Knock off watches in Straw Market?

FMCowboy

While I would certainly care if I found that organized crime or child labor were involved, I am not really worried about the designers. It is not like people are buying the knock offs in place of the real thing. People that want - and can afford - the real thing will buy it. People buy knock offs because they are a cheap, fun accessory......

Agreed . On our cruise on Majesty last May, 2 women at our dinner table from NY actually worked for Coach. We talked about it, and they actually said the knock offs are not bad . They also said the company could reallly care less about the fakes, as they really do not cut into their sales. they have some what of a certain customer. Someone who buys their product will not buy the fakes any how.

Agreed . On our cruise on Majesty last May, 2 women at our dinner table from NY actually worked for Coach. We talked about it, and they actually said the knock offs are not bad . They also said the company could reallly care less about the fakes, as they really do not cut into their sales. they have some what of a certain customer. Someone who buys their product will not buy the fakes any how.

not true for me, i have purchased 3 fake Coaches, all looking fantastic, good fakes. However, 2 fell apart badly after a few months to a year, and one is still holding up beautifully, it's smaller and I love it. I do however own 3 real Coaches as well. I will not buy any more knock offs though, I just have bad luck with the quality. I think my one fake Coach will last a very long time though, got lucky with that one :) I usually buy my knock offs at purse parties that I sometimes go too, I bought a Coach purse at the Coach store in St. Marteen 3 years ago. (no tax and about $75 dollars less than in the states, I was thrilled!):D

We don't usually buy knock offs but in St. Thomas my husband purchased a Tag knockoff 10 years ago and it still works. We only changed the battery once and even the jeweler said how realistic it was. Keeps time great. Don't go into the purses and other knock of stuff.

yep - believe me, I hear both sides - I work in the modeling/talent industry. Most of the time when a girl goes to New York, the first place she goes is Canal Street and they all know how to "work it" since the vendors there get busted on a regular basis. Some of the fakes there are unbelievable - actually I think some "fakes" are stolen. It's a whole different world than the Straw Markets where the materials are not even close to being comparable. Here's one that'll make the Coach lovers green with envy - DH used to work for a company that was part of the Coach conglomerate. Once a year employees were offered a catalogue of merchandise for sale at ROCK bottom. I've got 2 Coach bags from that time ( he doesn't work there anymore) and then one that I got in San Juan at the outlet. Hey - a girl's gotta love a bargain. :D

I can tell you the customs people in Australia can spot a knock off from a mile away. I would be very surprised if your customs people were any different given the size of the problem.

The easiest way to spot a knock off is just look at the clothes the person is wearing (apart from the terrible stitching, the plastic lining, spelling mistakes in the logo)

My wife bought a purse in Nassau, I think she packed it in our baggage and we had no problem.

I can tell you the customs people in Australia can spot a knock off from a mile away. I would be very surprised if your customs people were any different given the size of the problem.

The easiest way to spot a knock off is just look at the clothes the person is wearing (apart from the terrible stitching, the plastic lining, spelling mistakes in the logo)

My wife bought a purse in Nassau, checked it in her baggage and had no problems.

That ws going to be my question. If my wife buys a bag or two and I buy a watch or too, will we have issues packing in our luggage? What's the bets way not to have customs issues with buying knockoffs. And please no replies stating that "not buying them is the best way to avoid custom troubles"

FM

If my wife buys a bag or two and I buy a watch or too, will we have issues packing in our luggage?

It's not against the law to bring back replica items into the US. There are restrictions, but according to the US Customs and Border Protection website, you can import one item of each type every thirty days providing it is for personal use and not for resale. That means that you and your wife can legally bring in two purses and two watches.

As for people that decry replicas, you must not have seen some of the watches that I have seen in Mexico. They are excellent quality with Seiko movements. Of course they don't cost $10-$20, but they are a fraction of the cost of the real thing.

The knock offs are horrible. They are poorly made and do not pass for the real thing.

My ex bought a fake Rolex watch and everyone laughed at it.

The fake Chanel bags have mistakes in the sewing and look totally FAKE.

If you are lucky enough to find a fake Louis Vuiton they will cost about $200 per bag and seem very well made.

EXACTLY! Well said! My sentiments.

Except regarding the Louis Vuitton bags. They too, the LV monogram is 'off' and the wrong color- there is really nothing that looks authentic unless you're 12 feet away..they all look fake and it is 'considered' a federal offense to buy or sell knock offs..Why do people wear them when others laugh at them? (having said that, you wil have no problem getting them back home if you like that kind of stuff)

My wife bought a purse in Nassau, checked it in her baggage and had no problems.

I think its more of a problem if you have a lot of them and then its considered importing. One or two could be what you took away qith you anyway.

There is a TV show here called Border Security and they show Customs going through people's luggage looking for contraband. They found handbags in one person's luggage and they could tell straight away they were knock offs but there weren't enough of them to prosecute the person but I think they confiscated them.

i guess being a first timer i should not buy anything that is considered having a little fun guess i should be like the seasoned people and stay away from straw market? any other "oh great unfun ones ideas"

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. I wouldn't consider myself "seasoned" or "unfun" but I didn't particularly enjoy my 10 minutes at the straw market.

[I][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]I used to pride myself in being able to spot quality leather. Over the years I've gotten some really beautiful lambskin bags in St. Thomas & St. Maarten. Knockoffs, not the real thing. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008080][/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008080]As of last year the leather bags are no longer leather. They look great, smell like leather, but I finally asked in a shop selling them and they said "no". In the tent markets they still say they are leather. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008080]I was in Wal Mart the other day and a lady admired my bag, then she said that you can always tell quality leather by the wonderful smell. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was a fake. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008080]Every bag I've ever bought has held up beautifully but I change them constantly so they don't get alot of wear. I compared the Coach bag in a Coach store and I really could not tell the difference. I've taken my "Chanel" lambskin evening bag on every cruise for the last 7 years and it still looks like brand new. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008080]I agree with the poster who said check to them out carefully before you buy. I've also found in the tent markets in St. Thomas that they stick a Prada tag on a Chloe and so on. :eek: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/I]

Archived