Could cruises be affected for weeks?

APagano

Word on another thread was that CocoCay was in shambles and would not be open for 4-8 weeks. Also just saw a report from WFOR-Miami that conch shells littered the streets of Nassau and that the Straw Market was flooded and debris was strewn everywhere. Freeport was also hit hard.

Seeing that I'm scheduled for a 3-day Majesty cruise on 9/17, that does not bode well for port stops. That might become a cruise to nowhere. I would be mildly disappointed, but it's still a vacation and I knew darn well it was hurricane season when I booked.

Anybody had their cruises affected by hurricanes long after the storm had passed? Looks like Frances will do that, at least for the Bahamas.

I am scheduled to stop at Nassau on a few cruises I have booked within the next few months, however, from what I have read, Nassau is not very highly thought of...many people stay on the ship!!!! I wish the best for the people who live in the Bahamas......

Marie

PS I too am booked on the Majesty, but a 4 night, March 2005...stopping at Coco Cay, Nassau, and Key West.

We cruised several years ago about 2 weeks after a hurricane, in 1987. We were the first ship into Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen and Cozumel. All the docks were ok (GC was tendered), but the port stops were still a mess in some places. I would think as long as good sanitation could still be practiced that the ships will stop at their scheduled ports. Most of these ports tourism is their only business, so they will "clean it up in a hurry" so they won't loose out on their income.

If it is a beach port, like Coco Cay or Labadee, it might be a while depending on erosion.

Good luck with your upcoming cruise!

Jacquelyn :D

I am scheduled to stop at Nassau on a few cruises I have booked within the next few months, however, from what I have read, Nassau is not very highly thought of...many people stay on the ship!!!! I wish the best for the people who live in the Bahamas......

Marie

PS I too am booked on the Majesty, but a 4 night, March 2005...stopping at Coco Cay, Nassau, and Key West.

If you're a beach person, you'll love Nassau.

In the good old USA where we have the ability to truck in help and supplies, we are still not cleaned up 3 weeks after Charlie. Some business are still not open. It is not from lack of will or motivation. It is from lack of supplies to put stuff back together. I cannot imagine that the infrastructure in the Bahamas is any better than it is in Florida. I imagine that you will notice the damage from Frances for several weekes (or maybe even months) to come.

I read that thread as well. It stated that someone's daughter is employed by the Majesty and their captain told them they would most likely not be going back to Coco Cay for 4-8 weeks. I guess the OP should have been more specific for you. I'm scheduled to sail on the Mariner on September 26 and I too wonder what state the islands will be in.

I do like the beach...will you please recommend some. I have had very little luck finding any positive information regarding this POC. Thanks :).

Marie

We've been to Paradise Island a couple times (go by taxi, not water taxi) and think it's one of the best beaches we've been to, and we've been all over.

I am booked to go on a cruise on September 10th. The ship is supposed to port in Laberdee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Georgetown Bahamas.

In these cases after the hurricane, are the ships going to dock elsewhere and reroute ?

Debra :confused:

was drawing upon past experience regarding when they were going to go back to Coco Cay. No one stated that anyone was on/had been on Coco Cay during/since the hurricane. This was not someone's supposition. This was one employee of RCCL reporting to a family member what another employee of RCCL (a Captain) told them.

In Nassau I take the Yellow Bird Boat and have always had a blast.. Some people would not like it but we do and we enjoy the island.

Cocoa Cay does not have much to be destroyed unless toilet facilities etc have been damaged although I would expect a few weeks of clean up depending on what has happened.. Things are going to be out of whack for a bit. Go with the flow and know you may not get to do what you planned on doing but you may get to do something better.

Darn Hurricanes.. They are just saying now the thing is stalled right over Florida..

was drawing upon past experience regarding when they were going to go back to Coco Cay. No one stated that anyone was on/had been on Coco Cay during/since the hurricane. This was not someone's supposition. This was one employee of RCCL reporting to a family member what another employee of RCCL (a Captain) told them.

I agree with this. Coco Cay looks like it is still getting pounded right now and like it will still be affected for awhile longer. I don't think anyone can say for sure until the island is visted once it is safe to do so. Based on the current position of the storm and the slow movement, it may not be safe to check on it till Monday.

Archived