Off Ship Early???

CBowling

Anyone ever got off the ship early??? We are sailing out of San Fran for a 10 day cruise on Princess. We would like to get off day 8 in San Diego. Any info about this early departure would be greatly appreciated. I am sure this has been done before. Thanks!

A lot depends on whether the cruise line is willing to allow this. Some do and some do not. The problem is getting everything lined up with Customs and Immigration in San Diego. You need to call Princess and see if this is possible. I'm sure there are some who've left a ship early in a non-emergency situation, but every case is different and it all depends on what the cruise line is willing to do.

Hi Capt............that fine for leaving the ship early? It would only be enforced if the people who want to leave are big spenders in the bar........(read.....drinkers). If they left early they would have to pay a surcharge for the bar tab they didn't have the last two days....:D :D Ok just kidding!

I would be interested in knowing this myself as we live 45 minures from the dock in San Francisco and have relatives down San Diego/L.A. way. Now we would be driving or getting a ride to the dock. CBowling, I would guess you will be flying ? If so it may be a lot more to do the return flight from down there, hope you come back here and let us know what you found out.

424.gif

What is the last port you are visiting before San Diego?

(I'd be curious to know what the TA says too. As per the Jones act I figured that would be something hard to do....but suppose if you were on an excursion and didnt make it back to the ship on time anyways???

What is the Jones Act???

The last port before San Diego is Cabo San Lucas. I can't imagine a fine for leaving early, think of all the food we are saving them! Our room can be ready early too. Will let you know what the TA says.

The Jones Act refers to Section 27 of the Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (46 U.S.C. 883; 19 CFR 4.80 and 4.80b). The fine being referred to is $200.00 per passenger. It would not be applicable if you stopped in a foreign port such as the Mexican Riviera prior to disembarking in San Diego. Since the lines are primarily foreign owned and foreign flagged and thus prohibited (by the Jones Act) from engaging in coastwise trade (US Port to US Port) they would be subject to the stated fine. Without a reason such as medical emergency or other similar circumstance, it is unlikely that you would be allowed to disembark without visiting a foreign port first. While I know this is a tad complicated, I hope it helps.

Actually the Jones Act refers to cargo, the Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 is the problem. :)

As I replied on the Princess Board, the best way to find out if you can do it is to ask Princess directly. If they say OK, be sure to get it in writing!!

According to this article (which I refer to alot regarding the PVSA):

Sealetter PVSA Article

from the way i interepet it, disembarkation would NOT be allowed.

First, it seems you getting off in San Diego seems OK by this statement:

"A cruise between different US ports where no permanent disembarkation is permitted along the way, but at least one port is a nearby foreign port" is allowed. By stopping in Mexico you have satisfied the "nearby foreign port" requirement.

However, it seems like everyone else who gets off in SF afterwards would then be in violation because of this statement: "A cruise between US ports where permanent disembarkation IS allowed at a US port along the way, but only if the ship visits a distant foreign port and any permanent disembarkation takes place at a subsequent US port" is allowed.

A "distant foreign port" is defined as a port not in Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas or the Caribbean (except those in the Netherlands Antilles, such as Aruba and Curacao.) So by the way I read it's OK to start in SF, go to Mexico, and let passengers off in San Diego - but then it wouldn't be OK to go straight to SF or another US port and disembark passengers without stopping at a "distant foreign port" first.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on Cruise Critic so my interpretation might be wrong! Like I said, asking Princess is the safest route to go! :cool:

Actually, in my zeal I was referring to the "intent" of the Jones Act which is somewhat synonymous with the cabotage laws like the Passenger Vessel Act of 1886. I apologize if my comments were in any way representative of an attorney, which I am not, but rather just trying to help with the problem.

In my experience, the regulatory environment related to shipping and the passenger vessel industry is intensely complex on it's BEST day and open to a LOT of interpretation. I certainly agree that your first, best and most likely last, source of information will be with Princess Cruises.

Good luck and fair winds.:)

We had pretty much decided not to entertain the idea further. But for curiosity sake I did call my TA. She said it would not be possible simply because of immigration. So....I will sail on to San Fran, and possibly visit the wine country for a couple of day. Thanks to all for your insights. I have learned soooo much from these boards.

Archived