Why the boxing ring????

JPTexan82

thank you for explaining. Guess I never paid attention on our Explorer or Mariner Cruises!

(probably because I don't do hot tubs, although I just HAD to try the cantilever jacuzzi on Freedom;)!)

We were on the Navigator of the Seas and then the Liberty of the Seas within a two week span this spring so we were able to get a pretty good idea of the changes between the Voyager and Freedom Class ships. They are more similar than different. We like to think of Freedom Class as Voyager Class on steroids. Contrary to popular belief the Freedom Class ships are not wider than Voyager Class, just longer.

We were on the Navigator of the Seas and then the Liberty of the Seas within a two week span this spring so we were able to get a pretty good idea of the changes between the Voyager and Freedom Class ships. They are more similar than different. We like to think of Freedom Class as Voyager Class on steroids. Contrary to popular belief the Freedom Class ships are not wider than Voyager Class, just longer.

Yep, I agree. The flowrider however is, IMO, the most innovative thing I have ever seen on a ship though. I don't know how they can trump that ace. I would never have thought of that idea in a million years! :)

Yep, I agree. The flowrider however is, IMO, the most innovative thing I have ever seen on a ship though. I don't know how they can trump that ace. I would never have thought of that idea in a million years! :)

Also adding the Diamond Lounge was a big improvement. And the balconies on the Freedom Class ships are much deeper than Voyager Class.

Also adding the Diamond Lounge was a big improvement. And the balconies on the Freedom Class ships are much deeper than Voyager Class.

I did notice the balcony difference, as far as the Diamond lounge, well we are still lowly platinum level :(:D

2 more after this January Monarch cruise and were livin' like kings!!!!!:p

The boxing ring is in the location where the T-pool was on all the Voyager Class ships. We've heard rumors the boxing ring will not be on the Independence of the Seas which will be the third and last Freedom Class ships. Hopefully Royal has realized the boxing ring was a dumb idea. Bring the T-pool back.

Every once in a while they build something that doesn't work out. Remember Spinners on the Voyager? That design didn't make it to the later Voyager class ships and was eventually replaced on the Voyager herself. The boxing ring strikes me as the same type of thing....

Contrary to popular belief the Freedom Class ships are not wider than Voyager Class, just longer.

According to the ship specs the Freedom class ships have a max beam of 184 feet while Voyager class ships have a max beam of 156 feet. That's 28 feet difference to me.

The hot tub inm the gym is a bad idea. The temperature is usually too hot and the hot tub doesn't help that. The boxing ring was used several times on our Freedom cruise....a couple was working out with an instructor a few times. That hardly justifies putting it there. I would rather see them add a line of arc trainers such as the ones on Princess ships, or a resistance pool where REAL swimmers can get a decent workout.

I'd love to see the boxing ring go. I agree that it's a waste of space. We never saw anyone using it on our Freedom cruise.

They should close it in and put something else there. Either a spa bath, a huge hot tub, a resistance pool. On Disney they had "Chakra Balancing Capsules"...I LOVED those. What about some private spa baths for Rasul treatments. They don't have those on Freedom class. :rolleyes: But they are on the Voyager class.

Just seems like there are so many other things that can be done with that area.

Just jumping in here, I think I recall seeing (on 'The Making of the Mega Ships dvd) that they tried to make Explorer wider than Voyager but were unsuccessful BUT that on the first Freedom class they succeeded. (Wish I had time to watch it now and let ya know for sure. Hmmm, I think it is at the end of the dvd..maybe later) Stay tuned lol

Kick boxing is so big now, I guess:confused: it seemed like a good idea to RCI!?

Just jumping in here, I think I recall seeing (on 'The Making of the Mega Ships dvd) that they tried to make Explorer wider than Voyager but were unsuccessful BUT that on the first Freedom class they succeeded. (Wish I had time to watch it now and let ya know for sure. Hmmm, I think it is at the end of the dvd..maybe later) Stay tuned lol

Kick boxing is so big now, I guess:confused: it seemed like a good idea to RCI!?

yeah, I think your on to something with the "seemed like a good idea". I don't know this for sure, but that made me think, does RCCL take polls, see what real cruisers think and want and take heed to that?? Maybe one day we will see some staff members with clip boards walking around the pool deck taking polls on what we would like to see implemented and what needs to go. That would be amazing! :D

I can't see many cruisers out there saying "hey I would like to see a boxing ring on the ship" . I am curious how these designers and executives come up with ideas like this. If they would ALL log on to Cruise Critic everyday they would get lots of ideas from us executive cruisiers :D:p

thank you for explaining. Guess I never paid attention on our Explorer or Mariner Cruises!

(probably because I don't do hot tubs, although I just HAD to try the cantilever jacuzzi on Freedom;)!)

I hope that experience changed your misconceptions of hot tubs and broke you of that! Now if we could just get RCI to leave one tub over 100 open all night, for us 3rd ship soakers.

On the liberty they have the boxing ring and I never saw any one us it. I saw a couple of displays on there offering teeth cleaning, they should get rid of it, does any one agree????

Isn't it there for those who are placed at inside lifeboat stations to duke it out for a life boat vs. a life raft? :D

Seems like a real oops on the part of some designer, and I am surprised it has not already been replaced. I doubt that the average cruiser would consider playing in that ring...and more of them would climb the wall.

According to the ship specs the Freedom class ships have a max beam of 184 feet while Voyager class ships have a max beam of 156 feet. That's 28 feet difference to me.

That extra 28 ft. is most likely the whirlpools protruding from the sides of the Freedom class ships.

I hope that experience changed your misconceptions of hot tubs and broke you of that! Now if we could just get RCI to leave one tub over 100 open all night, for us 3rd ship soakers.

LOL!

I just can't stand hot water. I take lukewarm showers, my family thanks me in the morning for saving them all the hot water :p

Over 100? oweeee!!:D:eek:

until we started cruising we never really used hot tubs...but sitting in the hot tub (especially the one on the Freedom class ships) with a drink and just relaxing at night is a great way to enjoy the vacation

Amen! We usually cruise at the end of April, so even in the caribbean, the nights get a little cooler, the tubs need to be at least 100F, mine is usually still at 102 that time of year.

On the liberty they have the boxing ring and I never saw any one us it. I saw a couple of displays on there offering teeth cleaning, they should get rid of it, does any one agree????

I am on the Freedom right now. When I first boarded, I said to myself----I am so achy and stressed from travelling....I am going for a fabulous soak in the deep whirlpool in the gym.....

I got to the gym and lo and behold, the whirlpool is nowhere to be found, and there in its place is the awful, fairly useless boxing ring. I can't believe they blew off that beautiful whirlpool. What a pity.

(Also I can't believe that most of the plants on the ship are artificial.....plastic shrubs on the pool deck!)

Leslie

Archived