Wheelchair rental - urgent help needed please

38anchor

I am going on FOS this Christmas - departing 23 December. Also on the same cruise is my mum, nan and sister. We are from the UK (and not actually travelling together - we are meeting them onbaord as they are travelling down from Orlando).

Now my nan is mid 80's and my mum is hoping to rent a wheelchair for her use onboard.

has anyone ever had any experience of this - who do you use. Can you do this through RCI directly or is there a 3rd party to use. My mum thought she had it all sorted with someone she found on the internet, but it sounds like its fallen through.

I think she is panicking a bit as she is going to have to find where to drop the car off (Dollar I think), then manage all the suitcases etc with my nan who is not that mobile, and my sister is only 15.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Okay... I suggest your sister drop off your nan, younger sister, and luggage at the cruise terminal before returning the car. RCCL has wheelchairs that you can use from as soon as you arrive. You just need to find an employee to help track one down. Then she can return the car and catch the shuttle back without having to worry about hauling anything.

As for wheelchair rental for once you leave port there are 2 companies that come to mind. Here are links for them... http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/html/wheelchairs.html and http://www.scootaround.com/rentals.htm I always bring my own but I've heard of others who have used either. Scootaround is the one I think I've heard used more often.

Don't know if this has been addressed or not...

It also has information about diabetics.

I recently emailed special needs and this is what they sent back to me.

==================================================

Royal Caribbean does provide wheelchairs to assist the guest in

embarkation and

disembarkation of their cruise vacation (only). If the guest requires a

wheelchair

to use at any time during the course of their cruise they can bring

their own or

rent from an outside vendor who will deliver it to the ship.

Royal Caribbean does NOT offer wheelchairs onboard ships.

If guests need a wheelchair they can rent through a rental company.

The following vendors rent wheelchairs to guests with disabilities and

have

security clearance to get on and off of our ships.

Any Port of call which we visit (including Tampa, Galveston, New

Orleans):

Care Vacations: Toll Free: 1-877-478-7827

Special Needs @ Sea: 1-800-513-4515

Cruiseship Assist: Toll Free:1-866-889-8099

If a guest is going to bring their own powered wheelchair or powered

scooter advise them to fax a letter with name, ship, sail date and

dimensions

to 305-539-6666.

Guests should obtain a prescription/letter from their doctor stating

what their condition is and the reason why they are carrying the insulin

and/or syringes. This letter is not for Royal Caribbean, it is for US

CUSTOMS. Guests should forward a copy of the letter to the Access

Department via fax 305-539-6666. The Access Department will advise the

ship of the necessary information. Include the name of the ship, sail

date, and booking number so that the fax can be referenced with the

booking/reservation. A mini-refrigerator and a sharps container will be

placed in the guest’s stateroom prior to arrival. There is no charge for

either item.

when we cruise with my parents my Dad needs a wheelchair. Our TA has secured it for us. It was waiting for my Dad in his cabin. At the port (as previously mentioned) the porter will quickly get you a wheelchair that can be used all the way to your cabin. (but there are none RCI lets pax take onto islands. On Labadee if you're stopping there, they have special Sand wheelchairs & as soon as you get off the tender, ask for assistance. They are gracious and very quick).

Go with one of the companies mentioned or call your TA for advice, maybe they can contract one for you.

Do NOT count on RCCL to provide a wheelchair. They once promised me one for my husband's use and could not provide it because other passengers who had not requested them kept the ones they used for boarding. When i complained they criticized me for not bringing my own which i would have done if they had not promised me one.

We had good experience renting a chair from CareVacations which will deliver to the ship; however, it might be less expensive to rent one at home and bring it with you.

We rented a 'transport chair' for our cruises. We rented it locally for $40. a month. The transport chair can be folded and is not heavy. It must be pushed tho'. The patient cannot wheel it himself because all 4 wheels are small.

It fit nicely in an inside cabin and was easy to navigate in the dining rooms and Windjammer.

Thanks for all your prompt replies.

My mum has decided to order one from Cruise ship assist. She has given all the details to our TA to pass onto RCI so hopefully it will be in the cabin when they board.

She has also decided to drop the car off the day before (as that is when she gets into Miami) and just use taxi's and hopefully wheelchairs to 'borrow' at the port until she boards (if she needs one).

Thanks for all your prompt replies.

My mum has decided to order one from Cruise ship assist. She has given all the details to our TA to pass onto RCI so hopefully it will be in the cabin when they board.

She has also decided to drop the car off the day before (as that is when she gets into Miami) and just use taxi's and hopefully wheelchairs to 'borrow' at the port until she boards (if she needs one).

From the mail below RCI just provide a list of approved suppliers - they will not get in touch with them and organise your wheelchair for you - I suggest that you do it yourself then you know it has been organised.

From the mail below RCI just provide a list of approved suppliers - they will not get in touch with them and organise your wheelchair for you - I suggest that you do it yourself then you know it has been organised.

Misunderstanding I think - My mum has organised the wheelchair herself, but given the details to our TA to give to RCI, as they will need this information to let the wheelchair on, and security I believe.

Unfortunately, our TA over here had no idea how to go about getting a wheelchair, so it was all left up to us.

Archived