HELP! Where to stay and taxi costs..coming into JFK, cruising from manhatten

Kathleen000

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for the advice!

Here is my situation...I have flight tickets that get me and my husband into JFK at 1:00 pm the day before our cruise. I do not have a hotel booked so I need to know where I should stay. I want to go into Manhatten and do some sightseeing and a show. Does it make more sense to stay in Manhatten or by JFK or by the port? any hotels for the budget minded traveller you can suggest? I am trying to keep transportation costs in mind as well. Should we take taxi's or shuttles or any other ideas? We will have luggage that we need to get rid of before we can sight see. I hope I have given enough info for you to help!

Thanks so much

Kathleen

Hi everyone, thanks in advance for the advice!

Here is my situation...I have flight tickets that get me and my husband into JFK at 1:00 pm the day before our cruise. I do not have a hotel booked so I need to know where I should stay. I want to go into Manhatten and do some sightseeing and a show. Does it make more sense to stay in Manhatten or by JFK or by the port? any hotels for the budget minded traveller you can suggest? I am trying to keep transportation costs in mind as well. Should we take taxi's or shuttles or any other ideas? We will have luggage that we need to get rid of before we can sight see. I hope I have given enough info for you to help!

Thanks so much

Kathleen

Do not stay in a hotel by JFK. It is not a great neighborhood and there is nothing to do around there.

If you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel in NYC, try Hotel 373. The rooms are a little small but they are reasonable for Manhattan. It is located right by the Empire State Building. A friend stayed there recently and she loved it. Do a search as they do have a website.

From there, it's a quick cab ride to the port.

I'm doing a trip to NY in January & got rooms for $100 per night at Holiday Inn Express Chelsea. On their website, the rooms go for $235/night, so it's a good deal, I think. If anyone has stayed there, let me know. I've used priceline 2 other times, got rooms for $100/night, & they were good rooms each time.

On the subject of NY, where are some of the hot clubs to go to? I've read about Home, Guest House, Marquee, & Bungalow 8, but they sound like they might be hard to get into. We're all in our early 40's & "dress up nice," but we're not the gorgeous 20 somethings that it sounds like these clubs cater to.

If you are cruising out of Manhattan, stay in Manhattan. Any cost savings will be eaten up by travel time and cost to and from JFK.

Check out The Pod Hotel.

What time of year are you traveling?

We are coming March 7th. I am sure the strike will be resolved by then! We are cruising with NCL. How much would a taxi from Manhatten cost to the NCL pier? (Say a taxi around central park area?)

Thanks!

We are coming March 7th. I am sure the strike will be resolved by then! We are cruising with NCL. How much would a taxi from Manhatten cost to the NCL pier? (Say a taxi around central park area?)

Thanks!

Central Park where? Central Park is huge. If you are talking about the 59th Street and 5th Ave area (near the old Plaza Hotel and FAO Schwartz), it should only be about $7.00 including tip.

I'm doing a trip to NY in January & got rooms for $100 per night at Holiday Inn Express Chelsea. If anyone has stayed there, let me know.

Haven't stayed there, but here's some tripadvisor reviews and pics:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d630950-Reviews-Holiday_Inn_Express_NYC_Madison_Square_Garden-New_York_City_New_York.html

We are coming March 7th. I am sure the strike will be resolved by then!

Good news: The Broadway stagehands' strike has been settled (tentatively) as of today.

We are cruising with NCL. How much would a taxi from Manhatten cost to the NCL pier? (Say a taxi around central park area?)

Thanks!

NCL ships sail from the Passenger Ship Terminal on the West Side of Manhattan--about a 15-minute cab ride from the Times Square area, depending on the traffic. The route is pretty straightforward--basically you will be going straight across town (from midtown to the Hudson River), from east to west.

I will need to take a taxi from Times Square to the QM2 Port which is now at Brooklyn. I did a day tour when I was on the QM2 in July and we went through a tunnel on the way into the city. It took for ever! Coming back we did the journey in about 25 minutes but didn't go into the tunnel. I don't want to go on the ship too early as I want to use part of that day also to see a bit more of NY. That said I don't want to be panicking if I am held up so need to be sure that I leave in good time to be aboard.

Thanks for all the help and advice on this forum.

Sue

Archived