Srphnx live on Sapphire instead of Diamond for once

srphnx

[QUOTE] [font=Times New Roman][size=3]I have to say that there was very lax enforcement of the dress code/suggestion/appropriate attire and am very glad that such things are very minor to me on a cruise. I would guess that less than 10% of men wore tuxes, about 60% in suits and the remainder were in jacket or shirt and tie, or no tie at all. There was even one couple in jeans. The trend towards casual is clear for all to see now with no real hope of it reversing soon. I will continue to dress up because of the way it makes Seafille feel but it clearly isn’t required.[/size][/font] [/QUOTE] [font=Bookman Old Style]Hey Steve – if you have a hankering, could you do us old traditionalists a favor? Mention this on your comment card. Princess is listening…[/font]

[font=Bookman Old Style]And that’s all I’ll say about that.[/font]

[font=Bookman Old Style]I’m with you about breathing [/font][font=Bookman Old Style]Alaska[/font][font=Bookman Old Style] air – it awakens the soul.[/font]

[quote name='juggledude']Steve, (as I understand your name to be),

Well Met! I must give you a grand Huzzah! for so eloquently phrasing an experience I have enjoyed a time or two myself, and eagerly await the chance meeting we are bound to have on a future cruise. All the more so, should we unwittingly cross paths without a previous cc exchange.

I envy your frequency and must admit to being intrigued by the novel idea of a dual supper, I had previously only taken advantage of the Horizon Court to satisfy this particular culinary craving, but you, sir, have enlightened me. Indeed, why not take advantage of the superior service and atmosphere available in the various pc dining rooms to double the 'per captia' gourmond experience? I shall endeavor to impliment this upon my upcoming Sapphire cruise (9/22) and give you credit where credit is due!

I do have one question germain to the "onboard the Sapphire" thread title, if you can spare a moment from your experience to investigate this matter, I will eternally be in your debt......

We have booked minisuite, catagory AC on the Dolphin Deck, # D732 (aft, port side)......

The doc's, cruise personalizer, and any online information I can obtain, refer to this minisuite as having "twin beds, in twin configuration" .... the princess cruise personalizer goes so far as to state "unconvertable twins". As a happily married man, traveling with his wife of 13 years and 9 year old daughter, I am distraught to find myself in a sleeping arangement reminiscent of Lucy and Ricky Ricardo, circa 1957. I have called Princess no fewer than 6 times on this matter, and each time I am assured by the representative that while the computer for some mysterious reason will not allow them to configure this particular cabin as "Queen" , the matter will be easily resolved on board with a request to my cabin steward.

Alas, with yet another call to Princess due upon the 'morrow, I turn to you in this late hour to possibly shed some light upon this mystery..... Indeed, will the twin beds in D732 convert to a queen as in all the other minisuites, or is there some perverse design factor which will have me sleeping with a teddy bear to supply the needed cuddle factor, while I revert to a tirade upon the purser (on this sold out ship) to supply me with the promised sleeping arrangements?

I know, short of knocking on the door of D732 you may have no hope of answering this question, but I'm gambling on your 5000+ poster status to say that you just may have the huevos required to do just that!

I make no further request for or against this strategy, and will humbly accept whatever tidbit of information you can toss my way, but let me say that you shall acquire a loyal and trustworthy ally should you come through in my time of need.

Now, off to post this as it's own thread, in hopes of finding the truth of the matter, cruise critic is always more "real" than the 1-800 mouthpieces of the cruise industry!

Untill we sail together,...

Juggledude[/QUOTE]
[b][color=black]Just to prove what a loyal CCer I am, I went all the way to D732 personally, had the cabin steward open it to prove to me that it does convert! Saw it with my own eyes but I think the steward thinks I am more than a little odd. So Jugglerdude, rest easy![/color][/b]

[b][color=black]In Juneau, Met Largin (Larry and Ginger) very nice people on their way to elite and the staff on Coral thinks the sun rises and sets on them. I have a pic of the momentus meeting and will post that later tonight. We had to pull some strings to get tendered ashore in time to meet him as the meeting was for 2:00 and we weren't supposed to tender until 2:30 with all the other non-Princess tour types. Fortunetly my powers of persuasion know few bounds and we were on the first tender. It helps to be kind to the staff when on other sailings as sooner or later you run into them again. As was the case in this situation thanks Neil from South Africa.[/color][/b]

Steve,

Being duly impressed by your vast cruising knowledge, your CC loyalty and now your excellent powers of persuasion, I am wondering if you could search out the truth as to whether the Christmas Coral cruise to the Panama Canal will actually do the partial transit through the first locks into Gatun Lake.

Some ships like the Grand don't actually go into the canal and TA's are now indicating the Christmas Coral will not. Final payment is due very soon and we would prefer another cruise if we don't get to travel into the Canal on the big ship. Am afraid there must be something to this persistent smoke...

If you have time or opportunity, we'd greatly appreciate any assistance. Looking forward to your next report. Have fun and thanks.

[quote name='srphnx'][b][color=black]Just to prove what a loyal CCer I am, I went all the way to D732 personally, had the cabin steward open it to prove to me that it does convert! Saw it with my own eyes but I think the steward thinks I am more than a little odd. So Jugglerdude, rest easy![/color][/b][/QUOTE]
Steve,

I owe you one bigtime, my friend. My last and final worry has been laid to rest, and I shall relish the next 13 days with an assured feeling of content, knowing that my loyal order of fellow cc'ers is with me 100 percent. Whoa, I seemed to have indavertently converted to prose, my apologies to those who's sensibilities were offended (such as myself).

Should there ever be a need, or a slightest whim or desire, I fully expect you to call upon this favor and have it returned tenfold. Indeed, should our paths ever cross, and we sail the same cruise, I will herefore make a pledge to secretly and with utmost innocence call you forth from the audience to be my "assistant" in my hideously amateur juggling act on the talent show evening. (Carnival did one, (shudder), does Princess allow this monstrosity to occur?)

Anyway, they have not yet removed my juggling clubs from my carry ons, claiming them to be weapons of mass distruction, though last cruise, they did confiscate my protractor, calculator and compass, claiming them to be "weapons of math instruction" ! The indignity one must suffer due to the patriot act, indeed!.

After this cruise, we were toying with the idea of Diamond in March, Auckland to Sydney, though that would eat up all three of my alloted (accursed career!) "vacation weeks" that year. We had also seen a great price on a Hawaii, 14 day round trip on Celebrity Infinity, 10/9/05... have not yet sailed on the X, have you any anecdotes to spare? Your future opens seem to be mostly with Princess, I assume you have reason for this? (we are returning to "where we belong" after trying Carnival and Holland America , our previous voyage on the Star far surpassed either of those experiences), anyway, doing a 14 day hawaii would leave us an open Alaska or Carribean in springtime....

You mentioned booking 5 new opens, what were/ are they, pray tell?

Feel free to answer immediately upon your return home, as I would never presume to request an answer onboard, especially with the uncouth policy regarding wireless minutes and platinum status.

btw, since I imagine you have bought a few wireless minutes, where on the Diamond / Sapphire can you connect? It seems that on Holland America, most of the suites were live, and certianly many areas in the public spaces, is Princess similarly equipped..... Yet ?

again, , my heartfelt and ebulient gratitude is yours,

Royce (Juggledude)

P.S. cactusrose, thanks for the link, i think i had seen that earlier, but was not overly convicned, though i am now a believer, thanks to Steve's firsthand account.

Steve ~ I just read on another thread that they are now charging $15 to eat in the Sterling on the Diamond. I thought on the Diamond/Sapphire it was a no charge PC choice. Someone said they were just off the Diamond to Alaska and were charged $15.:confused:

I just read the thread with the $15 comment on the Sterling. Here is what it said

[QUOTE] Spongerob could you explain please again about the Sterling Steakhouse on the Diamond. In our pre-cruise docs it is listed as having an extra $15/person charge, is this not the case? From the way you wrote your post it would appear on the Diamond?Sapphire they are not charging for that resturant. We are on the Diamond in Nov. so this is great information for us to have. Thanks.
[/QUOTE]
I don't think the poster is saying they were just off the Diamond. I think they were saying that they got their pre-cruise docs and read it. The pre-cruise docs are one-size-fits-all and not correct when it comes to the Diamond/Sapphire as there is NO cover charge on these ships.

Sorry, I don't know how to do quotes, but I was referring to the reply after the one you quoted, posted by drez77:

"Just got off the Diamond to Alaska and there is indeed a 15 dollar charge to eat there. Can not recommend it because we were not going to pay 15 dollars to eat there. But if it is like the other 3 "theme" restaurants on the boat I would skip it."

[quote name='marciemi']Sorry, I don't know how to do quotes, but I was referring to the reply after the one you quoted, posted by drez77:

"Just got off the Diamond to Alaska and there is indeed a 15 dollar charge to eat there. Can not recommend it because we were not going to pay 15 dollars to eat there. But if it is like the other 3 "theme" restaurants on the boat I would skip it."
__________________[/QUOTE]
[b]There is no charge on either the Diamond or the Sapphire to eat at Sterling. Sabbitini (sp?) is the only dining room where there is a charge and I believe it is $20 to eat there. On both the Diamond and Sapphire there are 4 alternative "no charge" dining choices and Sterling is one of those. There is of course Traditional, as well.[/b]

[b][color=black]That is incorrect, the poster is mistaking Diamond for another ship, there is NO charge for Sterling on either Diamond or Sapphire, period. There is a charge for Sabatini's, we will be doing that on Friday![/color][/b][quote name='Hornet']Steve ~ I just read on another thread that they are now charging $15 to eat in the Sterling on the Diamond. I thought on the Diamond/Sapphire it was a no charge PC choice. Someone said they were just off the Diamond to Alaska and were charged $15.:confused:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]You mentioned booking 5 new opens, what were/ are they, pray tell?[/QUOTE] by jugglerdude

[b][color=black]Open bookings are much discussed on the boards and I always keep a few going, basically they allow minimum deposit and offer much in terms of flexibility relating to using your own TA and picking the date later and include OBC on-board credit from 25-150 pp depending on length and category of cabin... in short a no brainer![/color][/b]

1. Are the "open bookings" the ones they try and get you to sign up for while you are cruising. I think the downpayment was $100 but thought there was a time limit for using.

2. Why is the Sterling and Sabatini free on the Diamond and Sapphire?

Inquiring minds want to know :D

Hope you are yours are having a wonderful time srphnx. I am thoroughly enjoying this post. :)

[quote name='Northender']1. Are the "open bookings" the ones they try and get you to sign up for while you are cruising. I think the downpayment was $100 but thought there was a time limit for using.

2. Why is the Sterling and Sabatini free on the Diamond and Sapphire?

Inquiring minds want to know :D

Hope you are yours are having a wonderful time srphnx. I am thoroughly enjoying this post. :)[/QUOTE]
[b]You have 4 years to use your deposit. If you don't, you get your money back. It's an absolutely "no lose" situation. Plus you will get shipboard credit and you will have other cruises to look forward to.[/b]

[b]2. Sabatini is not free on Sapphire/Diamond. There is a $20 fee to eat there. Sterling is free because it is part of a 4-themed dining choice so far available only on Sapphire/Diamond.[/b]

Archived