The Ole' Carry On Soda Question, et. al...

pgh

I haven't been on HAL in three years and would like to know if they still serve club soda (vs. seltzer).

If club soda is the case, does anyone know how the Port of NY is handling carry-on soda? Last January I secured the 12 pack put a luggage tag on it and it was sent directly to my stateroom. Come May, I was told carry-on beverages were not handled that way anymore and I had to carry it.

Has anyone had a recent experience with this on HAL out of NY? (Jan and May trips were not HAL).

Thanks!

Pam

Is it a problem for you to carry it yourself? Why worry about it....just plan to handle whatever it is you bring on your own. Would that work okay? Check your luggage and you'll have empty hands. :)

Good question as we had our club soda and water in a collapsible cooler with a tag, but attached luggage tags to the cases of Dt. Dew and Dt. Coke (there were 5 of us on a 10 day cruise - we're not weird). I would like to know if we need to do things differently now out of FLL. This was a year ago.

Oh, of course I would carry it. I only keep my carry-on with me...but...I also have mom with me, who believes a carry-one is a small roll bag, a carry bag, and another bag for her straw hat, plus her "pocketbook".

I can carry it, but honestly if I don't have to I would prefer not to. When I have checked the 12 pack it just works quite nicely and gives mom bags some extra room in my hands.:)

The bars have "club soda". It's the plain soda water from the coke machine without the soda mix. The key is to ask the bartender to run the soda for 15 seconds before putting it in your drink or it will be flat! Most do not have a problem with this and do understand your preference for a "sparkling" as opposed to a flat drink!

So no club soda in cans? This is actually very good to know. Thanks for starting this thread!

The last time I sailed HAL there was club soda in a can, but no seltzer to be found on-board - still not sure if that is so though - can't imagine why it wouldn't be.

I just normally prefer seltzer, and normally the switch would not be an issue, however I prefer not to add salt to my body while at sea because I just bloat a bit when I cruise:). (Maybe it is really the Lido deck!!!)

Club soda has "added minerals" (salt), while seltzer does not. I also prefer Poland Spring vs. Evian for the same reason, but I only use bottled water on excursions - generally I enjoy the ship's water.

We put the bag we carry to the beach in an outside pocket of a piece of luggage we check on the plane. When we arrive at the airport of embarkation, we take that beach bag from its exterior compartment, ask the cab driver to stop at a Quick Stop type store, buy diet coke in cans, then proceed to the port. Never any problem carrying soda cans aboard any cruise.

Archived