Sign for 18yr old to drink alchlol?

wilson9112

drink or not to drink  

189 members have voted

1. 1. drink or not to drink

• No, I do not allow it
    • Yes, I allow it
    • Im not sure yet

In international water on the NCL we are taking, they allow parents to sign a form saying your 18 yr old plus can drink wine or beer. My son is 19 and wants me to sign it. Just wanted to see how many parent out there do it. I dont want to send the ok message to my son that he can drink, but I want him to have fun?

I dont want to send the ok message to my son that he can drink, but I want him to have fun?

Take a few seconds and think about what you just said. If he needs to drink at the age of 19 in order to have fun then he may be headed down the wrong path in life and may need outside help.

Take a few seconds and think about what you just said. If he needs to drink at the age of 19 in order to have fun then he may be headed down the wrong path in life and may need outside help.

Now that is a very valued point! Very good! See, I need that kind of info, good reading of me. I appreciate that very much!

I wouldn't let my 18 yr old drink at home where I can watch her, I sure wouldn't let her do it on the high seas:eek:

I would not sign for my son. You have a good point. If we do not allow thenm to drink at home why in the heck would we do it in the middle of the ocean or sea? :eek:

No , I wouldnt sign , BUT that doesnt mean you cant buy him a beer or 2 with you ( control it ) . Im assuming that he most likely has had a couple of beers before or you wouldnt be asking.If not and this is his "maiden voyage " then most definately dont cut him loose , Its the same story every time when they go over the side " one to many " and a swim seems like a good idea.. mpk

If your child is responsible, there should be no problem, we sign for our kids, when we were their age it was legal, just like most everywere else in the world. It is an insurance issue and a money maker in this country.

Wow it seem like alot of people seem to have forgotten that USA is one of the only country that you have to wait to drink till 21.

I know when I went on my Med Cruise we had atleast half of the people from Europe and heard alot of adults (they are adults not teens in even US) complain they couldnt drink a martini for example. And alot of them didnt know about the rule (that parents could sign to drink beer and wine) till it was to late becasue they were 20 years old going on a trip with there friends and did not even think they would have to get a note like they were still childeren. And no you dont have to drink to have fun, but hey having a glass of wine for dinner is very apporate thing to do.

Remember just because it is a rule in US does not mean it is irresponble for 18 to 20 years be able to drink because it is interantional waters. And besides my mom allowed me drink to around her and becasue of that I did not get drunk every night cause I learned how to drink without getting out of control. So I think she is a very responsible parent. Guess what all my friends whos parents didn't allow them to drink, the first thing they do the moment they go to college is to get trashed and alot of them ended up dropping out.

Sorry for the rant.

Wow it seem like alot of people seem to have forgotten that USA is one of the only country that you have to wait to drink till 21.

Guess what all my friends whos parents didn't allow them to drink, the first thing they do the moment they go to college is to get trashed and alot of them ended up dropping out.

quote]

Which is why the age was raised back to 21. When it was 18 sufficient young people were not responsible and created too many problems. Way back when dinasaurs roamed the earth and I was in college,the drinking and voting age was 21. Then in our infinite wisdom we lowered the voting age to 18. Thinking that if a person was old enough to vote they should be old enough to drink we lowered the drinking age to 18. Big mistake back up to 21 went the drinking age. Now if we can get the voting age back to 21 we will be on the way to returning the country to some level of sanity.

If i was going to sign that, I'd make sure my kid had agreed to pay his bar tab at the end of the trip. Should keep the drinking in check. If you have concerns with their level of responsibility overall, well, it would be pretty silly to sign it.

Here in OZ legal drinking age is 18. This is also the same in many other countries so in our case I couldn't stop my son from drinking even if I wanted too. Saying that - he is a very moderate drinker and in the last 4 years (he is now 22) he has only drunk too much about 2 or 3 times unlike many of his friends who drink for the sake of drinking. :) Mummsie

My last reply never posted, ugh!:( I'll try again. I turned 18 in 1973 when that was the legal drinking age. I still remember carrying that dime in my bra to call home, in case my date wasn't able to drive me home safely. I had to use it, sad to say. Also, recent medical studies have said that the brain isn't fully "developed/matured?" at this point in a young person's life. I'm not medically qualified to say that's true, but I'd hate to risk it with a kid of my own.

The best response I saw was, if you feel he is mature enough, share a beer with your son. A bonding time. You don't have to sign for him and risk him going overboard "not literally" with other young people he may meet on board. I hope you and yours have a great cruise!:)

At times, the "trials and tribulations" of a parent are unbearable!

I did learn to follow my "instincts" when my kids were growing up....a mother's instincts are not usually wrong.

From a recent experience on a cruise where there were many teens.....if you do sign the letter...make it CLEAR to him that he does NOT buy drinks for other underage kids. We saw that going on!

Also, you can check your bill every day (if need be) at the reception desk. They will print it out for you. You will see the bar bill and can always rescind that letter.

You didn't mention if he has friends that will also be traveling with you. Who will he be drinking with?

I'd be sure to be awake the first few nights when he returns to your cabin;)

I would sign for it. Although legal drinking age here is 19, so maybe that's why I don't see it as a huge deal.

Just monitor it. Only let him when you are around (Have a drink with dinner, etc). You'll know if he buys drinks when you're not around, because it will show on your bill, which you can check on anytime you want.

So he can sign up for the army, go to Iraq or Afghanistan and die for his country, he can get married and have children and he can drive a car but you wont let him have a beer or glass of wine??

So he can sign up for the army, go to Iraq or Afghanistan and die for his country, he can get married and have children and he can drive a car but you wont let him have a beer or glass of wine??

Many good points. Just my son is 19 and our friends are bringing their 18yr old son. He said he just wants to be able to order one as he cannot do that in the states. He wants to feel like a man:D I said I would think about it. I dont know if my friend is going to let her son drink or ot yet.

I did not say that. I was questioning the OP's comment that they did not want to spoil his fun andsaid that if he needed to have a drink in order to have fun things might not be that great with the lad. You need to readthe full content of the postings.

If I remember correctly those who went off for WW II could not drink nor vote but they did not feel abused or deprived. My how we have sliped in our value systems.

I find it interesting that people are talking about "letting" their children drink. Do you really think your teenager has never drank before :rolleyes:

Regardless, it has always been my opinion that parent who attempts at all lengths to shelter and shield their children from life by not letting them experience things or talking to them about the realities of life increases the chance of having a child that is simply not well adjusted when they leave the nest. The example given above about the kid going off to college and letting loose is, unfortunately, what happens with many kids, especially females, based on what I observed when in college and visiting friends at their campuses for parties. The ones that I have known personally reported coming from very strict homes.

Like I said above, if you think your kid is reponsible enough to have a few drinks and kick back, what is the big deal. If you tell the kid he is paying the tab, I doubt there is going to be any binge drinking at $7-10 a drink. If the cops have brought your kid home to your door in a drunken stuper, perhaps you should consider not signing the form and instead talk to your kid about boundries ;)

I hate to say it like this, and believe me I'm not trying to start trouble or a war, but open your eyes. Your son has almost certainly drank in excess by now. If he is 19 (and presumably in college?) he has gotten drunk with friends in his dorm room. Being a young person myself (of legal drinking age), if i were your child I would hope that you would trust me enough to enjoy some adult beverages while on vacation.

As others have already said, the US is one of the only countries that makes drinking this "forbidden" thing until the age of 21. As long as you raise them right, kids are much more responsible than older people might think. So I say sign the form, make sure he doesn't get too wasted, and let him enjoy himself. Believe me, by doing it you will make him feel like an adult (which he is) and hopefully he will not abuse that. Have a great time on your cruise!:)

Oh thank goodness I never had to deal with this. Yes! I do think my son has never had a drink and he's 25yo. There are many young people these days that choose not to drink or do drugs. My son went to college and still didn't have a drink! It does happen. He's a deviant. LOL Ever hear of the "straight edge" movement?

Why am I not surprised to see the poll split approximately 50-50 for and against?

Ask for people's opinions, you will get them. Who cares what others think? I assume you are paying for the cruise, therefore it's your cruise to do as you like.

My suggestion is to do what you believe is right.

Archived