Honolulu dry dock

ohioNCLcruiser

Just a guess, but it may be the Pearl Harbor area? I can't think of any other geographical area (aside from maybe Kaneohe?) that would be suited to having such facilities??? I'll be curious to see if anyone knows the answer.

When is this dry dock scheduled? What are they supposed to do?

I suspect based on this information that if the ship is going to dry dock it is not in Hawaii, but I am just guessing too.

Two companies in Hawaii have dry dock facilities and handle all of the major commercial repair jobs on Oahu. Another operation maintains a repair yard at Kewalo Basin and repairs commercial fishing vessels. Twenty-five other independent firms handle what is classified as "minor" ship repair. The dry dock and repair facilities located in harbors around the islands are accessible to the smaller and medium-sized vessels only. While extensive ship repair facilities are located in Pearl Harbor, the Navy is currently unwilling to allow commercial ship building, repair and maintenance facilities there. Thus, commercial ship building and a majority of the repair work for Hawaii vessels occur outside of Hawaii. Ship and boat building facilities in Hawaii will always be limited by the lack of manufacturing facilities and the subsequent cost of transporting parts.

http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/harbors/oahu/2020-2.htm

When is this dry dock scheduled? What are they supposed to do?

Probably just a routice dry dock. Most ships need to undergo a dry dock every 2-3 years for routine under the surface upkeep and maintainance.

The POAm has been sailing since 2005 and so probably is just due for a routine "check-up."

Archived