Are Fires Still Burning In Alaska?

cmyers

A co-worker just returned. She wasn't cruising (rented a motorcoach to tour interior) She said the smoke is everywhere and it made it difficult to see the mountains. Said they smelled like they spent every day sitting around a campfire.

We have been living in smoke most of the summer south of the Alaska Range. I'm talking even further south than that, specifically the South side of the Wrangells where we have been very fortunate and haven't caught fire, (yet). However, the smoke situation pretty much cleared beginning about 2 weeks ago. I have been in Anchorage for the last 5 days now and it is very clear here. North of the Alaska Range is a different story although Fairbanks is reporting much less than they have had over the last two months. It is true the fires are still going as it is still dry and it probably well be smoky right into snow time. By far and away this is a record setter for Alaska in terms of acreage burnt. As far as Southeast Alaska goes, it is hard for me to imagine that they have much smoke anymore. Unless the Yukon and B.C. are burning far more than what we have heard about up here and there is an easterly wind (west) drift but they aren't reporting this on the daily Alaska aviation weather.

Archived