Potential Sea Sickness

wildcat1130

We are planning an Alaskan cruise for July and one of us is prone to sea sea sickness. I was wondering if anyone knew if it might be worse from Vancouver vs. Seattle or if its about the same, or if anyone has any experience with cruising in Alaska during the summer, I would appreciate knowing how rocky the boats might get.

Thanks.

We have done two cruises to Alaska - Seattle/Seattle and Whittier/Vancouver. Both trips were in late May and we did encounter some rocky moments. I think the Seattle/Seattle was a little rockier. As a precautionary measure we always take Bonine for ALL our cruises.

Three Alaskan cruises, one SB (Whittier, Vancouver), one NB (Vancouver, Whittier) one RT (Vancouver), and I had moments of sickness on all three. The good news, the whole cruise isn't rocky... I was only affected for a few hours on each cruise. The sea-bands (wrist accupressure) seem to help me as much as anything, strange though that may be.

The chances of rough seas are greater when leaving from Seattle, because you are sailing in open ocean on the west side of Vancouver Island. But you can have rough seas when leaving from Vancouver, too. We sailed from Vancouver to Whittier, and I expected it to be rough as we crossed the Gulf of Alaska our last full day. It wasn't - but I still took my Meclizine (the main ingredient in Bonine) daily as a precaution.

On the first 24hrs after leaving Seattle, it IS open sea. My friends who went with us on the first trip had such a bad day the medical staff almost suspect her having a stomach flu. But luckily, it is just motion sickness. If you are prone to motion sickness, try to take medicine early before it strikes. Also, book cabin in the lower mid-ship location, which is relatively stable than anywhere else.

When we left on our previous Alaska cruise out of Seattle, we found the first day to be very rocky. We started taking the Meclazine the day prior to leaving port and did not have any problems. We did not need anything in the days after that...so I just stopped taking them after two or three days.

I am very prone to motion sickness. I hope this helps. They also say that ginger is a good suppliment to keep away the motion sickness.

Nancy

P.S. I was given a nice hint here prior to that cruise...the meclazine does tend to make some a little drowsy...it makes for a wonderful sleep if you take it at night prior to bedtime.:p

Archived