Alexandria/Port Said - Daytrips vs. Overnight

harrtchr

We will be on Princess this summer visiting north Africa. The itinerary includes the 2 usual stops, Alexandria one day followed by Port Said the next. I will definitely be using one of the private tours recommended here on the boards. My major point of interest and reason for this cruise is seeing the Pyramids & Sphinx, and what ever else the tour guide recommends after that as highlights will be fine.

I see two options, going on the overnight version with the hotel for the night or taking two day trips, one out of each port therby spending the night on the ship. We don't leave till 8:00pm from each port allowing plenty of time for the day trip.

What are the advantages & disadvantages of doing the overnight?

What are the advantages & disadvantages of doing two separate excursions, one for each day?

We don't sail till June, but I want to start planning now so any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

The big thing about Egypt is that Cairo is a loooong way from the ports. It is three hours from Port Said to Cairo, and about three and a half from Alexandria. So if you do two separate day trips, you are spending about six extra hours traveling through basically uninteresting country. It makes much more sense to do the overnight.

Check out our trip report and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland2.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

• 1 month later...

I totally agree on doing the overnite. We did just that last month, and those I talked to that did the day tours only said they spent most of the time riding on the bus.

Both Port Said and Alexandria are about three hours each way from Cairo so if you figure the time frame, doing day tours will be spent mostly riding both days where the overnite gives you time to see everything you went there to see. And even doing the overnite it was really rushed. There is just so much to see that there is never enough time in each place to really explore and see if fully.

The traffic in Cairo is such that you also have to account for the time it takes to get out of Cairo itself -- so, for example if your ship sails at 8:00 pm, they probably recommend everyone to be on board by 7:30, which means your guide will probably want to allow at least 45 minutes to an hour to get out of Cairo plus 3 hours on the road........so you'd be leaving Cairo by 3:30!

The other major advantage is to get an early start on your second morning. For instance, you can be at the Egyptian museum right when it opens and avoid the heavier crowds. Or you could plan to do a sunrise camel ride at the pyramids, or get an early start to Saqqara.....

Finally, if you stay overnight you have the option to do something in the evening -- sound and light show or Nile cruise or even just a good local dinner!

Hi

it is recommended to have the overnight trip as this will let you have long time to visit many sites in Cairo .plus the cost will be cheaper.

the first day you can visit

-the pyramids site

- Sakkara

-Memphis

-Sound and light show or Dinner on Cruise board sails 2 hours with show .or even you can have both .

the cost for this day trip will be almost 55$USD for each person if they are 2.

the hotel night price is almost 30$USD 4stars hotel and 50$USD 5stars hotel

second day you can visit

- the National Museum

- Citadel

-Kan El Khalill

the cost also is about 55$usd

good luck

Larry

The price I have received granted for less than 8 for Egypt is $360 per person for hotel and tour. The hotel is Marriott. If I book my own hotel it is $260 per person for minimum of 2. We plan to get additional people but a lot higher than your prices. Let me know what I'm missing.

The tour company is Nile Blue

The price I have received granted for less than 8 for Egypt is $360 per person for hotel and tour. The hotel is Marriott. If I book my own hotel it is $260 per person for minimum of 2. We plan to get additional people but a lot higher than your prices. Let me know what I'm missing.

Hi - I am also getting quotes in the same range $245-$265 each for 2 people - without hotel - from Nile Blue and DeCastro. There are only about 3-4 companies that have been highly recommended on CC. I am trying to find others not so much because of the price (which I think is about the going rate) as much as the "inflexibility" of some of the aspects of the tour - even if it is for 2 people. I'd be curious to know as well where someone paid $110 for the 2 days!

Hi - I am also getting quotes in the same range $245-$265 each for 2 people - without hotel - from Nile Blue and DeCastro. There are only about 3-4 companies that have been highly recommended on CC. I am trying to find others not so much because of the price (which I think is about the going rate) as much as the "inflexibility" of some of the aspects of the tour - even if it is for 2 people. I'd be curious to know as well where someone paid $110 for the 2 days!

We found that Egyptian Express

http://www.egyptianexpress.com/

was extremely flexible and cooperative and willing to structure our tour any way we wanted it. They are a first class company and a bit more expensive, but well worth it!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived