Srphnx live on Sapphire instead of Diamond for once

srphnx

Air travel in 2004, we flew Alaska Air and generally like them just fine We all know glamour has been absent from air travel for some time, gone are the days of elegance and service, it is transportation now, nothing more. I accept that with good grace.

As I am a “fluffy” passenger, proudly wearing the hard earned pounds that only concentrated eating efforts aboard a cruise ship can set in place, so I expect to be cramped, but this is ridiculous, seats are now two ritz crackers wide and I am well over that. After wedging my “low center of gravity” in place, I then had to find a way to angle my shoulders into the allocated airspace above. Here is a tip for all you annoyingly normal sized people who insist on keeping your whole seat to yourselves. Always book a window because us fat guys NEVER book a middle seat. I now have a new joint in my body or rather a hinge, roughly two inches to the left of my spine and running its length. So I now list as one of my talent the ability to fold myself into a shoulder rounded “U” shape.

Embarkation City Seattle:

Most round trip Alaskan cruises depart from Vancouver as my first three did. I like the city and always try to have a little extra time there, I was happy to find that I like Seattle just as much but in different ways. Seattle is a great destination for tourists. Most of the great things to do are clichéd but they are clichéd for a reason, they are fun. We can’t come here without going to Pike Street market, it would get you fined by the chamber of commerce. The space needle, the seafood restaurants, the water front, China town etc are all must-do’s.

We don't embark till tomorrow, Sapphire is still at sea on its way to Victoria with it's last batch of "practice passegers". We are at the Sea-Tac Marriot which I can heartily recommend (free shuttle, nice rooms, decent resturaunt). We set sail tomorrow and hope to me able to post pics as well if we can use the wireless internet connection as we expect to.

We plan on posting twice daily when possible, a stem to stern review of all the things we do, no tips on bingo sorry, that is such a sucker bet..

Thanks Steve! Looking forward to reading your take on the ship and the trip. One thing... the hubby is wondering about the 'calmness' factor leaving from Seattle as opposed to Vancouver. It seems like you'll spend a little more time over open water and a little less time on the inside passage. Let us know what you think about it. We're thinking about this trip next summer. Be sure to take notes over what food not to miss! LOL!

TinaLee

OK Steve, here are my Sapphire questions (and thank you for taking the time out of your cruise to keep us posted):

Is salmon still available every night? If not, is it ever on the menu?

What are the fitness center hours?

How much are washers and dryers, and is detergent available?

How much (per day) is the soda card?

Your thoughts, please, on the best items from the themed menus for the Anytime dining rooms?

Thanks again...we'll be on the Sapphire for 30 nights, and it's a bit like buying real estate. Have fun.

Thanks Steve! Looking forward to reading your take on the ship and the trip. One thing... the hubby is wondering about the 'calmness' factor leaving from Seattle as opposed to Vancouver. It seems like you'll spend a little more time over open water and a little less time on the inside passage. Let us know what you think about it. We're thinking about this trip next summer. Be sure to take notes over what food not to miss! LOL!

TinaLee

I have sailed R/T from Vancouver three times, and this is the second from Seattle, I would say that the Seattle route is a tiny smidge bumpier but both Diamond and Sapphire are extra, extra smooth so it is more or less a wash. Also Seattle is such a great place to spend a day, ok so is Vancouver.

Don't let roughness concerns stop you.

sorry, just thought of something else. How many in your group? Are you doing traditional or anytime (or as you said you like to eat) maybe it should be called all-the time?

If anytime are you thinking about making reservations? and if not, can you let us know how the wait (if any) was?

also, I just can not remember from last year on Star. Does the Horizon Ct. have an area where you can sit in the evening and order from the same menu as that evenings in the regular dining rooms? (did that make sence?)

Thanks, Cat

ps; do you have the doggie cam on?....can we see them?..... 16_2_7.gif

OK Steve, here are my Sapphire questions (and thank you for taking the time out of your cruise to keep us posted):

Is salmon still available every night? If not, is it ever on the menu?

What are the fitness center hours?

How much are washers and dryers, and is detergent available?

How much (per day) is the soda card?

Your thoughts, please, on the best items from the themed menus for the Anytime dining rooms?

Thanks again...we'll be on the Sapphire for 30 nights, and it's a bit like buying real estate. Have fun.

I know a couple of these already from Diamond.

Wash and dry are 4 quarters. Detergent is avialable but many recomend bringing your own so there is no problem with allergic reactions or such also dryer sheets.

Soda card is $20 for 7 days so likely $80 for 30.

Don't recall Salmon on always available will make a point of checking for you. Shrimp cocktail, ceaser salad and fettichinni alfredo are always available.

My picks on the PC menus are guac and chips and catfish in Santa Fe.

Sushi, dim sum and prawn/scallop over glass noodle in Pacific moon.

Oso Buco and ravioli were good in Vivaldi. Prime rib and onion rings in Sterling, also a very good pork chop. You didn't ask about Sabatinis, the grilled lobster there was OUTSTANDING.

On the international, there is a lunch item; lasagne al forno.. exquisite. ALWAYS, always order the sorbet course made with fresh fruit juices daily.

Our group (loosely organized) is 8, we took anytime which is all the time, we eat early and late dinners in two different rooms one at about 6 one about 9. You can't make rezzies for both so we make the early ones upon boarding. Wait isn't an issue unless you are a large group or at the very peak times. HC has an area for sit down it is called Bistro service and at least during the late at night time it is a different menu.

sorry, just thought of something else. How many in your group? Are you doing traditional or anytime (or as you said you like to eat) maybe it should be called all-the time?

If anytime are you thinking about making reservations? and if not, can you let us know how the wait (if any) was?

also, I just can not remember from last year on Star. Does the Horizon Ct. have an area where you can sit in the evening and order from the same menu as that evenings in the regular dining rooms? (did that make sence?)

Thanks, Cat

AkaWanda says you sound like you are having a good time, wait untill you are on the ship:D it will be even better........sorry I keep thinking of things to ask. If you remember and have time, please. Is there ice cream in Horizon Ct. at a certain time of day? Is it the terrific no-matter-what-flavor-you-order-it-is-delicious-Princess' "home" made?

Also, if you do the afternoon tea, some idea of the style of dress? Are you per chance going to the gardens....(bush, burch, bucharest, budwiser???) in Victoria?

Yes on the icecream in HC usually about tea time which is come as you are,no shorts or barefeet.

No on the garden, but that is because the Sapphire Itinery gets in so late that it would be dark soon after we got there.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions. What are you going to be doing in the ports?

Are you doing the White Pass R.R. ? Do I remember you writting you collected fridge magnets? The little red cabbose like gift shop outside the train stop has some real nice ones. Oh, and if you have one of those, "please look for a set of bear claw salad scoopers" lists or just want to do some gift shopping...........check your prices before you buy anything. We were up last year at this time and no kidding, we found as much as a 10-12 dollar difference for the exact same thigs from one store to another. They are marking things down as this is end of season (which I am sure you know).

addendum: oh oh, lostdart58 now I feel bad, asking all the questions, so........never mind!..:D

Srphnx,

You are on holiday mate...........DISCONNECT AND STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTOR!!

:D :D

Best regards....lostdart58

I am not on board yet, I am in a hotel waiting and my favorite way to do that is chat with my CC friends.

Catmand, second run to Alaska this year, 5th overall, no more bear claws for me. Great Alaska T-shirt co. has the best magnet selection and we do shop well usually coming home with less than$20 worth of stuff unless something is really special. As to excursions.. car rental and self guided. We done ALL the others now we just get a $50 car and do our own.

Glad you're off to a good start, Steve. I'd like to know when you board the Sapphire and explore the ship if it seems exactly like you're on the Diamond. That will make you feel like you're back on your ship. I can't wait to see the Diamond next month.

I asked on another thread where you were. Now I know!!

Have a great time! :D

P.S. I take it your free shuttle is from the airport to the hotel. But not to the cruiseport, right? Or did you rent a car? How did you get around Seattle, beings Sea-Tac isn't too close?

We're still considering downtown hotels for our June cruise. So, thanks!!!

BTW, I'd love to see Butchart Gardens lit up in the evening! I've been daytime, a couple of times. Beautiful! :)

Okay Steve, you should be on the ship now. Woo Hoo! Yea! Please let us know what the wildlife viewing is like. I'd really like to try Alaska again next year in the late fall.

Also, any Sapphire vs. Diamond reviews would be great!

Have a wonderful voyage:):D:)

Sniff...I had to give up this great ship to Sphnx. I just got home from a fabulous week onboard, and was so sorry to leave my great waiter and asst waiter. The only good news is I will be on for the repostioning in 2 weeks, so will be happy to see them again! (I am actually going to take them to lunch next Sunday and a visit through Seattle, i can't wait!!!!!)

HAVE FUN! I know you will Sphnx! I left you lots of lobster tail, although my table mates tried to eat it all single handledly!

Embarkation Terminal Seattle:

We have been to terminal 30 once before this year, that was the ill fated Diamond May 22nd sailing. She had hit the pier in Victoria and was many hours late, most of the pax were shuttled to Seattle center and then back when Diamond finally limped in.

This time, the ship was there on time and that was a great start to the day. Our habit is to get there early and make the terminal a part of our cruise, we always find the others who also get there as early are just as excited and ebullient about cruising as we are and the lines are fertile soil in which to plant the seeds of cruising friendships.

Admittedly this terminal is not all that nice being pretty Spartan and not nearly large enough especially in ever drizzly Seattle. Princess is rightfully known for its efficient handling of embarkation with many stations and lines in which to process the arriving passengers.

Being very early, we get processed with nearly no lines and then cruise card in sweaty hands, we wait for the clock to loose us on the ship. Princess makes a point of boarding Elites and Platinum status Captain Circle members first along with those in need of assistance so our low boarding number doesn’t get us on first but within a few minutes of first. Pax aboard. Off to our standard cabin, clean and ready, up to HC for a nice buffet meal a mingle with our newly made friends and back to our cabin for a nap. A stop at the pursers got me my prepaid card and confirmed that platinum does indeed pay for wireless but not terminal internet use but that may change soon or so they hope, evidently that is a tough sell to those they try to explain it to.

Sapphire is an identical Sister to Diamond so we know our way around from the first step on Promenade deck (7). Being anytime diners we know to head for a phone and make our weeks reservations at the PC 4 rooms and Sabatinis. A nice lady from Scotland took our information and we got exactly what we wanted, according to her we were the second call so I will have to be faster in the future.

More coming after we cast off!

Archived