With all the cutbacks I've been hearing about...

Bassic

With all the cutbacks I've been hearing about in the cruise industry lately, and with the "fuel surcharge" racket going on, do you think that Carnival should stop things like live entertainment? Do you think that the "No lobster" will affect your formal night? If they really wanted to cut back, they'd stop serving food altogether! Only water. The way things are going lately, it won't surprise me a bit to see that happen! Your thoughts?

There already is a cruise line that doesn't serve food. It's called Easycruise. They leave ports late and assume people will eat at the ports. They are super cheap. Do I think Carnival and RCCL will cut out food - no way. I think some of the blame for cutting out lobster has to go to people willing to pay a surcharge for the pay restaurants. I think the cruise lines figure that if they take away the premium food for free, they could use the oportunity to make a few extra bucks in the surcharge restaurants.

I think the cruise lines figure that if they take away the premium food for free, they could use the oportunity to make a few extra bucks in the surcharge restaurants.

It seems logical that the cruise lines would do this as the supper clubs have been successful for them. There is the thought by some that if you want a premium room, premium food and service, and other services such as spa you should pay extra. That means the rest of us see our cruise slowly degraded from what it was (my first cruise 1989). To people who have just started cruising and know no difference its no big deal. As a poster on another board said it will create a class system on board of cruisers. Those that can afford multiple extras and those that can't.

It seems logical that the cruise lines would do this as the supper clubs have been successful for them. There is the thought by some that if you want a premium room, premium food and service, and other services such as spa you should pay extra. That means the rest of us see our cruise slowly degraded from what it was (my first cruise 1989). To people who have just started cruising and know no difference its no big deal. As a poster on another board said it will create a class system on board of cruisers. Those that can afford multiple extras and those that can't.

But also the price keeps going down. My first cruise 10 years ago was in an oceanview on the Rivera deck and it was more expensive than my last cruise with a balcony.

The funny thing about Lobster is just a few hundred years ago it was seen as a poor man's food because it was something someone could easily catch to feed his family (along the coastline obviously) or to feed servants and prisoners. The upper crust of society didn't eat it. They ate meat that had to be raised and purchased, like chicken, pork, beef, lamb. Now so many equate it with a upscale meal. I personally can't eat it due to allergies, so I wouldnt' miss it anyway.

In case anyone's interested, here's a link with the history of lobstering.

http://www.gma.org/lobsters/allaboutlobsters/lobsterhistory.html

The lobster we had on our last cruise in September was horrible...very small so small thought it was a craw fish at first, they had 4 large shrimp on the plate to try to make it look like something I guess. And it was really rubbery. I heard they will be doing away with lobster.

We love cruising but it does seem as though in the last couple of years they have become so popular and the ships seem always to be sold out yet we have seen a decline in service and food for now though it is still a good value but I imagine that will change.

They keep building these mega luxury ships and the only way to get their money back on them is to give quality service and product to their customers. If they do away with too many things, I'll go somewhere else for fun like Las Vegas. There's some good package deals and discounted airline tickets to get there. We always have a great time when we go. It's not the same as cruising, but the entertainment and there's less hassles. An all inclusive to Mexico or Caribbean may be another option.

The lobster we had on our last cruise in September was horrible...very small so small thought it was a craw fish at first, they had 4 large shrimp on the plate to try to make it look like something I guess. And it was really rubbery. I heard they will be doing away with lobster.

We love cruising but it does seem as though in the last couple of years they have become so popular and the ships seem always to be sold out yet we have seen a decline in service and food for now though it is still a good value but I imagine that will change.

Where did you "hear" that Carnival is doing away with lobster ? We had it on our last cruise, they were small, so ordered more than one, and they tasted Ok.

Where did you "hear" that Carnival is doing away with lobster ? We had it on our last cruise, they were small, so ordered more than one, and they tasted Ok.

Maybe we just had a bad night cause usually I like the lobster on board but this time it was horrible. I think I heard it on these boards that at least on the shorter cruises it was going away. But I could be wrong.

*IF* cutbacks do happen, I wish they would allow us to choose our amenities upon booking- kinda like a cafeteria style health plan. I may want my lobster, while someone else might want Camp Carnival for instance. Maybe each cabin gets 3 choices of quality services or each level of cabin may get more choices....

Speaking of food - (don't get mad at me) but it might help if people wouldn't make such gluttons of themselves, and/or waste so much food! The only portion/waste control cruise ships have is in the dining rooms, where the portions are purposely small as to avoid waste. Have you ever seen anyone order a second entree and then not eat it? But the buffets....... seriously, you gotta wonder when you see someone walking past you with plates heaped so high with food, if all that food is REALLY necessary, or if they're just making sure they "get their money's worth". I can't even imagine the food cost for a week long cruise.

A~

But also the price keeps going down. My first cruise 10 years ago was in an oceanview on the Rivera deck and it was more expensive than my last cruise with a balcony.
You hit the nail right on the head. My first cruise was 40% more than today in a balcony cabin. My first airline flight was $203.00 RT from Binghamton,NY to Chicago. I can fly now from Tampa, Fl to NYC for $198.00 RT. On my first flight on the airlines I got a bloody mary or a beer for 50 cents. When the plane had reached altitude I was asked if I would prefer fish, chicken or beef for lunch. They even served the food with silverware.....Now I get a bag of peanuts thrown at me and pay $4.00 for a bloody mary.

There is no one to blame but the consumer and compitition.

We want things cheaper and the cruiselines will give us that cheaper price just to get us onboard. Then it all changes. $100.00 shore excursions that you pay $35.00 on the island. $4.75 Bud Lights. $10.00 martinis. $375.00 spa treatments. $22.00 8 x 10 photos.:eek:

We all made our own beds......now we have to sleep in them.;)

I have to agree about the specialty restaurants on most of the ships now, we've always avoided them because we didn't want the ships to get used to charging for more and more of what used to be included. Now you pay for coffee and ice cream and even cookies. They'll take whatever they can get and people just keep handing them the money.

Both RCI and CCL should take a very serious look at all these new megaships that they are building, obviously they are causing both lines to cut back their service/food/entertainment on exisiting ships.

They're in such competition with each other that the rates have remained the same for years, so they only option they have is to make cuts. Unfortunately, although we've had the pleasure of booking at some pretty low rates, we're the ones that are ultimately paying for all of these new builds.

That's only because of supply and demand. They have more ships and more balcony availability today then they did 10 years ago. Not to mention more competition.;)

quote=MikeIt seems logical that the cruise lines would do this as the supper clubs have been successful for them. There is the thought by some that if you want a premium room, premium food and service, and other services such as spa you should pay extra. That means the rest of us see our cruise slowly degraded from what it was (my first cruise 1989). To people who have just started cruising and know no difference its no big deal. As a poster on another board said it will create a class system on board of cruisers. Those that can afford multiple extras and those that can't.

Of course there are those of us who very well can afford the multiple extras and choose not to pay a premium simply because they aren't important to us. A class system? I don't think so. Not unless everyone is required to wear a sign saying, " I'm special because I booked the penthouse suite", or " I dine exclusively in the alternative restaurants ". My first cruise was in 1972, so I was part of the "good old days". Personally, I think the food on Carnival is good and on Princess it's very good, so I have no complaints about that. The cabins are so much larger today and we all have the option of a private balcony. Entertainment is spectacular production numbers as compared to a few singers and dancers. The ships now are floating resorts. Service is fine - my cabin is neat and clean and I always have fresh towels. My meals are served promptly,(I'm on vacation and not in a hurry), although without much flair. So, it's not just the newbies out there who are happy. I believe there are many out there just like me who perhaps have an occasional minor issue, but are generally happy with the great value they are getting with today's cruise prices. ( And aren't loosing sleep about the fuel surcharge .)

Well being an older cruiser I too have seen them start charging for just about everything. I also think that this new adult area on some ships will be a test . They will see how crowded it is and how popular and then they will charge a fee to be able to go there. That's how the specialty restaurants started; Very inexpensive at first and when everyone tried it out of curiosity then they started changing. It seems to me that cruising is returning to the way it was, a caste system! The change from older CEO's to younger management is affecting airlines (southwest for one) and now cruise lines. I guess change just has to happen! I for one think that the buffet lines account for so much waste. We never eat there anymore and instead eat in the dining rooms because the portions are small! Some just gouge themselves as if they have not eaten for a week! Cruising may not be for everyone anymore!

You hit the nail right on the head. My first cruise was 40% more than today in a balcony cabin. My first airline flight was $203.00 RT from Binghamton,NY to Chicago. I can fly now from Tampa, Fl to NYC for $198.00 RT. On my first flight on the airlines I got a bloody mary or a beer for 50 cents. When the plane had reached altitude I was asked if I would prefer fish, chicken or beef for lunch. They even served the food with silverware.....Now I get a bag of peanuts thrown at me and pay $4.00 for a bloody mary.

There is no one to blame but the consumer and compitition.

We want things cheaper and the cruiselines will give us that cheaper price just to get us onboard. Then it all changes. $100.00 shore excursions that you pay $35.00 on the island. $4.75 Bud Lights. $10.00 martinis. $375.00 spa treatments. $22.00 8 x 10 photos.:eek:

We all made our own beds......now we have to sleep in them.;)

how true...i still have A MENU from a flight i took from San Diego to Washington DC in 1980...those were the days. BUT the big difference between airline travel and cruising is that you fly an airplane for a couple of hours just to get somewhere...a cruise lasts a few days and is your WHOLE vacation, not just a mode of transportation.

Archived