Horse racing

SPARKY12

Why doesn't Carnival have the wooden horse racing anymore? They had it on Princess a couple of years ago. We bought a horse for the race at auction and would have won the pot if my horse won. It was a fun way to spend a couple of hours.

Plus it made money for the cruise line.

Carnival used to have it.

Why doesn't Carnival have the wooden horse racing anymore? They had it on Princess a couple of years ago. We bought a horse for the race at auction and would have won the pot if my horse won. It was a fun way to spend a couple of hours.

Plus it made money for the cruise line.

Carnival used to have it.

Yes, Carnival did use to do that.

I have not seen it this year and I don't remember seeing it last year. Perhaps it was to much trouble for the monetary rewards???

The last time I remember it was when my mother and I sailed on the Victory in 2001. She and I bought one of the horses and had to "dress" our horse up and take it back on the last sea day for the "big race" we had to take it around the ship with us and it was lots of fun. We also didn't win the pot, but had so much fun showing off our horse!

I will let you know if they have it on the Celebration since we cruise in 4 weeks!

We were on Inspiration last week and they had the six wooden horses racing on the stage in the main lounge (Rolling the dice determined how the horses moved across the board).

The audience was sparse and the crowd was very slow to place bets. In fact, there were only about 10 to 12 people betting on each of the 3 races!

Ahh, we love the horse race. We purchased a horse on our Inspiration cruise in 05 and our Legend cruise in 06. We won nothing for our "Flying Eagle" but for our "Very Intoxicated Pony" we did win the owners purse (30%). I hope the Miracle has the horse race.

Just as with Funship Freddie and the Colors Game, I have never seen nor heard of a horse race when cruising. I have no idea what y'all are talking about.

I wonder if it's because I don't situate myself right by the pool and usually find some quiet corner to sit and read?

I'm guessing that IF there is a horse race on my upcoming Miracle cruise, I'll probably totally miss that, too. And I think I'm ok with that (although I'm not at all averse to winning money!).

Ahh, we love the horse race. We purchased a horse on our Inspiration cruise in 05 and our Legend cruise in 06. We won nothing for our "Flying Eagle" but for our "Very Intoxicated Pony" we did win the owners purse (30%). I hope the Miracle has the horse race.

Miracle had the horse race on the 10/30 cruise.

Just as with Funship Freddie and the Colors Game, I have never seen nor heard of a horse race when cruising. I have no idea what y'all are talking about.

I wonder if it's because I don't situate myself right by the pool and usually find some quiet corner to sit and read?

I'm guessing that IF there is a horse race on my upcoming Miracle cruise, I'll probably totally miss that, too. And I think I'm ok with that (although I'm not at all averse to winning money!).

I don't think it is pool. The sun and I don't agree so I stay away from the pool area. I do check out the Capers every night to find out what I want to do the next day. I love reading but that's something I can do at home. On my cruises I like a lot of interaction with my fellow passengers. I think that is why cruising is such an addiction. It is something different for every individual.

They had the horse racing on the Freedom Transatlantic crossing. There was a warm-up race to get the passengers involved and then they auctioned off the 6 horses. The owners named and decorated them and then there were 3 "cup" races during the sea days. I think the winner took home a few hundred dollars. It was fun to watch and lots of people were there to cheer on their favourite horse. This was not an originally planned activity for the crossing, but Todd Wittmer (the CD) added it as an activity on about day 3 or 4...I think he was looking for ways to liven up the cruise and add more fun activities.

Good to know they are still having the races on some ships. It's always held in one of the indoor lounges during the day. We paid $40 for our horse, split the cost with our friends. All of the owners got a free bottle of champagne. My husband gave a 10 minute speech about the history of our horse which was hysterical. The horse's name was hoof hearted, sounds like who farted.

Archived