Cabin Question

daddyo

I'm sure this question has been asked before, so I apologize for beating a dead horse. We are considering a cruse early September next year. The ports are Skagway, Sitka, Wrangell, and Ketickan.

My question is how much use would we really get out of a veranda cabin. The average daily temperature is in the 50's; so I don't know if we spend a lot of time outside on the deck. Would we see that much wildlife from the veranda to justify the extra cost?

We have cruised several times, but never Alaska. Any input is appreciated.

If wildlife viewing is important for you. I would suggest to spend more time out on the upper deck area. The best viewing spot is forward front place. If you choose to watch wildlife from the balcony, they will always magically appear on the otherside of the ship. Trust me on that one! ;)

Don't know which line you are going. Some ships have glass wind blockers so you can hide behind them to protect yourself from the wind chill. But make sure you dress in layers, waterproof jacket and pants are important. It can get quite cold in September.

With that said, having a private balcony is nice. I think the biggest benefit is that you can wake up to daylight every morning, without relying on an alarm clock.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, so I apologize for beating a dead horse. We are considering a cruse early September next year. The ports are Skagway, Sitka, Wrangell, and Ketickan.

My question is how much use would we really get out of a veranda cabin. The average daily temperature is in the 50's; so I don't know if we spend a lot of time outside on the deck. Would we see that much wildlife from the veranda to justify the extra cost?

We have cruised several times, but never Alaska. Any input is appreciated.

I can tell you we really enjoyed our balcony..Balcony cabins that face starbord or port tend to catch alot of wind..If you are worried about it being to cold you might want to look into a cabin that faces aft..You have alot of protection from the wind back there..We were always out with just a sweatshirt and it was very comfortable...Also when they announce wildlife you can see it from either side as the ship passes...

Kelly

DW and my 2 cents when cruising that the balcony was NOT worth the money

when cruising in the Caribbean. But Alaska is a different story. We got a

balcony on our 1st free trip to Alaska. Since then we are sold on it. We

enjoy watching the wildlife and the shoreline from our private balcony.

We been there in June and the temp was never a issue for us. In fact we left

the door open man evenings. Watching the glaicer from the balcony was worth the $$.

I think it really depends on you and you must honestly look at your personality.

95% of the people on our cruise would spend a few minutes on their balcony and head back inside where it was warm. If you are like that I would say it's a 50/50 call. You will not get the most from the balcony but your cabin will have a huge window with a great view to some amazine sights. It's up to you to decide if the price is worth it. I would not go crazy shopping for high dollar binoculars

If you are going to Alaska to see everything even if it means putting on four layers of clothes and standing on the balcony in 38 degree weather with 20 mph wind then you MUST get the balcony. You can see a lot from your balcony but it's a matter of how long you are willing to spend out there. The scenery is pretty easy to catch by heading up on deck once in a while but the wildlife depends on how much time you spend looking. That said, if you get a veranda, Alaska is full of times when you are getting ready for dinner and look out to the most amazing fjord with a few glaciers...

Really look at yourself and ask if you will be out in the weather to get a slightly better view or will you be inside where it is warm looking through a window.

From our experiences and other friends who have both cruised several times in the Caribbean and Alaska. In the Caribbean I spend next to no time on our

balcony. But on Alaska I spend countless hours watch for wild life. I found that

being able to watch in a chair with my family is alot more enjoyable on a private

balcony. Its cooler weather no mater where you are on a the ship (outside).

I found large oceanview windows are next to useless for viewing not to mention

taking photos.

But if you been on cruises before you understand what is important to YOU.

Does the OP or anyone here know which cruise line is doing Wrangell next year? I've never heard of it.

Not too many ships dock in Wrangell. I saw on another thread (and I checked it out and it's true) that Silver Sea Cruises calls there, but from their web site I assume it's a very pricey luxury cruise line. :eek:

Ok, just my opinion. IF wildlife is the priority, then taking a tour is far superior to the slim chance of seeing wildlife from a side viewing balcony. Scenery - YES!!! But wildlife- ??? overall, a small chance, and with the chance -a 3 minute view. :) Binoculars are vitally necessary, my preference are 10x50 wide angle, with the wide angle a must.

The cruise sailing isn't like the grossly enhances brochures, bears aren't viewable from the shorelines, whales aren't breeching feet from the ship etc etc.

With your Sitka and Ketchikan, my top tour recommendations would be an independent boat tour out of Sitka, for varied wildlife and puffins- if there early Sept, and a bear watch fly in out of Ketchikan to Traitor's Cove. May still be a savings over a balcony cabin?? And far superior viewing.

Not too many ships dock in Wrangell. I saw on another thread (and I checked it out and it's true) that Silver Sea Cruises calls there, but from their web site I assume it's a very pricey luxury cruise line. :eek:

Thanks Michael. I went to Silver Seas site and they do go to Wrangell, but the price is more than I want to pay. The lowest fare for the lowest priced suite is $5596 pp.

As for the OP's question. I consider a balcony important in Alaska. We probably didn't spend as much time out there as we thought we would, but it was better than freezing up on deck with the crowds.

As for the OP's question. I consider a balcony important in Alaska. We probably didn't spend as much time out there as we thought we would, but it was better than freezing up on deck with the crowds.

There are NO crowds except during the glacier viewing sailing. I frequently was the only person outside on deck. Key for comfort is proper attire, which I have. :) It is far superior for tracking wildlife to be doing so from WAY ahead, as I again mention, binoculars- wide angle are necessary.

We had a balcony cabin on our first Alaska trip. Sure it was nice but we rarely used it.

However, to Hawaii this summer we had an inside cabin and it was the worst mistake we ever made BECAUSE we couldn't tell night from day. It was NCL and the room was so incredibly tiny the only thing to do was lie down. Next thing you know, we were asleep. DH is pretty good at sleeping 12 or 13 hours straight, but I would wake at 4 A.M. and just lay there miserable.

Depends on the rising habits of your travel partner I would say. One person suggested tuning the TV to the ship's camera outside, but DH thinks he can't sleep in bed with a TV on. But he can sleep in a recliner with a football game going full blast.

Archived