Tell me about the Hairdryer ladies ( sorry Guys I know this is dull to you)

loadsofpanache

Hi one and all,

To all you veteran Qm2 cruiser ladies what is the hairdryer like?

I take ages to get ready and I do not wish to agitate my nearist and dearist my taking even longer to get ready because the onboard hairdryer is not powerful enough.

Anybody have good or bad feelings about the hairdryer, if I don't have to pack a hairdryer thats good but keeping my husband waiting when he's ready and Hungry is Very bad.

Many thanks from a very high maintance lady.

Is it one of those mini types attached to the wall, or a separate dryer?

The hair dryers are just standard hand held units. They are usually in one of the top drawers of the dressing table, and have a curly electrical lead that disappears through the back of the drawer. This is presumably to prevent guests un-plugging the unit and using it in a different location.

The dryer is a 1200 watt 220/240 volt unit, and has a spring-loaded switch in the handle that you have to keep pressed to keep it working.

Most units also have a label attached stating "For Use on Ship's Voltage Only", which is NOT true, but presumably there to prevent 'souvenir hunters'.

Hope that this helps.

Regards,

David

Thanks for the very specific info re: wattage and the annoying button to keep it on, that was very helpful. Guess I am bringing my professional ionic hairdryer-- not that I am so vain abut my hair, but I agree with the former poster, I hate to keep the boyfriend waiting. Plus, I am only hailing a cab to the terminal, so luggage is not an issue, for once.

I don't know much about hair dryers other than they are great for drying the mutt after he has a bath.:) The real question I have is can I get a hot lather shave on board ship?

Paul

ps: If you don't want to keep your man waiting, why don't you start getting ready earlier?:p

The real question I have is can I get a hot lather shave on board ship?

Paul ...

Of course you can, as long as you remember to pack your shaving brush, bowl, and razor. I never forget mine, and my shipboard shaves are just as hot and as lathery as the ones I enjoy every day ashore at home. BTW, as far as I'm concerned, the most important function of a hairdryer is to dry my shaving brush before I pack it away on the last morning aboard.

Paul

Kirsten always takes hers. She says those (admittedly on Queen Elizabeth 2) are puny and inadequate.

Matthew

I have curly hair, so all a dryer does for me is make it fuzzy and big. So I get a kick out of these comments even though I have no idea why it matters so much. Well, I get the speed part.

Nor me, but again the speed bit helps. I never use them - it has dried naturally by the time Kirsten is ready......

Matthew

You know, when I read the OP's message title, with the "Sorry Guys", I thought she meant that all the men were bald as a cue ball!

I have to say, I did not mean to imply all the guys are bald (... I'm laughing here :) ), let me explain my husband has short curly hair which dries in the time it takes me to put my mascara on. He has no need for a hairdryer.

It my seem unimportant in the scheme of things but I/we have dreamed, planned, looked forward to this cruise for 9 months, I have shopped for the right gowns/ outfits just so I can feel great on this dream vacation I take pride in how I look, and greatly look forward to the dressing up part of the cruise. The thought that I could end up looking like Richard Simmons does not make me smile lol.

Thank you for the imput on the wattage on the hairdryer that helps with my decision.

In answer to the post " why don't I start to get ready earlier" I probably take an hour to 1 1/2 hours to get ready for a night out. This I know pushes the limits of my husbands patience ( in his opinion if I started getting ready at breakfast I would still be late .... He's probably right too.... lol).

Thank you all for the input you make me think, you make me smile, you make me laugh.

I will miss the message board when our cruise is over:(

Happy cruising to you all.

Hi one and all,

To all you veteran Qm2 cruiser ladies what is the hairdryer like?

I take ages to get ready and I do not wish to agitate my nearist and dearist my taking even longer to get ready because the onboard hairdryer is not powerful enough.

Anybody have good or bad feelings about the hairdryer, if I don't have to pack a hairdryer thats good but keeping my husband waiting when he's ready and Hungry is Very bad.

Many thanks from a very high maintance lady.

I can't use any hairdryer except for my own. I bring it with me. There is no electrical outlet in the bathroom that will support a hairdryer. It can only be used for an electric razor.

I also bring a flat iron as well. High maintenance; highly curly and frizz-prone, eh hem, blond hair. I actually plan to use the salon a couple of times on our Nov 30 10-day cruise!

--Judy

It my seem unimportant in the scheme of things but I/we have dreamed, planned, looked forward to this cruise for 9 months, I have shopped for the right gowns/ outfits just so I can feel great on this dream vacation I take pride in how I look, and greatly look forward to the dressing up part of the cruise. The thought that I could end up looking like Richard Simmons does not make me smile lol.

It's only unimportant if it is unimportant to you. You're obviously (and rightly) really looking forward to the Queen Mary 2.

Take a hairdryer. You have two options.

1) You think we're wrong, and the supplied one is fine so you have wasted a bit of suitcase space.

2) You think we're right, and thank God you listened to us.

If you leave it behind, you have two options.

1) You think we're wrong, and have saved a bit of suitcase space.

2) You think we're right, and it spoils your dressing up. You curse not listening to us.

Shades of Pascal, but there you are.

Matthew

I have to say, I did not mean to imply all the guys are bald (... I'm laughing here :) ), let me explain my husband has short curly hair which dries in the time it takes me to put my mascara on. He has no need for a hairdryer.

Thank you for the imput on the wattage on the hairdryer that helps with my decision.

In answer to the post " why don't I start to get ready earlier" I probably take an hour to 1 1/2 hours to get ready for a night out. This I know pushes the limits of my husbands patience ( in his opinion if I started getting ready at breakfast I would still be late .... He's probably right too.... lol).

Thank you all for the input you make me think, you make me smile, you make me laugh.

I will miss the message board when our cruise is over:(

Happy cruising to you all.

OMG, I know I'm jumping in again, but I've got to answer this one. Firstly, I'm soooo excited for you.

We've only been with cunard once, but have 2 more booked trips (sorry, voyages.) YIPEE!

As a hairdressr, take your own. The hairdryer is ok, but with no nozzle & if I find it difficult, most people will. You don't need the hassle.

On the point of 'his' moaning (mine is completely bald, but gorgeous), just get him a drink & tell him to relax & enjoy the build up to the wonderful evening ahead. Or tell him to shut up & watch the old ships on the telly! It works for me:D Don't miss this, just book another one!

Sharon

Archived