HELP! Best tips for nice abs...

bnsilly

Have been working my butt off at the gym...still need to lose some weight, and definitely still need to get abs in shape....

What are your best tips for great abs? Best exercises, etc???:confused: and also for losing weight..I am down to 6 weeks..I am not beyond trying a diet pill, etc...HELP!

Have been working my butt off at the gym...still need to lose some weight, and definitely still need to get abs in shape....

What are your best tips for great abs? Best exercises, etc???:confused: and also for losing weight..I am down to 6 weeks..I am not beyond trying a diet pill, etc...HELP!

if you find one let me know-I was a sucker for all kinds of gym equipement, toners, diets, etc. and nothing worked for me and I did this for YEARS. I have still not completely thrown in the towel on that issue either. I still try, I have though, just more or less accepted I am what I am.

I feel it has more to do with the genes you inherited- because I have been small and still had the gutt and now that I am bigger, and I am bigger all over I still have the gutt.

Any exercises you do on the ball (such as chest or arms) automatically works your abs too, because of the balance required.

One of my favorites is push-ups using the ball (under your feet, shins, knees, thighs--depending on how tough a push-up you want to do) and after you come up from the push-up--pull the ball into your chest and push back out (roll, I guess) Really works your lower abs.

I just pull out my man girdle and hope the velcro doesn't fail me during dinner.

That SHLipppppppppppp ripping noise can be kind of embarrasing:o .

Dave:eek:

Unfortunately that won't work while trying to don a bikini....:D

Unfortunately that won't work while trying to don a bikini....:D

buy one of those tee shirts with the sexy fiugre on it and pretend! but ya know you are worrying for nothing. You will find more overweight people then avrage weight and underweight people on a cruiseship-sort've like looking at a cross section of the local mall.

and yes plenty are wearing bikinis that are not rail thin.

Another vote for the ball. I use the Core Secrets program. You can pick the starter kit up at Target for around $40ish. It includes the ball, video, pump, etc... I lost 20 inches in a 2 month time frame using it.

20 inches in the midsection or all over? did you measure yourself the same time of day? I know my measurents in the morning are much smaller then at night-time I take in the measuremnets of everything-there is a good ten inch differance.

You may have fantastic abs, but if you have excess fat in the area of your abs, your flat tummy will not show. The key is to reduce fat. Aerobic activity is the best way to reduce fat. Trouble is, genetics has a lot to do with where one's body fat is distributed. I've seen quite slender people without a six pack and quite "well nourished" people who had fairly respectable abs.

My best advice. Don't give up your admirable efforts. Sooner or later they will pay off, maybe not as quickly as you wish however.

Heavysurf is exactly right. Body fat distribution is different for everyone. If your body stores more fat in the waist area, then that will be the very last place that gets lean, when losing weight. It sucks, but that's that way it works. And that will be the FIRST place you gain it back too. You can work your abs all day long 7 days a week, but if you don't get out there and burn off the fat, you'll never see a six-pack under the fat.

And hopefully you know that there is no such thing as "spot reducing"...those commercials are bunk. You cannot control what area on your body will lose fat, that is completely a genetics things. However, if you discipline yourself to eat right, increase your aerobic activity (at least 30 min a day for conditioning but an hour a day is better for those looking to lose weight), and develop a routine strength training program, you CAN resculpt your body. Promise. ;)

Thanks guys...will continue to do what I've been doing and maybe step it up a notch..Have been doing 45 min of cardio 5X week and weight machines and crunches as well...I do feel like my abs are one of the last places to shape up so maybe it will show up soon...:o :p

Try switching it up (instead of/in addition to stepping it up) Try different cardio & try free weights instead of weight machines. The body gets used to a certain thing and expends less energy doing it--by forcing your body to do something new, it has to expend more energy. Good luck!

I play soccer and ref soccer and sleep soccer. Needless to say I HAVE to watch what I do to my body! Im not thin but Im in shape and can run with the best on the field!

I went from 215 pounds down to 165.... size 18 to size 8 in about 5 months. Granted you dont have that time but here are my biggest tips....

Yogurt every other morning- add granola, add milk, get those desert tasting ones.... the bacterias in yogurt prevent bloating.

Eggs- boiled.... have a spare one in the fridge. That and a banana will curb almost any craving. Peanut butter and apples... get serious on your snacks.

35 sit ups a day- lay on the floor with your hands criss cross over your chest. sit up just enough that you feel a burn and hold it. For me, its about 5 inches up. When you sit up, exhale so you hear yourself.... push that air out! There was some study a couple years ago that found people who did 33-35 sit ups gentle and held it, had the same, if not better results, than people who did 100 a day of the 'all the way up' type sit ups.

Dont forget 20 of those 'laying sideways and lifting your leg 90 degrees' to work your love handles. Lay on your back and move those legs all over the air.... its working your abs whether you feel it or not!!!

These three things will tone your muscle and flab enough to look fit.... even if you still have a bit to loose :)

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

You may have fantastic abs, but if you have excess fat in the area of your abs, your flat tummy will not show. The key is to reduce fat. Aerobic activity is the best way to reduce fat. Trouble is, genetics has a lot to do with where one's body fat is distributed. I've seen quite slender people without a six pack and quite "well nourished" people who had fairly respectable abs.

My best advice. Don't give up your admirable efforts. Sooner or later they will pay off, maybe not as quickly as you wish however.

Yep. Gotta get rid of the fat to see the abs. If you are carrying extra fat around your middle, doing tons of ab work will actually make your stomach larger because you are building muscle but not getting rid of fat.

So make sure you up your cardio if you are doing a lot of ab work.

I think consistency is the key. If you maintain a daily ab routine, you will see results. I've seen this on myself (though it is a struggle to have the discipline to keep it up everyday).

As mentioned above, you can make more of a pot out of your stomach if you aren't careful with your crunches. Just pretend to press your belly button to the floor when you're doing your workout and be aware of your belly going outward when doing the crunches. I've done some belly dancing and I see a lot of belly dancers who are very slim everywhere else, but they've developed their belly muscles (from certain moves they make) and actually have 'pot bellies'.

My problem isn't the tone, it's the couple of pounds around the waist I've got to lose to show off the tone.

Good luck.

20 inches in the midsection or all over? did you measure yourself the same time of day? I know my measurents in the morning are much smaller then at night-time I take in the measuremnets of everything-there is a good ten inch differance.

That was overall. 6 of those 20 were from my waist, 7 from the bust and 4 from the hips. I also measured my thighs, calves, and bicep but those were minimal losses for me. I really don't have much fat there but rather they just need toning badly. The program also includes exercises for the arms, legs, back, hips, etc.. all while seated on the ball. Your abs stay engaged while balancing so your abs are working too!

I always measure at the same time of day, which is at night for me. It's easier to do that when you don't have three kids looking at you with that odd look saying "Mom, what are you doing?" :)

Try cutting out all red meat except 8 oz a week. Also drink plenty liquids (sugar free), don't eat past 4 hours before bedtime, and stay away from the fruit and fruit juices (it's natural sugar but still breaks down as fat)!

Also staying away from everything that is white will help you lose those extra pounds and inches.

Try cutting out all red meat except 8 oz a week. Also drink plenty liquids (sugar free), don't eat past 4 hours before bedtime, and stay away from the fruit and fruit juices (it's natural sugar but still breaks down as fat)!

Also staying away from everything that is white will help you lose those extra pounds and inches.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't stress so much about it... if you don't reach your goal before your cruise, you are setting yourself up for a big disappointment. Learn to accept (and LIKE) yourself for who and what you are. Being willing to risk your overall health to shed a few pounds (being willing to try diet pills for example) is indicative of other issues.

The golden rule for weight loss: Burn more calories than you consume. Eat a balanced diet. Fad diets with rapid weight loss are never permanent. Most of the weight lost on those types of diets is usually water. Look after yourself and happy cruising!

Dee

Archived