stayed in touch with everyone by e-mail before the cruise and had a meeting with everyone once we sailed, but I didn't collect any money up front. Next time I will take your advice and collect on the first meeting on the ship.

Maybe we will meet again on a future cruise. I believe you said you booked Northern Europe for next year. We would love to do a Northern Europe cruise in the near future but with both of our work schedules, next year is just not possible.

I will keep an eye on your post to see what private tour company's you recommend on this upcoming cruise.

Take care, keep dancing!

Bob and Sue

Hi Palmetto Girl:

This is a helpful thread for us, since we are planning private tours for our March 2008 cruise.

In regard to payment on the first day of the cruise, I think that's a great idea...but, did

you have a problem with everyone getting euros

prior to the cruise, a/c the exchange rate?

Please advise, thanks

That's a good question...since everyone paid the morning of the tour, they always had time to get the money in advance. The most common (cheapest) way to get the euros was from ATM machines and I think it was the route most people took. My family had gotten our euros before we left when the rate was down. You could also get euros in exchange for US dollars on board our ship. I don't think you have to be "SO" strict on the 1st day policy but you should have some kind of arrangement made in advance so they pay within the 1st couple of days (if you have a long cruise) because the 1st day is usually very hectic....and it seemed most cancellations came at the end of the cruise.

I had arranged 5 tours and on each tour we had from one van of 8 to two vans of 8 to a bus of 24. We met in the Cova Cafe (coffee bar on our ship) about 20 minutes before our guide was to meet us. I collected the money each morning. People could get coffees to go or grab a pastry and then we were all ready to walk out together and didn't have to wait on others in the wind, rain or sun... and if someone was running late you could call their room (one night we had a bad storm and none of the wake-up calls worked) before you left the ship (note: take an alarm clock). The system worked great because everyone gave me their money with their name on it and we counted out the money together. Like I said, the only problem we had was with cancellations...then we would all have to fork out money, get change and start all over. Everyone was cooperative and understanding...it was still better and cheaper than going on the ship's buses....just put stress on us trying to find replacements IF they let us know in time....and in most cases we did find replacements....just not all of them.

One other important note: Make sure the people know on your cruise what you are planning to do...i.e. more shopping, more looking at the sites or more time to enjoy a meal and what everyone expects to pay for a meal....and that your guide knows beforehand so he can plan the day accordingly.

Again, good luck and enjoy your cruisecritic family!

Hi Galen, we enjoyed meeting you on the Millinneum.

This is a very good idea. I felt very lucky that no one cancelled on the 5 private tours that I organized. I stayed in touch with everyone by e-mail before the cruise and had a meeting with everyone once we sailed, but I didn't collect any money up front. Next time I will take your advice and collect on the first meeting on the ship.

Maybe we will meet again on a future cruise. I believe you said you booked Northern Europe for next year. We would love to do a Northern Europe cruise in the near future but with both of our work schedules, next year is just not possible.

I will keep an eye on your post to see what private tour company's you recommend on this upcoming cruise.

Take care, keep dancing!

Bob and Sue

Oh, to be able to dance like you two! Don't hesitate to email me when you decide to do the Baltics and hopefully I will have a lot of info for you....let me know if you ever get down to South Carolina! Galen

I would imagine that the best way to collect the money ASAP would be arrange to do it at the M&M! That's usually on the second day, not so hectic and before you are going on any tours. P.S. How do you get Euros from the ATM? Isn't there a fee? How easy is it to do the exchange onboard?

I would imagine that the best way to collect the money ASAP would be arrange to do it at the M&M! That's usually on the second day, not so hectic and before you are going on any tours. P.S. How do you get Euros from the ATM? Isn't there a fee? How easy is it to do the exchange onboard?

Most of the ATM machines have a button to push for English....then it works just like in the US and there will be a fee...check with your bank and ask them and MAKE SURE they know you will be out of the country and in which countries so they don't put a "stop" on any purchases. Onboard, I was only changing currency for currency and you just went to the Pursor's Desk and they exchanged your money.

For my excursions, I e-mailed all of the tour participants with my cabin number and posted it on cruise critic. We did try to meet at the M&M but some got delayed. I also advised everyone to just look for the bus with my name on it...that seemed to work really well. Only in Livorno did we have a problem when Tuscany By Taxi did not have my reservation...but there were only 5 of us and we had all met the day before for drinks - so the problems was quickly resolved.

All these suggestions are all well and good but---- the people who cancelled, cancelled for a specific reason and maybe you should be upfront and say why these people cancelled rather than beating around the bush and making those who know who they are be the bad ones. Also, those who cancelled know that there were other people found to take their place. It is very hard to spend one hour or even eight hours with people who can act and talk like that!

Thanks Palmetto Girl for the advice. I have only been on a couple of cruisecritic tours and everyone showed.

The audacity of people to just not show or not show because they are tired. I can understand illness but I would still expect to pay even if I didn't go.

Makes me think if I organize a tour I should post a cancellation clause afterall the tour company does that.

We just returned home from the Regatta and I had arranged the tours myself ahead of time during roll call. We did have one couple who never contacted me the entire cruise and failed to join our meet and mingle the first night even though they had our cabin number. I felt that was inconsiderate. I advised the other cruise mates accordingly what the new price would be and no one minded at all. Unfortunately, that port was canceled, but courtesy is still a matter of principle. We did have another couple who decided to do their own tour after committing to ours. They did not offer to reimburse us but we had another lovely couple join us so we were not out of any pocket expenses. The old saying "You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all of the time." is the truth.

Archived