Which Cruise Line

kirky

We are looking at taking a rivercruise in 2009 (veterns at oceanliners) and am having a hard time picking a cruiseline. I hear that the Mosel River is one of the nicest for views but we would also like a balcony which I see not all cruiselines have. We are 2 couples in our mid-late 40's. Any suggestions???

We've been on two river cruises with Uniworld--one on the Rhine and one on the Nile. Both were great.

With river cruises your itinerary is the most important consideration. There's really not a lot of time that you will spend in your cabin, and we really enjoyed getting to know our fellow passengers as we enjoyed the views from the sun deck on both rivers.

Based on your ages, I won't suggest Grand Circle as you will likely be the youngest by far.

But, a word of caution about balconies on river boats. The balcony is small -I'm estimating just 2 or 3 feet deep. Plus, on the ships we were on, the balcony space is space taken away from your cabin . . . so you will have less interior space than a cabin without balcony.

Most lines have "French balconies"--basically sliding glass doors--no screens. When they are open, the heat or a/c turn off. Don't really think they are worth the extra money.

Your itinerary is the most important thing---find the places you want to see, then look to find the line that best suits. Some include all tours, some don't. Most serve free wine at least with dinner. Really look at the cabin plans on the ships--not all have hotel style beds in all cabins. Once you decide, come back with questions, there is a wealth of info here. Pat

We are thinking about the taking Avalon Tapestry "vessel".

CPT are you suggesting to take a cabin on the "Indigo Deck" rather than the on next deck and that cabins might have more room due the fact they have no balcony? This is an honest question not meant to cause a problem.

I would only suggest getting a lower deck for space IF the ship has "real" balconies that do not overhang. That is the case with GCT ships and those of a similar design.

If Avalon Tapestry has the "french" balcony, or an overhanging balcony, then this advice doesn't apply. But, you can't sit "out" when there is a big sliding door. Whether to take the lowest deck on many river boats is a personal choice . . . you are underwater for a portion of the cabin "wall."

We are looking at taking a river cruise in 2009 (veterns at oceanliners) and am having a hard time picking a cruiseline. I hear that the Mosel River is one of the nicest for views but we would also like a balcony which I see not all cruiselines have. We are 2 couples in our mid-late 40's. Any suggestions???

kirky..

river cruising is completely different that "ocean" cruising". we have been on three european cruises with GCT and would have to agree with CPT Trips-most folks are a little older that you. That being said i wouldn't hesitate to book a trip based on the itinerary rather than the age of your fellow passengers- thats what these trips are all about.these are rather active trips with a good deal of on shore sightseeing and not much time to sit in your cabin. we were given a free upgrade to a balcony cabin on one of our trips and if i had to pay for it i wouldn't. the balcony -on a GCT- ship is only two feet wide and cuts in to the size of cabin. i would also agree that the middle Rhine and the Mosel rivers have the best views.

just my input.

I have been on a total of 8 river cruises. On the last 3 I had a cabin with a balcony. I will not travel any other way. Having the full length window is the biggest plus. On GCT the balonies do reduce the cabins to only having 6 drawers, 3 on each side of the cabin. This was the only drawback for me

Archived