Cruise to Hawaii

rnjune

We are planning to cruise to Hawaii. We ARE NOT intereted in NCL but we are considering either Royal Caribbean or Celebrity 12 day cruise. We are concerned about sailing on the Pacific for 4 days. Has anyone done this cruise? Which line would you recommend? We do not want to sail round trip from the West Coast. We are interested in your feedback.

Thanks,

June from NJ

We sailed Summit - Celebrity lines - in March 06 to/from LA in 2 weeks.

The sea was very calm, the first seaday was chilly (also the last seaday).

After that it became warmer by the day.

We loved the seadays and the days in port.

We sailed with Celebrity on the Summit R/T between Los Angeles and Hawaii. It was a wonderful cruise with lots o enjoyable sea days and visits to five ports of call. The first day out the seas were a little rough, but not too bad, and each day after that it improved.

I highly recommend this cruise.

Keith

We did the 14 Day Royal Caribbean Radiance in April/May this year....we love sea days...left from San Diego (our favorite city!)....yep chilly first day out and last day back.....will do this again....Radiance class is our favorite class of ship so we are partial!

Questions: just ask!

Lou

We are planning to cruise to Hawaii. We ARE NOT intereted in NCL but we are considering either Royal Caribbean or Celebrity 12 day cruise. We are concerned about sailing on the Pacific for 4 days. Has anyone done this cruise? Which line would you recommend? We do not want to sail round trip from the West Coast. We are interested in your feedback.

Thanks,

June from NJ

We haven't been yet ,but we have chosen Carnival Spirit from Honolulu to Vancouver 12 day cruise in '09,after researching a great deal. 2 days in Oahu, 2 in Maui, 2 on the Big Island . 1 day in Kauai and 5 sea days to Vancouver. We considered Celebrity ,with a similar itenerary but decided at nearly $3,000.00 more, it would be a waste of money we can use for our next planned cruise (Alaska) . RCI has a 10 day cruise with fewer ports also ending up in Vancouver,which was also higher than Carnival. There is also a reverse trip in the fall each year going from Honolulu to Ensenada ,Mexico. I would suggest doing a search about arriving in Ensenada ,however,and make up your own mind about that as we did. I know there will be comments both ways on here about Ensenada,thus the suggestion to do your own research. We decided to stay clear of that situation and personally would rather get to see Vancouver anyway. We wanted to do a one way cruise in order to have extra time on both ends of the trip. Hope this helps with the process for you.

We haven't been yet ,but we have chosen Carnival Spirit from Honolulu to Vancouver 12 day cruise in '09,after researching a great deal. 2 days in Oahu, 2 in Maui, 2 on the Big Island . 1 day in Kauai and 5 sea days to Vancouver. We considered Celebrity ,with a similar itenerary but decided at nearly $3,000.00 more, it would be a waste of money we can use for our next planned cruise (Alaska) . RCI has a 10 day cruise with fewer ports also ending up in Vancouver,which was also higher than Carnival. There is also a reverse trip in the fall each year going from Honolulu to Ensenada ,Mexico. I would suggest doing a search about arriving in Ensenada ,however,and make up your own mind about that as we did. I know there will be comments both ways on here about Ensenada,thus the suggestion to do your own research. We decided to stay clear of that situation and personally would rather get to see Vancouver anyway. We wanted to do a one way cruise in order to have extra time on both ends of the trip. Hope this helps with the process for you.

We have never sailed Carnival because of its "party ship" reputation. I see that you have sailed them before. How are their ships, service, food, balcony cabins, etc?

Thanks for your reply.

We have never sailed Carnival because of its "party ship" reputation. I see that you have sailed them before. How are their ships, service, food, balcony cabins, etc?

Thanks for your reply.

We loved the Conquest ,which was a 7 day cruise ,just a wonderful experience in all categories. Although we enjoyed our 4 day on Ecstasy,it was a different feel than the Conquest.The ship was nice ,just smaller and a different group onboard as well. I have written reviews on both in the review section on these boards. I would think that with the Hawaii 12 day,it will probably be a slightly older group for the most part,due to the length and time of year with children in school. We are 49 & 48 ,but ours are grown. We can enjoy both ends of the spectrum :D .I have read really good reviews on the Spirit as well. We looked at ALL options and felt this one fit us best.We did not want a r/t from L.A., with more sea days than Island stops.We plan on flying in several days early to Oahu to relax and get on Hawaii pace.

We have had a roll call going for 8 months now.Come visit us ! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=532633

We did 10-night Celebrity Infinity (Honolulu, Lahaina w. overnight, Kauai, Kona, Hilo, 4 sea days to Ensenada).

After really working it in the ports for the first half of the cruise, having 5 nights and 4 days at sea was pure bliss and relaxing in the extreme. This was in mid-Oct. Each sea day was a little cooler and cloudier than the previous, but it was never cold. Infinity pitched gently but noticeably as we were heading into the swells. The roughest water of the whole trip was the night between Kauai and Kona. We were moving quite fast to cross the distance, and the seas were not calm.

I wish there were more of the 10-12 night options with a 1-way Pacific crossing. From what I can tell, the lines have cut back on these, leaving one to decide between the 7-night NCL experience (not for me!) and the 14-night dual crossing (would love to do, IF I had the time to spare).

Three years ago we sailed on the Island Princess 15 days RT from LA, with 5 stops in the islands. We liked it so much we are doing it again in Feb on the Diamond (people we met on the previous cruise are going again too)..first day out of LA the sea was a little high...not a major problem the rest of the cruise was great. Last day into LA was the same. Hubby felt a little queasy but the wrist accupressure bands and ginger Altoids worked well.

The sea days are so much fun...time to relax and meet great people

just my opinion.

Archived