Shallow water sknokeling

Best of

My DH wants to snorkel, but does not want to be in deep water. He likes to be able to come in and go out as he pleases. Does anyone know of an beach area that has lots of fish, and that rents beach chairs for me?

My DH wants to snorkel, but does not want to be in deep water. He likes to be able to come in and go out as he pleases. Does anyone know of an beach area that has lots of fish, and that rents beach chairs for me?

Folkstone has good shore-access snorkeling, and rents chairs. It's more or a grassy area than a sandy beach, but the snorkeling is good and it's easy to get there via taxi.

If you do decide to go to Folkestone, walk to the right as you face the water, around the rocky point - you will come to a beautiful beach at a resort with snorkeling over the same reef but a much nicer out-of-the-water environment. You cannot use the chairs (they're for the guests of the resort) but all beaches on Barbados are open to the public so no one will question you using the beach itself. There is a very nice looking restaurant there but we didn't go in and I'm not sure if it's open to the public. Folkestone is OK, but we found it to be kind of run down and dirty and the the vendors were VERY aggressive. It is relatively close to the cruise port however and the snorkeling is good if the water isn't too murky.

Hope this helps!

If you do decide to go to Folkestone, walk to the right as you face the water, around the rocky point - you will come to a beautiful beach at a resort with snorkeling over the same reef but a much nicer out-of-the-water environment. You cannot use the chairs (they're for the guests of the resort) but all beaches on Barbados are open to the public so no one will question you using the beach itself. There is a very nice looking restaurant there but we didn't go in and I'm not sure if it's open to the public. Folkestone is OK, but we found it to be kind of run down and dirty and the the vendors were VERY aggressive. It is relatively close to the cruise port however and the snorkeling is good if the water isn't too murky.

Hope this helps!

That would be either Coral Reef Club, or The Colony Club,

right next door to each other and equally classy. I know them well!

Yes, Folkestone is poorly run (Government!!) but please bear with it.

and yes, walking to the right will take you North..

..in fact if you take off from the small beach just before you get on to the first resort's property(Coral Reef Club)

there's good snorkelling there starting from that small beach belonging to Bellairs Research Inst. of McGill Univ. where I used to work as a lad.

You'll see a black 4 in.dia. rubber hose running across the beach, out to a buoy:

that hose supplies the salt water circulation

for the water-tables at the Institute...and you'll know you're There!

Go out from 'There' and work your way even further North,

snorkelling the reef in front of both resorts,

ending up in front of Heron Bay (white coral stone wall - very Private!)

(J.C.Bamford's property - he makes those JCB excavators/diggers/earthmovers)

Yes, technically by law, all beaches up to the hi-water driftline are public

Hi Aplmac - thanks for good info, as always - you're the best!

I just checked out the Coral Reef Club web site. Oh my goodness.

Just beautiful.

Now all I have to do is win Mega Bucks lottery and I'll be able to afford it!

Many Thanks for the kind words.

Wanna see pretty?

go to

http://www.angelfire.com/wizard2/cncisland/bigships/scenes.html

where I have several links to Beaches etc.

That Accra page I put together last night

is particularly dreamy. You'll see...

You were in the wrong place when you talk about aggressive vendors! Not at Folkestone beach.

There is one clothes vendor, a nice little lady, a chair renter, and a gentleman who sells at the small bar. Also many government rangers who do a good job. I was there and did not see the aggresive vendors you talk about.

Archived