RCCL's Mexican Cuisine Workshop & Tasting

PH8

Just wanted to share and tell you all what a great excursion this was!!

My husband and I (along with friends) did this class last Wednesday.It has to be one of the best excursions we have ever done.

Luis and his crew were so professional and made learning how to cook Mexican dishes so much fun!!:D

We made sopas(tortillas filled with refried beans,sausage and potatoes) for our appetizers......grouper(or if you rather iguana--aka chicken;) ) in a mango sauce with stuffed peppers for the main meal.........rice pudding/sugar cookie tower for dessert and we MADE IT ALL......

The drinks were free flowing and ones cup was never empty!!

After the food was cooked, we all sat down and ate together.they served us Mexican red and white wines....

I can not recommend this excursion enough........and trust me,even my husband who was leary of a doing a cooking class while on vacation loved it.........

I would do it again........and just might since Luis said he will be changing the menu next year........Great for repeaters!!:)

My husband and I (along with friends) did this class last Wednesday.It has to be one of the best excursions we have ever done.

Luis and his crew were so professional and made learning how to cook Mexican dishes so much fun!!:D

We made sopas(tortillas filled with refried beans,sausage and potatoes) for our appetizers......grouper(or if you rather iguana--aka chicken;) ) in a mango sauce with stuffed peppers for the main meal.........rice pudding/sugar cookie tower for dessert and we MADE IT ALL......

After the food was cooked, we all sat down and ate together.they served us Mexican red and white wines....

I can not recommend this excursion enough........and trust me,even my husband who was leary of a doing a cooking class while on vacation loved it.........

I would do it again........and just might since Luis said he will be changing the menu next year........Great for repeaters!!:)

This too was one of my favorite excursions ever!! Did he happen to say when he was changing the menu? We will be in Cozumel in March of next year.

My Wife did the class last wednesday as part of Kathy's group (I was busy scuba diving) and she loved it! I just processed our photos today and the food looked really good! I asked her if she would be able to prepare again what she prepared that day and she asssures me that she can. Mollie even took her chef hat home in the suitcase.

Tom

...this excursion is not available on NCL, but I would love to take a cooking class. Does anyone perhaps have more information...a website would be wonderful. Perhaps I could book it myself while I am there. Thanks so much, Lydia

Lydia B. I believe this excursion is only available through the cruise line. It is limited to about 20 people. It was the best $79 worth of excursion ever.

I was also part of the group last week along with Kathy and Mollie, and apart from being very professional the chef Luis was also the cutest. :)

Everyone has their own cooking station in a very clean and air conditioned kitchen, followed by lunch in a nice air conditioned room. There are clean bathrooms, and also the beach at Playa Mia you can use whenever the class is over, with more free drinks.

The drinks flowed, and we had lots of fun. My husband also thought it was the best day he had ever had in Cozumel.

...this excursion is not available on NCL, but I would love to take a cooking class. Does anyone perhaps have more information...a website would be wonderful. Perhaps I could book it myself while I am there. Thanks so much, Lydia

There is another cooking class in Cozumel, but it doesn't sound like it is as much fun. You can book it yourself, the Playa Mia one you cannot. If you do a search you'll probably find references to it.

This too was one of my favorite excursions ever!! Did he happen to say when he was changing the menu? We will be in Cozumel in March of next year.

He didnt say exactly when...........just sometime next year........

We prepared the same meal last year and had a wonderful time! Because of tendering issues, we were late to the beach and the class had already started without us, but they arranged for a private class after it ended. Another couple begged their way into the group off the NCL ship (which made it much more fun), but it took some doing because the excursion is captive to the cruiselines for the most part.

I concur - this excursion is definetly reccomended. If your ship offers it, book it right away before it's sold out! Luis and staff are wonderful and yes, the drinks and shots are free flowing the entire time you're there.

We have some pictures in this Webshots folder:

Caribbean Princess 2007 - Cozumel

I concur - this excursion is definetly reccomended. If your ship offers it, book it right away before it's sold out!

Good point..........it is very limited.......we only had 14 in our class.........

My husband and I also attended the cooking class and we thought it was wonderful! My husband likes to cook, but I do not....I had a blast and Luis is right there to help you!

Would do it again....and again....and again!:D

There is a class with Josephina. http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/CozumelCookingClasses.html

Not on the beach, but quite an authentic look at Cozumel. You actually go to the local market and buy your ingredients and then prepare them. Josephina is a fabulous cook and I know people that have taken the class that loved it.

CMcC

I just booked this excursion for DH and myself. He loves to cook so it will be perfect for us.

Question: How much beach time did you get afterwards?? Is it worth it to bring towel and swimsuit?

Thanksf for the great recommendation, otherwise I probably would not have considered it. We are looking forward to it :)

We had about 2 hours after the class....................if you want to stay longer,you can always just take a taxi back........

Im glad this helped you decide to do it.........Luis and his crew are the best...heres a few pics to give you an idea. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2002691890042692775wpWtIa?vhost=travel

Also,since you are on the 6 nighter, thought you might want to see the Compass..... http://travel.webshots.com/album/561512536CBBrrj?vhost=travel

Parrothead, Kuddos to Luis and his staff. ;) Like you I cannot say enough about this excursion. We have been on 35 cruises and this is one of the best. My family and I are going on the Voyager out of Galveston on Dec. 23 and I have made reservations to do the cooking class again:) along with my DH, GD,GS I am so excited. So, Luis if you read this I willl see you in December. Barbara

Lydia,Luis gave me his card, here is the info lesquivel@playamia.com Hope this helps. :) Barbara Perflady

My Wife did the class last wednesday as part of Kathy's group (I was busy scuba diving) and she loved it! I just processed our photos today and the food looked really good! I asked her if she would be able to prepare again what she prepared that day and she asssures me that she can. Mollie even took her chef hat home in the suitcase.

Tom

Tom, I was Mollie's cooking partner and we had such a good time. :) Please tell her hello. Barbara perflady

Although this excursion is no longer offered by NCL, excustion desk seemed surprised and not sure why it isn't...I contacted Playa Mia myself. Judith at Playa Mia sent me information as well as what times were available for that day. I am scheduled for nine that morning. I do have to get myself to the location via taxi, but thought I might be able to find others just going to the beach and share the cost. I am looking forward to this class, know my Italian class was a blast....could it have been the flowing wine too?

Thanks again for all of your help, Lydia of cold 27 degree Ohio.

Although this excursion is no longer offered by NCL, excustion desk seemed surprised and not sure why it isn't...I contacted Playa Mia myself. Judith at Playa Mia sent me information as well as what times were available for that day. I am scheduled for nine that morning. I do have to get myself to the location via taxi, but thought I might be able to find others just going to the beach and share the cost. I am looking forward to this class, know my Italian class was a blast....could it have been the flowing wine too?

Thanks again for all of your help, Lydia of cold 27 degree Ohio.

Dont worry,you'll have flowing drinks this time too.........Name your poison!!:p

Barb-make sure you tell Luis we all said hello and we are telling everyone about it and his staff..

I had been thinking about booking this for our 2/26/08 stop on the Voyager, but was a bit on the fence about it. After reading all of your positive reviews, I booked it today for me, DH and my parents. We've been to Coz numerous times also and I was looking for something different - I just can't wait! Thanks for all of your input.