Do not book air through NCL!!

northwestbear

We received our air information for our Hawaii cruise while we were on another NCL cruise. NCL had us on flights that took us through California rather than non-stop to Hawaii (we live in Seattle) and on flights that had only scattered center seats available. We would not even be able to sit together. When we inquired about changing the reservation we were told it would be $320 per ticket. We found non-stop air directly through Hawaiian Airlines for $248 r/t. So we wound up canceling our NCL air reservation which cost us $418 per ticket. Plus we wound up with a $340 balance on our account that still has not been explained and a phone call from NCL advising if we did not pay by the next evening our entire reservation would be canceled. Lesson learned, we will never buy air from a cruise line again and this may be our last NCL cruise!

i think carnival handle d the right way..if we want d them to do it..they d do it..but, the agent told me that if i knew how to use the internet i could

find one cheaper..and that go s for hotel s too..:p

and yup..she was right..an hr later i was all set up

NCL is notorious for this practice. They have deals with airlines to fill their planes at min cost. I think they make more on the air than the cruise. I don't understand why they want to peeve their customers off before they even get on the ship.

I would take your situation higher up. It makes no sense to fly u to Cali. from Seattle.

When you book air through any cruise line not just NCL you get what they give you.

Although I must say the air department was perhaps the best service wise than any other department of NCL so I don't have a lot of complaints on this issue.

I led a group of over 100 seniors and we had to fly the same day of the cruise from TPA to LAX. Going out the day before was not an option. Had we decide to book our own air we may have all been on the same flight and maybe even saved a small amount of money. However, when you book your own air you are considered a cruise only booking to the cruise line. This means, if flights are seriously delayed, the ship could just sail away leaving you high and dry. When the cruise line books the air they know if your flights are delayed and they can make arrangements especially in the case of large groups. So we took the safe route and booked the air and transfers throguh NCL.

Considering our numbers and distance to travel we had fairly good flight schedules. More than half the group had an early morning non stop and the rest had a direct with a stop in Atlanta that arrived a couple of hours after the first flight. The two return flights schedules involved stops in route on different airlines, but the two flights home were scheduled to arrive within minutes of each other making chartered ground transportation home pretty easy.

LAX is a very busy airport and in the winter they can have foggy mornings which can cause flight delays. Yes, booking air through any cruise line is turning your flight itineraty over to the cruise line and gioving you very little if any choices. But there are some advantages. For us it was the best choice considering our circumstances.

NCL air department also provided me with the record locater numbers of the passengers so I could get seat assignments well in advance. So no complaints on this issue.

We received our air information for our Hawaii cruise while we were on another NCL cruise. NCL had us on flights that took us through California rather than non-stop to Hawaii (we live in Seattle) and on flights that had only scattered center seats available. We would not even be able to sit together. When we inquired about changing the reservation we were told it would be $320 per ticket. We found non-stop air directly through Hawaiian Airlines for $248 r/t. So we wound up canceling our NCL air reservation which cost us $418 per ticket. Plus we wound up with a $340 balance on our account that still has not been explained and a phone call from NCL advising if we did not pay by the next evening our entire reservation would be canceled. Lesson learned, we will never buy air from a cruise line again and this may be our last NCL cruise!

We fly out of Seatac also.....I always book my OWN air! And I use priceline or cheap tickets

Where we live, there are no flights through the cruiselines. That being said, I have checked out airfares from places that we could 'get to' and compared and it's generally better to book on our own, so that's what I do.

This issue appears to me to be not so much about the flights and fare difference as some sort of clerical error/computer glitch that has resulted in an account discrepancy. I had something similar happen with a phone company. It took me a full year to get it resolved. I had to call them every time I got a bill to re-explain the situation and have yet another person tell me what the problem was, then correct them by telling them what the actual problem was and who had confirmed it (I had all the names and dates written down). Finally, a year later, the charges stopped showing up on my bill - and believe me, it wasn't just the same amount showing up over and over, it all stemmed from the first incident, but it went back and forth as different charges and just crazy crap.

I'm not saying NCL isn't at fault for this one, I'm just saying don't give up. In my experience, I never spoke to the same person twice and there didn't seem to be any record of anything on my account with each new rep I talked to - sometimes on the same day! Just be patient, and try to keep in mind that the person you're talking to is not responsible (sometimes I will tell them explicitly that I know they're not at fault and it's not them I'm angry with, so please don't take the tone of my voice personally, and I think it helps them to want to be more helpful to me...).

On a similar note, I also had a seating issue on a recent trip we took. Our flights had been changed, and we were rerouted through Detroit and when I went online to check, we were all seated separately. I called to have it changed and the agent wanted to charge me. I suggested that since my understanding was that it was not legal for my nine year old to sit by herself, I didn't feel I should be responsible for having her seated with one of us... they put us all together without any further discussion! ha ha ha We did sit two together and one apart on another leg, though... and found that it wasn't much of an issue since it was a 6am flight and we were all just sleeping anyway. :)

Even booking your own air you need to watch it. I always have to fly to a hub city (usually Philly) to get to and from home. The airline changed my flight time on my flight home from the repo and e-mailed me to let me know. When I looked it up, they were allowing me 6 minutes for my connection in Philly (which incidentally was on the other side of the airport). I called and got it changed to another flight that gave me over 2 hours and barely made it since we sat on the ground in Miami for 1 1/2 hours.

I led a group of over 100 seniors and we had to fly the same day of the cruise from TPA to LAX.

I believe airlines will have a special group rate and a group department for more than a minumum number of people traveling together (20 maybe?)

The catch is that the group has to be paid for all on one check. So if you got a $400 fare for your group of 100, someone would have to collect the funds and write a check for 40 grand to the airline. That's not for the faint of heart, but you probably would have been able to get what you wanted from the airline, with such a large group.

I used Aeroplan points (Air Canada) and got Toronto-Miami on Dec. 15 for $81 (even though I used 37,500 points!

But it's still cheaper than paying $600!

And as everyone knows, if you can, TRY to go a day earlier. What with all the 'pricelines' and 'hotwires' out there, you're bound to get a great hotel deal.

Unfortunately, we're flying into FLL the same day our cruise leaves from Miami but that was my partner's choice.

The last time we cruised, we arrived a day early and flew out a day later.

It was GREAT coming to the port in 'summer clothing' in March and knowing we didn't have to rush from the airport.

It was even NICER knowing we had an extra day in Miami. We ended up going to Calle Ocho - the Cuban street festival which covers about 23 blocks in Miami. But I digress... :D

i think carnival handle d the right way..if we want d them to do it..they d do it..but, the agent told me that if i knew how to use the internet i could

find one cheaper..and that go s for hotel s too..:p

and yup..she was right..an hr later i was all set up

If I book air through NCL or any cruise line, I make no changes, and pay no attention to the later (don't look back)...:rolleyes: Sometimes, when I want the security of knowing we'll get there and be on time, that cruise air is a good thing.:D

I am so sorry this has happened to you but it is proof to me that this can happen. I told my MIL about this when she insisted on booking the air throught NCL. I told her (from reading here on CC) that our seats could end up all over the place on the plane. I could have booked us all from our favorite airline, American for $500 less but she didn't want to be hassled with it. My biggest concern was the kids not being right next to my and my DH and I. I am very particular where we sit on an airplane. My MIL and the useless TA told me not to worry that we would end up all right next to each other. Perhaps in a dream world that would have happen. I started calling all of the airlines that I figured would be the possiblilies and I called them all daily from about 2 months prior to the cruise. I finally landed some information about 2 weeks after I started calling. They had part of our leg but not all of it. I arranged our seats for everyone then kept calling until about 2 weeks later I was told that the other part of our flight had been booked. Whew, I arranged out seats and have checked on them often to make sure they haven't changed. The thing is that no one from the TA has ever called about these flights and had I waited we would have ended up all over the place. Unaceptable, especially with kids. Who wants their kids flying with strangers for 7 hours? My MIL said "oh, someone would understand and switch with you". Well, I don't think it is that easy. If someone takes the time to pick their seat they aren't going to be too happy about switching with someone. I wouldn't.

I believe airlines will have a special group rate and a group department for more than a minumum number of people traveling together (20 maybe?)

The catch is that the group has to be paid for all on one check. So if you got a $400 fare for your group of 100, someone would have to collect the funds and write a check for 40 grand to the airline. That's not for the faint of heart, but you probably would have been able to get what you wanted from the airline, with such a large group.

No this was not the case. The members of the group were booked into the group but with individual reservations and so their air was paid by their individual credit cards when final payments were due. They did receive a group airfare however, as the booking process went on some of the group members had higher airfares than others, (as much as $140.00 per person). The group air was a bit higher than what it would have been had we booked individual air on our own, however the security of having people arrive on time through NCL air was more important.

I will say that the NCL air department was helpful and kept everyone on two flight schedules as close together as possible, and they also provided me with locater numbers so I could call the airlines and get seat assignments. I also had a direct line to talk with the air supervisor for help which was great since other communication with NCL was not good and I never got the same res agent twice and there was a lot of lack of communication and coordination between staff of NCL both at home office and on the ship which has never been the case with other Cruise Lines.

In any event the air worked out considering the size of the group.

I am so sorry this has happened to you but it is proof to me that this can happen. I told my MIL about this when she insisted on booking the air throught NCL. I told her (from reading here on CC) that our seats could end up all over the place on the plane. I could have booked us all from our favorite airline, American for $500 less but she didn't want to be hassled with it. My biggest concern was the kids not being right next to my and my DH and I. I am very particular where we sit on an airplane. My MIL and the useless TA told me not to worry that we would end up all right next to each other. Perhaps in a dream world that would have happen. I started calling all of the airlines that I figured would be the possiblilies and I called them all daily from about 2 months prior to the cruise. I finally landed some information about 2 weeks after I started calling. They had part of our leg but not all of it. I arranged our seats for everyone then kept calling until about 2 weeks later I was told that the other part of our flight had been booked. Whew, I arranged out seats and have checked on them often to make sure they haven't changed. The thing is that no one from the TA has ever called about these flights and had I waited we would have ended up all over the place. Unaceptable, especially with kids. Who wants their kids flying with strangers for 7 hours? My MIL said "oh, someone would understand and switch with you". Well, I don't think it is that easy. If someone takes the time to pick their seat they aren't going to be too happy about switching with someone. I wouldn't.

I'm glad it worked out for you, but getting your seats changed is not as difficult as you may think. As I was describing earlier, when our flights were changed earlier this year, we did end up all over the plane and I simply called and explained the situation. If your child is not seated beside you, they are considered an unaccompanied minor and there are ramifications and responsibilities that go along with that that the airline would much sooner avoid than the simplicity of changing seat assignments. I've also never been on a plane where other passengers were not accommodating to family members or friends who wanted to sit together. I agree that when people choose a seat selection they would like it to be honored, but in most cases people don't mind a little inconvenience (sitting farther back for instance) to help someone else. I rarely ask people for this sort of thing, but I'm always prepared to have someone tell me that their seat selection has to do with their comfort in sitting over the wing or in the emergency aisle or some such... in which case there is always someone else I can ask. (two seats apart mean two 'neighbors' who might switch)

I just don't think seat selection is anything to be concerned about. Aside from wanting one of us to be seated next to our daughter, I couldn't care less if a travelling companion was near me... I usually sleep or read, so it makes no difference where anyone else is.

Agreed you can almost always to better booking your own flights, especially on domestic travel.

The exception is overseas travel, especially for cruises that do not return to the same port (like many Med cruises), or travel to an relatively isolated location (such as Tahiti). In those instances, the cruiseline may be better.

• Administrators

In general, unless you are very new to traveling (have never purchased airline tickets, etc. which sometimes is the case) you can do better purchasing air on your own. When you purchase air through the cruiseline you are paying for convenience (because that purchase also includes transfers) and a "little" peace of mind that MAYBE the ship will wait for you if something happens to delay your inbound flight (they don't "have" to -- ships can and have sailed in that situation -- but by booking through the cruiseline, they will also help you catch up to the ship).

For a savvy traveler, however, it's almost always better/cheaper to book air on your own -- you can pick your airline, flight times, routing, and seats. There are exceptions to every rule -- sometimes a cruiseline will offer a really great "air inclusive" deal on a given cruise. By doing so, they are effectively dropping the cabin price a ton, but without triggering the "my cruise price dropped, match it!" argument from other booked passengers.

Our Hawaii cruise this past summer was such a situation (first time I've booked air through a cruiseline in ten years) -- the total pp price we paid could be considered two ways -- either we paid the then-listed cabin price and our airfare was free, or we paid our airfare and the cabin price was cut by 50%. Either way, we were happy -- especially as NCL then booked us on non-stop flights between ATL/HNL both directions, on an airline we both have FF accounts with. It was cake, after receiving our flight assignments, to call the airline, add our FF numbers, and select our seats.

So it pays to comparison shop. Price it out all ways, and bear in mind that the cruiseline will get you there if you buy your air through them -- but the routing they select may not have flight times you want, or may include connections/layovers you don't like.

Anyone here could have told you that CL airfare is going to be higher than what you can book on your own 9 out of 10 times. Research first.

We heard horror stories about booking air through NCL, but we decided to take our chances and book through them when we saw their air prices were half of what we could find. Our schedule couldn't have been better - nonstops - outbound on Delta and return on United. The United fare which NCL purchased (class V) was even upgradeable to first! There wasn't any availability to do that (we were waitlisted but it didn't clear). But it was surprising to find out the fare class was upgradeable - I figured NCL always purchases the lowest bulk fare possible.

We started out with seats far away from each other, too, but my husband and I both kept checking the seats every day online, and ended up being able to move our seats together. We even got into Economy Plus on United, which gives 3" extra legroom than regular coach.

So it's not always a bad thing to buy air through NCL. Just my 2 cents :)

I don't think anyone should book any airline through any cruise line. You have no control over the schedule and you get what you get. I think it's well known that this is the industry practice and am sorry OP had to learn the hard way - would have been nice if they would have asked the question here before doing.

Archived