Cozumel Jeep Tour

Georgetown Mike

Taken from my Grand Princess review below,

Cozumel

We went on the jeep tour and had quite an adventure. It poured rain and we were drenched by the time we got to the end of the pier. Bring a cheap rain cover! Then we had to slog through water over our ankle to the jeeps. We were lucky- ours had windows- not all do. You will go an hour on a VERY bumpy road. Two jeeps got stuck. Water was very deep in the puddles. We had entertainment from sister in law who squealed and hollered the whole way (afraid we would get stuck). Do not go if you have a real back or neck problem. The excursion warns you of this and we agree. You'll need a chiropractor after this trip.

The ruins are a joke- a little bigger than an outhouse (really). "Authentic Mexican meal" was fruit, soda, fajitas with beef or chicken, and nachos. Brother-in-law enjoyed, but we did not. Flies all over. The people cooking had to keep fanning them away. Something about September when turtles are hatching makes them worse. Beach is beautiful, except we weren't allowed in water because it was too rough. There are no facilities after a quick stop 10 minutes into the trip! I'll let your imagination consider this one, since you spend an hr riding, 30min at ruins, 1hr at beach, 1hr to ride out again. We laughed more on this tour than we did any other time, but I am afraid it really is a bit of a rip-off.

This is SO easy to do on your own. There are jeep rental places within minutes walk of all the piers and rates will be $50-75 per day including insurance, depending on the time of the year. Add another $15-20 for gas and 4 people can spend all day for less than $25 pp (or $50 pp for 2). Getting around is simple...there is virtually only one road around the island and you can stop when and where you want. We've done it numerous times and highly recommend it.

We did this tour about 4 years ago and loved it. I agree if you have back issues it may not be the tour for you. We went in March and things were dry. The swimming was great with good waves. We enjoyed the meal and didn't notice any flies. (there were more at Princess Cays bq) One thing about going on this tour instead of renting your own jeep is if you break down or get lost.

we just did the tour last week. We were in very nice, brand new jeeps. The tour guides did a great job keeping us all together. we left town and followed the road along the coast heading south. We were always on a paved road except for the drive off to the pier. yes, that was bumpy. The ruins were very minimal as compared to what you'd see in say, costmaya. We also snorkled there. I've seen much better snorkling elsewhere but the water was clear, we did see a stingray and a sea turtle. The water wasn't too deep...we went about 200 yards out...off the beach. followed the coastel road again up the eastern coast and stopped for lunch. It was a very tasty lunch compared to some who just serve drinks and cheese. The meal was fajitas, corn chips, fruit and sodas. Take as much as you want. We did make an unnecessary stop to the "pee pee station" I seriously think it's family and they get a cut to bring tourists here....a waste of time.

we've taken jeep tours before in other ports and thought we got more for our money then this one. The tour states we'd go thru tropical forest and see an old church. never saw either of those. No backroads but the view didn't look much different then any ocean blvd drive along the east coast!...just a stony surfside with minimal beach and some resorts maybe tucked beyond the tree lines.

I'd certainly book a different excursion, or rent jeeps myself before booking this excursion again.

However... the weather was great...best day we had all week so it did feel great to drive with no tops and feel the hot sun beating down on us.

we just did the tour last week. We were in very nice, brand new jeeps. The tour guides did a great job keeping us all together. we left town and followed the road along the coast heading south. We were always on a paved road except for the drive off to the pier. yes, that was bumpy. The ruins were very minimal as compared to what you'd see in say, costmaya. We also snorkled there. I've seen much better snorkling elsewhere but the water was clear, we did see a stingray and a sea turtle. The water wasn't too deep...we went about 200 yards out...off the beach. followed the coastel road again up the eastern coast and stopped for lunch. It was a very tasty lunch compared to some who just serve drinks and cheese. The meal was fajitas, corn chips, fruit and sodas. Take as much as you want. We did make an unnecessary stop to the "pee pee station" I seriously think it's family and they get a cut to bring tourists here....a waste of time.

we've taken jeep tours before in other ports and thought we got more for our money then this one. The tour states we'd go thru tropical forest and see an old church. never saw either of those. No backroads but the view didn't look much different then any ocean blvd drive along the east coast!...just a stony surfside with minimal beach and some resorts maybe tucked beyond the tree lines.

I'd certainly book a different excursion, or rent jeeps myself before booking this excursion again.

However... the weather was great...best day we had all week so it did feel great to drive with no tops and feel the hot sun beating down on us.

Looks like my previous post was removed ... probably b/c I referred to a particular company. We did a "dune buggy safari" in Cozumel. It was incredible. The guide was great. We were the only dune buggy in his group (he drove in front of us). We went snorkeling, then we went to a little village, then we went to a private beach where he made us a GREAT lunch of chicken (his mom had cooked), fresh salsa that he made right there and quacamole. After swimming at the private beach, the guide then took us to the Tequila Factory.

Great excursion and the place was just off the ship. If you do a google search, you should find them. But we had a great time.

I never take the ship excursions. There are a ton of operators on Cozumel who charge significantly less and give much more. last time in Cozumel we did a tour through the "jungle" and snorkeling witch included lunch and beer for I think $55.00 per person. This was an all day excursion. Check the web and also the port boards on CC.

Have a blast!

Archived