Getting on and off ship at ports of call

This may be the stupidest question but if we want to get off the ship for ports of call and then want to save money by getting back in the ship to eat lunch and then get back off again for more time in port--Is this difficult? We did schedule one excursion on our own in one port and have a ship scheduled excursion in another.

Just want to plan ahead to see if we need to budget extra money for food or if getting on and off ship is fairly easy and quick.

Also, if we want to be off of ship early for all ports--(only one is tender in) how plausible is this?

If you are docked it is very easy to get on and off. We do this all the time. If you are tendered then you have to allow a lot of extra time.

What we do is have a GOOD breakfast, skip lunch and then grab a really late lunch around 4pm when we get back on the ship. We have late dinner. You can also bring sealed food with you. I always bring snack packs from home or I grab one of the little boxes of cereal from the buffet to snack on.

If we stay right in the port city, we always go back on board to eat lunch. It's usually quiet.

Besides, some places we've been to, I would hesitate eating in any of the local cafe's.

The only time we don't is when we are on an excursion that takes us away from the dock.

This may be the stupidest question but if we want to get off the ship for ports of call and then want to save money by getting back in the ship to eat lunch and then get back off again for more time in port--Is this difficult? We did schedule one excursion on our own in one port and have a ship scheduled excursion in another.

Just want to plan ahead to see if we need to budget extra money for food or if getting on and off ship is fairly easy and quick.

Also, if we want to be off of ship early for all ports--(only one is tender in) how plausible is this?

We did this on our last cruise. We only had 3 ports: Labadee (ate at the bbq on the island- included in the price); Aruba (did a morning island tour, got dropped at the port, had lunch at the WJ, then looked around town, took a sunset cruise and made it back to the ship for dinner); and Curacao (went to the aquarium in the morning, took a cab back to the ship and had lunch in the WJ, then walked around town before coming back to the ship).

It wasn't really possible on our first cruise- it was in the Eastern Caribbean and our time in port tending to be brief. Like Sue, we had a big breakfast, and then went to the PR cafe when we got back to the ship for a late lunch (though we often got a small snack in port- always important to try the local fare ;) ).

We have long stops on our Alaska cruise next year, so we are hoping to plan short shore excursions and come back for lunch as much as we can. Like you, we need to keep our extra costs down, and this tended to work well.

Cheers,

I know that this will start a lot of flaming, but if we are going to a beach for the day, we take a sandwich that we have made from the breakfast bar, and a couple of rolls for our lunch. I have checked, and it is okay to do this.

I know that this will start a lot of flaming, but if we are going to a beach for the day, we take a sandwich that we have made from the breakfast bar, and a couple of rolls for our lunch. I have checked, and it is okay to do this.

Well you're right about one thing - there will be lots of flaming! :D

There are generally laws against this, especially in Hawaii and most Caribbean ports. Who told you this was okay?

But on a more basic level, what do you put the sandwiches in to carry them around? Don't you worry about them not being refrigerated?

You may not be saving a lot of money if you have to take a cab to get back to the ship for lunch, then another cab to get back to town to continue your activities.

And I agree with Patrick - taking food off the ship that is not prepackaged/sealed is NOT permitted in many ports. There are signs right at the exit from the ship. And in one port in Mexico, our bags were searched as we got off the tender - the ship had told us this would happen, and that fines would be levied if we were carrying food.

to add to Sheffie

• Bring zip lock bags from home.
  • Order room service before you leave (pizza, sandwiches etc.) free minus tip.

Or, stop by the Royal Promenade (if your ship has one) pick up some sandwiches in their deli. You can have a great picnic on shore for free. You have already paid for food, so why that a chance on getting sick or spending money on shore if you don’t have to.

Of course if I was loaded it would be a different story.

Leo

Of course if I was loaded it would be a different story.

IMO, you don't need to be loaded to buy lunch in a few ports. If you do, then I'm not sure how you afford to cruise at all.

not sure but i think the point the woman was asking is a way to save a little dough in ports with a several kids, i was just trying to answer her questions or help in some way. :confused:

I agree you were just trying to help and I apologize if my post was harsh. I can totally understand that saving money is important. I just think there's a line between some ways that are effective and appropriate, and some that are not.

We always eat lunch on the ship. It's one of our biggest budget savers. If we are on a long morning excursion, we eat a big breakfast and then eat a late lunch or snack when we return.

Please be VERY wary of the recommendations to bring food such as sandwiches and pizza or fruit off the ship. It is against the agricultural laws in many ports to carry off food that is not prepackaged and sealed. Boxes of cereal or granola bars are fine, but it's not worth the risk of bringing non-sealed foods into the ports.

Ok, this may be a dump question. But why can you not take foods from the ship to the island. Is it just a RCCL rule because they don't want food carried off the ship?? In which case a light snack or something in my bag I would not worry about.

Or is it something to do with the island and customs?? Along the same lines as not bringing certain foods back into the USA when traveling

Most of our Caribbean cruises have been in the summer, due to our daughters' school schedule. So, it's incredibly hot in every port. We get up and out early (even with teenagers - all they have to do is put on a bathing suit) and head for the beach. It's not crowded and not super hot yet. About noon, when the beach is getting filled up and the sun is glaring down on us, we go back to the ship. We shower and dress then enjoy lunch in the air-conditioned buffet. After that, we leave the ship again for a little shopping and/or sightseeing. The only time there's a hassle getting back onboard is at the very end of the day when everyone's trying to re-board at once. But, you just wait your turn and remember that you're on vacation.

There are some ports where we choose to have lunch ashore but if my choices are a hot dog from a beach vendor or the ship's buffet - I'll go for the buffet.

Ok, this may be a dump question. But why can you not take foods from the ship to the island. Is it just a RCCL rule because they don't want food carried off the ship?? In which case a light snack or something in my bag I would not worry about.

Or is it something to do with the island and customs?? Along the same lines as not bringing certain foods back into the USA when traveling

This is an international law that you cannot carry agricultural products between countries (fruits, meats, flowers, etc.). You might introduce an agent that could upset the balance in the environment and devastate the agriculture and crops there - remember the Mediterranean Fruit Fly disaster? It's a very serious issue that could destroy these already poor coutries.

When I returned via plane from England, my luggage and handbags were sniffed by agricultural dogs who were looked for any food or plant items that were being brought into the country. Also, on every customs form, it asks if you are carrying these items, or if you've spend time on a farm, etc.

We took our first cruise last year and food was a concern as DW is diabetic (Type 2) and I've always been one of those people who prefer to eat several smaller meals thorughout the day, so we absolutely need to munch every few hours.

So we packed an unopened, sealed container of meal replacement powder in our luggage. No problems at the airport or customs. And then we simply scoop out the proper amount into a plastic drinking container and pack a couple bottles of water for mixing and badda-boom we gotta healthy snack that kept us going.

Our preference is Isagenix but there are many brands out there. Some stores will let you sample different products. GNC would be a safe bet.

Oh, if somebody in a legal capacity happens to question the "food" you're carrying simply mention diabetes and they'll leave you alone. We do this at waterparks, major sporting events etc where they want try to make you a food hostage for their greasy stuff.

Happy (and nutritious!) Cruising,

Alan

Well you're right about one thing - there will be lots of flaming! :D

There are generally laws against this, especially in Hawaii and most Caribbean ports. Who told you this was okay?

But on a more basic level, what do you put the sandwiches in to carry them around? Don't you worry about them not being refrigerated?

Last year on our Southern Caribbean cruise I paid good attention at the gangway, and there were no signs telling us we could not take any food off the ship, nor was there anything mentioned in the daily ship's paper. If there had been, we would NOT have taken it off with us.

On the basic level - we took toast with cheese on it for lunch. We also took a couple of pastries. We put these in baggies.

We typically stay in the ports of call to eat, but i know that sometimes if we have had enough fun at that particular port, we will just go back onto the ship- really easy to do if it is docked. On the other hand, if the ship is tendered, it is more difficult to get back on the ship right when you want. I suggest that if you don't have an excursion planned then get back to the place where you got off the tendering boat early. If you wait till the last hour or so before the ship is scheduled to leave the port, you will wait in line for the tendering boat for a very LONG time! If you decide to take food- take something that wouldn't spoil- i like the idea of the little boxes of cereal or the snack packs! Enjoy your cruise:D

Last year on our Southern Caribbean cruise I paid good attention at the gangway, and there were no signs telling us we could not take any food off the ship, nor was there anything mentioned in the daily ship's paper. If there had been, we would NOT have taken it off with us.

On the basic level - we took toast with cheese on it for lunch. We also took a couple of pastries. We put these in baggies.

Did you read the compass :rolleyes:

###

If you take any fresh food off the ship, you take a big chance that the food will spoil. Think of the time you will have wasted if you end up sick from the food. Unless a box of dry cereal or something else pre-packaged will hold you, plan to either buy lunch at a local restaurant or go back to the ship for the buffet. It's not worth risking your health or your vacation.

You may want to take a box of cereal and a bottle of water and supplement it with ice cream or another small treat until you get back to the ship.

In any event, have a wonderful trip.

Archived