What is the best way to get to Southampton?

Gerioo

Hi,

We are flying into London Heathrow airport and I was wondering the best way to get to the port of South Hampton? Is there a train that goes there or would we be better to take the cruise bus? As I recall, this is a very long distance. Does anyone know how long it would take to get to the port.

National Express Coaches run from Heathrow to Southampton; it's 65 miles and travel time is about 90 minutes; fare is about $28 at current exchange rates. There's also a bus/train combination, but it takes longer and you'll have to transfer your luggage at Woking.

There is no 'best' way between Heathrow & Southampton, the market provides different options which are the best for different needs and aspirations.

The only direct public transport option is the National Express bus service.

Big plus is cost (currently 13.80 GBP) standard fare adult, discounts for over 60's.

Downside is luggage (maximum of 2 cases per person neither of which should be more than 20kg) plus hand luggage. At Heathrow the buses don't visit the terminals, you use the central bus station, convenient for Terminals 1,2 & 3, not so conveninet for Terminal 4.

At Southampton its a short taxi ride to the cruise terminals (5.50-7.00 GBP) depending on cruise terminal.

By train its not direct, you get a RailAir coach from the bus station (that also visits T4) to Woking, then the train to Southampton. No luggage restrictions, though no porters etc to help you at Woking with luggage.

Same taxi ride at Southampton as bus.

Price is more expensive than bus.

Private transfers by prebooked taxi will be between 120-170 GBP dependong on vehicle requirements. Vehicle will do the journey in about 1 hour, well under half the time of bus or train.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We are flying into Gatwick and leaving from Southampton for our cruise. What is the cheapest (also quickest) way there?

Easiest is the train no changes <$60 return. about 2hours, there are quicker ways but with changes.

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/SWTrains

If there are a few of you one way car hire can work out cheaper.

We used National Express buses while traveling to/from/between London airports and Southampton in April and May 2007. We found it very pleasant and comfortable.

The fare from Gatwick to Southampton is about 22 GBP per person, and the cab to the pier is another 5GBP.

The bus driver will assist you in loading your luggage.

DH and I have this conversation periodically: if you travel the same road as the private cars, and the cost is considerably less, and the ride is comfortable and on schedule, why not take the bus (coach)?

Anyway, you can use this info to compare.

We got a funfare from Heathrow into London for about $4 for TWO. They don't have the funfares from Gatwick, however. We also used National Express from Stanstead to Heathrow when we came back in from Barcelona and rented a car at Stanstead.

We used National Express buses while traveling to/from/between London airports and Southampton in April and May 2007. We found it very pleasant and comfortable.

The fare from Gatwick to Southampton is about 22 GBP per person, and the cab to the pier is another 5GBP.

The bus driver will assist you in loading your luggage.

DH and I have this conversation periodically: if you travel the same road as the private cars, and the cost is considerably less, and the ride is comfortable and on schedule, why not take the bus (coach)?

Anyway, you can use this info to compare.

We got a funfare from Heathrow into London for about $4 for TWO. They don't have the funfares from Gatwick, however. We also used National Express from Stanstead to Heathrow when we came back in from Barcelona and rented a car at Stanstead.

Is the bus fare (from Gatwick to Southampton) you quoted rt or one way? How much is the train pp rt?

in August we went from Heathrow to Dover and then back to Heathrow after the cruise....it cost us 198pounds...that is there and back...there were 4 of us...another couple..so we split the amount..so it cost 100 per couple both ways...for a van...lots of luggage...two big ones pp and one carry on pp...

the driver was on time both ways...an easy way to do it...not sure if it is the cheapest..but if by bus is 22 one way..and then 5 more for cab....each way I asume....so we are looking at 44 plus 10...that is 55 pp...not much of a saving...but of course if you dont share with another couple then it is much cheaper to do the train by yourselves....

anyway....I am asuming that the train was 22 pp one way..if it is both then it is way cheaper to do it that way...

You are correct: the 22 GBP is per person one way. I do not know the price of the train. We were just the two of us, so sharing the private transpo wasn't an option.

Another post above said it was less than 60 GBP to go by train.

You are correct: the 22 GBP is per person one way. I do not know the price of the train. We were just the two of us, so sharing the private transpo wasn't an option.

Another post above said it was less than 60 GBP to go by train.

The train from Gatwick to Southampton is currently £17.80 per person for a one-way ticket.

I'm also not sure about the value of taking the coach on this route. Don't you have to go first to Victoria coach station and then get another coach from there? It must take something like 4 hours. The train is direct and takes half that time.

Yes, it's a 30 minute wait in Victoria, but there is no bus change. It's to pick up more pax. The total time is about 3 hours.

Personally, I would welcome a stretch and potty break if I wasn't in a big hurry.

It's just an economical alternative if someone wants to save a little money, and I found it quite a comfortable trip from London to Southampton. We didn't go directly from the airport to Southampton, so we broke the trip into two segments, with a stay in Central London for 2 days.

It's just an economical alternative if someone wants to save a little money, and I found it quite a comfortable trip from London to Southampton. We didn't go directly from the airport to Southampton, so we broke the trip into two segments, with a stay in Central London for 2 days.
That certainly makes sense. But for anyone who's going directly from Gatwick to Southampton, it would be cheaper and faster to take the train than the coach.

I've noticed that the National Express buses from Heathrow to Southampton run approx every hour. Our flight gets into Heathrow at about 6am. What do time do you think we should aim to catch the bus (our cruise isn't the same day, we're overnighting in Southampton)?

Also, do we have to book or can we just rock up on the day and get seats? What if our flight is late and we miss the bus (and have booked), can we just catch the next one?

That certainly makes sense. But for anyone who's going directly from Gatwick to Southampton, it would be cheaper and faster to take the train than the coach.

Which train do you take to make sure you don't have to change? Is it Southwest?

I've noticed that the National Express buses from Heathrow to Southampton run approx every hour. Our flight gets into Heathrow at about 6am. What do time do you think we should aim to catch the bus (our cruise isn't the same day, we're overnighting in Southampton)?

Also, do we have to book or can we just rock up on the day and get seats? What if our flight is late and we miss the bus (and have booked), can we just catch the next one?

You might be helped by these two FAQ on the National Express website.
I would like to make bookings from Airports - is there a problem if I miss the booked coach time due to flight delays?

For customers travelling from the airports, we do try to help as much as we can. Under normal circumstances we will try to accommodate you on a later departure, subject to seats being available. But we are under no obligation to do this.

Our advice when booking is always to book on a service slightly later. Then, if your plane arrives on time or early, and you are in time to catch an earlier coach, we will be happy for you to travel on an earlier departure - subject, always, to seats being available.

Please note that a small amendment fee on domestic bookings may be charged by the agent/office making the amendment at their discretion.

If we are out of the airport earlier, can we travel by an earlier bus?

Yes this is correct. If you are early, then all you need to do is go to the ticket office, explain your circumstances to the agent there and have the tickets transferred to the next available coach. Please note that there will be an amendment fee for the transfer.

Personally, I would expect to be out of customs about 45-60 minutes after arriving at Heathrow (ie aircraft stopping at the gate). But if you add in the possibility of delays and the chance that inbound formalities take longer than expected, you're probably better off assuming a minimum time to get to the coach of 2 hours from the scheduled arrival time of your flight - and then see the advice above.

Has anyone ever taken a car service from the airport to Southampton? we are 6 people and I think we could do just as well sharing the cost of a service. Does anyone know what they have spent on a round-trip Heathrow to Southhampton and back to London and who you ahve used?

With all our luggage for a 14 day cruise (plus there are 3 of us) I just can't see planes, buses and trains and cabs....oh my! LOL! I think my husband would refuse to ever cruise again if I had him making all those changes with luggage on top of jet lag from the West Coast of the US! There comes a point where we just have to bite the bullet and take the less economical way and save our backs!:eek: I'm hoping to hear from Amanda blake and her recommendation on private transport! Amanda, I e-mailed you again. :cool:

Archived