cabins porthole v no porthole

Hi Guys

I am looking at a cruise on the dawn princess in nov next year:)

Can get a twin inside cabin on II deck for $4400 for both us.Agent thinks we should take one with port hole which will cost an extra $1500. (this could be large chunk of spending money) She felt you where more likley to get sea sick & lose track of time of day & sleep in to long as you did not know what time of day it was due to no light:confused: What have fellow cc's experienced in this area.

Also I from what I can see Dawn princess is identical to the Sun has anybody seen or been on her

thanks

Having a window is always better than not having one,but so is a balcony and a suite.

You wont spend much time in the cabin,so if you think it will cost too much extra for a porthole ($1500:eek: ) then go for the inside cabin and hope for a free upgrade.

Cabins are a place to get change in so you can go to the dinning room, and a place to wait around in from late night until breakfast time:D .

If the inside cabin is too dark then go on deck.

Personaly I would expect a large window or balcony for an extra $1500.

Den.

As far as I'm aware, there are no portholes on the Sun/Dawn Princess. There are however, obstructed views. You still get light, but no view as such.:cool:

Don't think it is worth an extra $1500 though.;)

Is this the sort of porthole you are speaking of:

503i9v5.jpg

And like Jarrod has said, there are obstructed outsides which allow light.

Another tip I have read here for inside cabins, is that to keep touch with the world outside, tune the TV into the webcam overnight. As the sun rises, the TV gets brighter and lightens up your cabin.

Cheers

Geoff

That is one serious "porthole"...

I think a travel agent who makes such broad statements as "you are more likley to get sea sick & lose track of time of day & sleep in to long as you did not know what time of day it was due to no light" has either:

a) never been on a cruise or

b) earns a lot more commission for selling the one with the porthole... ;)

Personally, I'd be using the $1500 for spending money.

But on the other hand, where is the cruise going? If it goes to a scenic place like Alaska then you'd want to see out - if it has a lot of ocean sea days there'll be nothing much to see anyway...

I think a travel agent who makes such broad statements as "you are more likley to get sea sick & lose track of time of day & sleep in to long as you did not know what time of day it was due to no light" has either:

But on the other hand, where is the cruise going? If it goes to a scenic place like Alaska then you'd want to see out - if it has a lot of ocean sea days there'll be nothing much to see anyway...

The only problem I had with the inside cabin on Pacific Sun was that I found it hard to orient myself when I came out of the cabin, without a visual reference as to which way the ship was going, and therefore which way was the front. I had no problem with seasickness or the extra darkness.

The only problem I had with the inside cabin on Pacific Sun was that I found it hard to orient myself when I came out of the cabin, without a visual reference as to which way the ship was going, and therefore which way was the front. I had no problem with seasickness or the extra darkness.

"Luckily" for me, I've been in the very back cabin on my 2 cruises this year so if I'd turned the wrong way when I came out the cabin door I would've almost dropped into the Pacific :D .

I have to admit, I do love having a window. It is great to look out and see what kind of day it is and also helps you to know what to put on that day - not that it really mattered to me as I didn't take a jumper anyway!!! But that $1500 is a heck of a lot of cocktails :D and some great duty free so I would go with the inside. :)

we usually travel with our kids so it is the difference times 4. The difference also between inside and out and balcony is too great, much prefer to have the money is my pocket.

on the american ships the difference isnt so big. Our american cruise is only $500 Pp between inside promenade cabins and balcony, It is also not much more to have two cabins on those ships than to have a 4 berth

Thanks guys & agree that was one serious port hole:eek:

The cruise is out of sydney & is for 12 nights to Isle of pines , Dravuni Isl, Suva , Vila & Lifou.

:p

We had a porthole cabin on the Sky & an inside on Sapphire Princess. You had to crane your neck to be able to look out of the porthole & when the sea was rough the stewards bolted the covers shut anyway. The lighting & mirrors in the inside cabin provided plenty of light , but there was no difference in feeling the motion of the ship. i'd use the extra money for spending & watch the sea go by from the deckchairs :)

Frankly , I think a lot depends on what sort of porthole you are talking about.

DSCF0038.jpg

As you can see from this outside twin on the Pacific Star, the window/porthole is not conveniently placed for "looking out of". I can't see that it is really worth too much extra over an inside cabin.

Barry

Thanks guys & agree that was one serious port hole:eek:

The cruise is out of sydney & is for 12 nights to Isle of pines , Dravuni Isl, Suva , Vila & Lifou.

:p

If you look at the P&O brochure the difference between inside and outside is only a few hundred if that! So I don't know where your T/A got $1500 from,unless you are buying a rock bottom price inside cabin on a special deal and the window upgrade takes you to a full price cabin?

A balcony upgrade on the PD only cost us $180 each.

If you look at the P&O brochure the difference between inside and outside is only a few hundred if that! So I don't know where your T/A got $1500 from,unless you are buying a rock bottom price inside cabin on a special deal and the window upgrade takes you to a full price cabin?

A balcony upgrade on the PD only cost us $180 each.

Hi Fishtaco,

I have noticed that too. The second part of your comment is true though. Most of the specials emails I get (not just P&O) offer bargains exclusively on inside guarantee cabins.

Cheers

Geoff

If you like to party a little bit. Inside cabins are actually better (speaking from not recent experience - I'm mature now :p ) but if you need to catch up on sleep the inside cabins are great. You never know if it's night or day. And even if you don't like to party, but feel the need to nanna nap - they're good for that too.

• 2 weeks later...

We had an inside cabin last year but decided this year to have a window. I did like having the window and if you're worried about it being too light too early, don't, those curtains block it all out. It was only an extra $200 ea & that was only for DH & I. 3rd & 4th person are the same cost regardless of inside/outside/deck.

Yes Sam, on the Pacific Sun & Pacific Dawn inside & outside cabins are exactly the same size.

Karen

Archived