last minute discounts

meow!

Just curious, and I believe many people would be interested, does Oceania offer "last minute discounts", the type offered within one month of sailing date, when space is still available or becomes available due to drop outs? I have the impression that Oceania voyage prices only go up as the sailing date gets closer, are there exceptions?

For Silversea, as an example, there are often (though not always) such "last minute discounts" available only to Venetian Society members (those who have cruised with them before), and you have to actively ask for them to get them on voyages you are interested in. The percentage can be 55% off, sometimes up to 60+% off. And if you pay with an American Express "true" platinum card, you get in addition $300 per cabin shipboard credit plus a bottle of Dom Perignon on top of the discount. So especially for Caribbean itineraries, for which the "brochure price" of Silversea is roughly the same as Oceania, there are occasions that the effective bottom line for a "vista" (287 sq.ft. with a window) cabin on Silversea can cost roughly the same as a category D (165 sq.ft. with a pothole) on Oceania.

So if you are flexible with your time (purchase within one month of sailing) and not too choosy with your destination (usually the cheaper destinations), you can have fantastic deals. Yes, Oceania fares include airfare, but Silversea includes tips and all drinks, these can cancel each other for close by destinations. Being fair, I am asking whether Oceania also offers such last minute deals for those people who are interested, and if so, how deep can the discounts be and how do people get to find them (e.g. call Oceania's office regularly)?

Just curious, and I believe many people would be interested, does Oceania offer "last minute discounts", the type offered within one month of sailing date, when space is still available or becomes available due to drop outs? I have the impression that Oceania voyage prices only go up as the sailing date gets closer, are there exceptions?

For Silversea, as an example, there are often (though not always) such "last minute discounts" available only to Venetian Society members (those who have cruised with them before), and you have to actively ask for them to get them on voyages you are interested in. The percentage can be 55% off, sometimes up to 60+% off. And if you pay with an American Express "true" platinum card, you get in addition $300 per cabin shipboard credit plus a bottle of Dom Perignon on top of the discount. So especially for Caribbean itineraries, for which the "brochure price" of Silversea is roughly the same as Oceania, there are occasions that the effective bottom line for a "vista" (287 sq.ft. with a window) cabin on Silversea can cost roughly the same as a category D (165 sq.ft. with a pothole) on Oceania.

So if you are flexible with your time (purchase within one month of sailing) and not too choosy with your destination (usually the cheaper destinations), you can have fantastic deals. Yes, Oceania fares include airfare, but Silversea includes tips and all drinks, these can cancel each other for close by destinations. Being fair, I am asking whether Oceania also offers such last minute deals for those people who are interested, and if so, how deep can the discounts be and how do people get to find them (e.g. call Oceania's office regularly)?

Oceania NEVER offers any last minute discounts because their ships are always full!!

Jan

I had the same question about 1 week ago and looked at several websites. And almost all cruises at various times of year showed availablity at their normal rates or lower. So I think the answer is it depends.

On the Transatlantics, the price was definitely going down, except one was sold out for inside cabins.

I guess I formed the opinion that you could book some of the cruises if you are not picky on the cabin about 1 month in advance but then you have to get airfare reasonable. Last minute air is usually what keeps me from booking last minute cruises.

Happy hunting.

I had the same question about 1 week ago and looked at several websites. And almost all cruises at various times of year showed availablity at their normal rates or lower. So I think the answer is it depends.

On the Transatlantics, the price was definitely going down, except one was sold out for inside cabins.

I guess I formed the opinion that you could book some of the cruises if you are not picky on the cabin about 1 month in advance but then you have to get airfare reasonable. Last minute air is usually what keeps me from booking last minute cruises.

Happy hunting.

Sorry Happy cruzer,

Oceania has had a strict policy from day one that they opened never to lower their prices..so if you are seeing lower prices there is definitely something wrong and I know if you try to get them you wont be able to..TA are ALWAYS a lower orice and if there is a group you can get more amenities..

So I suggest for discounts you try another line..I know Azamara has big discounts on South America!!

Jan

The whole matter of "discounts" must start with the basic question of "discount from what?" Some lines seem to be better than others at forecasting supply and demand and setting the proper going rate. Others sometimes overshoot the mark and have to re-set fares as discounts. Some new lines, such as Azamara, have little historical data to go by and try different rate combinations until they reach the right formula for their situation. I seem to remember Oceania having some very low rates early on but I don't know if those were the initial published rates or subsequent deep discounts. In any event, things have changed for Oceania in that regard, until and unless they find themselves with overcapacity or in a more competitive environment.

you are correct, during the start-up Oceania had very low fares (smart of FDR) but now with the demand they dont have to have those same low fares..of course this is a great time for the cruise business..I have no idea what FDR will do if business gets hit because of the economy..but knowing him, it will be something clever and not just discounting the product!!

Jan

Seems to me the reverse is true with O. As the date gets closer the 2 for 1 becomes 60% off and the free air tends to disappear. In 2005 We met a fellow and his partner who booked at the last minute and paid the full brochure price. If I wanted a certain itinerary on O, I wouldn't dawdle. I actually booked this year's and next year's sailings on the days the itinerary were first received by my TA.

In 2005 We met a fellow and his partner who booked at the last minute and paid the full brochure price.
In that kind of a case, you should advise them to try Seabourne, RSSC or Silversea instead. There is a good chance that they can get a much better cabin (better than Oceania's PH), and have money to spare!

Meow, in rereading my above post..I certainly didnt mean it to sound rude, I was trying to get the point across that people are different! (so please dont take offense) I enjoy your posts..and I did tell Claudia you miss her she said she will post..

as a bride she is pretty busy..LOL

Jan

Perhaps you saw different ads than I, but I don't recall seeing any advertising 60% off without the free air. 60% off is better than two for one!

I have seen many with 40% off, no free air, but that is a big difference.

Meow, in rereading my above post..I certainly didnt mean it to sound rude, I was trying to get the point across that people are different! (so please dont take offense) I enjoy your posts..and I did tell Claudia you miss her she said she will post..

as a bride she is pretty busy..LOL

Jan

Thank you, and you are right, I have heard people who are willing to pay more for not having formal nights. They wouldn't have to buy formal dress (which costs) and wouldn't have to haul extra luggage. Oceania is good value especially for the expensive itineraries sucn as in Europe, that is why I booked the Nautica Greek Islands for next Autumn.

Thank you for forwarding our best wishes to ClaudiaF, wish her all the happiness!

Archived