Question about Vista SS HC Suite and "concierge"

Rina's Mom

Hi,

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam in early December and our SZ guarantee became an SS HC room--8068. I was wondering about the bathroom. I think that (based on seeing someone's pictures) that there is a roll-in shower and that one of the sinks is eliminated in these cabins. But apparently there is also a tub. What I'm wondering about is whether there is a shower in the bathtub as well. I'd like to avoid getting the toilet and tp wet!

Also, can anyone tell me if the "concierge" who is available by telephone useful? Would it be a good idea to ask that person to request a change in our dining time or should we go ourselves?

Thanks very much,

Barb

I occupied a standard SS cabin during my first, and last, cruise in a Vista ship(Zuiderdam).

The bath and shower were separate. I don't know from personal experience, but the HC shower should be a roll in. You might call HAL for a definitive answer.

You don't need to worry about the concierge. The SS category (SS, SY and SZ superior verandah suites) don't have concierge access. Only the SA, SB and SC, classifed as deluxe verandah suites, are eligible for that service. Penthouse, PS, too, of course.

That's not a problem. The SS cabins are large, well designed and very comfortable. You should be very happy in one. They are better designed than the verandah (aka mini) suites on the S and R class.

There's nothing wrong with the latter, but the Vista SS etc are just a bit better.

The cabin was the only thing I liked about Zuiderdam, but I'm still very partial to S and R. :)

Thanks Stevesan for your info. The fact that you liked the cabin is good to hear. So far, we've enjoyed the S class ships the best as well.

The cabin we were assigned on the Zuiderdam is a handicapped cabin (I probably should have written the whole word when I asked the question). I know that the bathroom is therefore different, I'm just wondering how different.

The reason I asked about the concierge is because, according to HAL's website, the SS cabins on Vista ships have "24-hour Telephone Concierge." I know the Neptune Lounge is off-limits to us. I'm just wondering whether it's worth it to use this telephone-only concierge. Or is the telephone concierge non-existant?

Thanks,

Barb

Thanks Stevesan for your info. The fact that you liked the cabin is good to hear. So far' date=' we've enjoyed the S class ships the best as well.

The cabin we were assigned on the Zuiderdam is a handicapped cabin (I probably should have written the whole word when I asked the question). I know that the bathroom is therefore different, I'm just wondering how different.

The reason I asked about the concierge is because, according to HAL's website, the SS cabins on Vista ships have "24-hour Telephone Concierge." I know the Neptune Lounge is off-limits to us. I'm just wondering whether it's worth it to use this telephone-only concierge. Or is the telephone concierge non-existant?

Thanks,

Barb[/quote']

Aha! We're on line together!:p

I understood the HC reference, but I don't recall having the concierge telephone service. It may have been added since I sailed Z.

However, I wouldn't rely on anyone else to change my dining assignments. I must admit, though, that my daughter, and nearly everybody else, says I'm too controlling - just can't let go.

Anyway, I came back here because I just stumbled on Zackiedawg's review. She/He has an excellent description of an SS cabin:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=663421

It's not an HC, but it is descriptive and has some photos attached.

The reason I asked about the concierge is because' date=' according to HAL's website, the SS cabins on Vista ships have "24-hour Telephone Concierge." I know the Neptune Lounge is off-limits to us. I'm just wondering whether it's worth it to use this telephone-only concierge. Or is the telephone concierge non-existant?

Thanks,

Barb[/quote']

Hi Barb:

Yes, the telephone-only concierge is available to you as a passenger in an SS suite. I concur with Stevesan that it would be best to make your dining arrangements in person directly with the Maitre D' yourselves.:)

Bon Voyage to you!

Karin

I might be able to help you on 8068 as well!

When I went on Zuiderdam in October 2005, I was in cabin 8070 right next door to 8068. There was a CC member who was handicapped in 8068, and I went into the room to check it out. It was quite similar to our room (except everything was a mirror image), with the exception of the slightly wider hallway, the two chairs at the end of the couch were removed for easier access, there was a ramp for veranda access to get over the bulkhead, and in the bathroom, I seem to recall that the roll-in shower was located at the far end of the room with the toilet mounted 90 degrees perpendicular to the door. The sink had no shelf under it so a wheelchair could roll up to the counter...I think I only remember 1 sink. The tub was behind the toilet and was quite large - and yes, it did have a shower head in it.

Hi' date='

We are sailing on the Zuiderdam in early December and our SZ guarantee became an SS HC room--8068. I was wondering about the bathroom. I think that (based on seeing someone's pictures) that there is a roll-in shower and that one of the sinks is eliminated in these cabins. But apparently there is also a tub. What I'm wondering about is whether there is a shower in the bathtub as well. I'd like to avoid getting the toilet and tp wet!

[/quote']

We sailed in 6108 on the Zuiderdam, also an SS -- my husband requires a HC cabin.

Yes, there is a tub and only one sink instead of two in the HC cabin.

I cannot recall if there is a shower in the bathtub!

I used the roll-in shower -- which, as you noted, causes the toilet and TP to get wet.

The configuration was so annoying, we never booked an SS again! DH has talked to HAL's accessibility folks a number of time about the need to change the configuration of the shower curtain in those cabins.

I was in an SS about a year and a half ago on the Westerdam, though it wasn't a HC room. I tried using the conceirge to book the Pinnacle and I was met with the response that it is full and that was it. I kind of had the sense that the conceirge was somewhat annoyed, so I didn't bother them again for the rest of the trip.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Zackiedawg, I did see your review and your photos. In fact, I commented to my husband that they were the best photos of an SS suite that I had seen. I always appreciate it when someone takes the time to write a review and post photos. They always answer a lot of questions for me. And thanks for the description of the HC bathroom.

Stevesan, Karin and Drew358--Based on your comments and experience, I think we will make the trip to the Maitre D' ourselves. The time we eat is pretty important to us.

Oceanwench, thanks for your comments about using the shower in the room. Maybe it was your review that I saw that had alerted me to the wet toilet/tp problem?

This is my first suite of any type. I'm traveling with a girlfriend and not with my husband, which is also a first. We are so excited about having the suite--the only way we could afford it was to book the SZ guarantee. So we knew our room would be a surprise--and what a nice surprise it turned out to be!

Thanks again,

Barb

IYou don't need to worry about the concierge. The SS category (SS, SY and SZ superior verandah suites) don't have concierge access. Only the SA, SB and SC, classifed as deluxe verandah suites, are eligible for that service. Penthouse, PS, too, of course.

I think those cabins get some sort of "concierge by phone" service. There is a button on the phone that allows you to get in touch with a concierge. What those staterooms don't have, however, is Neptune Lounge (and the personal concierge) access.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have been lucky enough to stay in room 8068 on the "Z"! Other posters are correct about the bathroom. The room is great, you will love that extra couple inches of walking space. I must add that the best perk of the room is the electric curtains. One push of the button and....Let there be light.

I am so lazy........oh wait, that's the point. :)

Archived