RCCL's Mexican Cuisine Workshop & Tasting

PH8

You dont need reservations just to go to Playa Mia....your husband can certainly meet you there.............and rather than you go back on the cruise excursion bus/van, just take a taxi back when you feel like it...

I wouldnt take a chance the cruiselines would let a under 18 kid on the excursion.......you dont want to be disappointed...

We are on the Liberty in July and I am looking for things to do in Cozumel. This looks fun, but I am concerned about the menu. We don't eat meat or shell fish although we will eat fish. I don't want to cook something that I won't eat (a waste) so does anyone know if the menu can be varied for special diets?

Yes, you can substitute the fish with chicken. You do not need to ask for it in advance. They will say the item is fish, and that anyone who would like may use chicken instead. The other people at our station both used chicken- not fish eaters I guess.

I don't recall any shellfish, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I think they will really work with any (reasonable) special requests!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for the rave reveiws of this excursion. You were so right! We had so much fun, we'll definitely do it again when we return to Cozumel.

It was Luis' 26th Birthday so of course we all had to toast him with a tequila shot!

We are arriving in Cozumel via the Independence of the Seas in January. My daughter is 14 and wants to be a chef and I was thinking that this would be a great surprise excursion for her. However I'm afraid that it's adults only. Does anyone know for sure?

thanks so much:)

Check with the excursion desk on board. My 16 year old nephew was allowed when we booked with Carnival.

Just back and the Mexican Cuisine Workshop was the best excursion we have taken on any cruise. I hope to do it again on our next visit to Cozumel.

Chef Luis is cute as a bug! I think he makes the workshop such a success.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our cruise and I had to come tell you about this excursion. In a word it was fantastic!! There were 3 people on our ship (Enchantment of the Seas) heading to cook along with the rest of the people going on the Playa Mia Beach Break excursion. When we met at the end of the pier, the person leading us had the 3 of us walk in front of the line and directed us to head to the pink building when we arrived at Playa Mia. We did so, and arrived to find the rest of the "chefs" (all from a Carnival excursion) and Luis and Moises waiting for us. We were directed right to our cooking station and started.

Drinks were plentiful and very good. Water, daiquiris, margaritas- whatever you wanted. Luis was absolutely adorable, and he really liked the young girl who was cooking at my station. He spent a lot of time at our area, and was just great with the three of us.

We started making our dessert, so that it could chill in the fridge. Then we went on to make the side dish ( a stuffed banana pepper) and the main dish- the fish is a large piece of grouper, and if you didn't like fish, you could have the "iguana" (which no one chose). Luis walked us through all of the steps of preparing the fish, then taught us to decorate our plates. When we were done there was a decorated table for us to take pictures at. We then went on to the appetizer then completed the meal with the assembly of the dessert. All this while drinking margaritas! We also had a shot of tequila (which i should have avoided, but...)

When everything was finished cooking, we went upstairs to the dining room and ate our meal, which was delicious. While upstairs, a woman came around to sell us the picture they'd taken of our cooking station. I purchased mine- $12 without a frame, $22 with the frame. We were provided with the recipes for the food we'd cooked, and a personal send-off from Luis.

Then we were able to use all the facilities at Playa Mia, which is a lovely beach with lots to do. We could have had any type of beverage on the beach- we opted for cold water. We hung around until 3:15, when we had been directed to return to the bus area for return to the ship. The a/c bus arrived and we returned to the ship by about 4.

I would highly recommend this excursion if you like to cook. We will be back in Coz in April and I plan to do it again with my sister, while my bil and nephews enjoy the facilities at Playa Mia.

• 9 years later...