A Fist Sized Hole

Capt_BJ

A fist sized hole in the side of the hull?

Any mariner care to comment on this report?

I'm shocked. I know of much smaller vessels with MUCH BIGGER holes saved by BASIC damage control skills. And those vessels were not required to be in compliance with SOLAS construction standards for a vessel carrying pass' hire. SOLAS rules and this vessel sinking DO NOT ADD UP....unless the press reports are very very FUBAR

Either the reporting was wrong or this one sets a new standard for insurance sinking......

We carried wooden plugs bigger diameter than a fist. Bang one in the hole and if your pumps can't keep up HOW did you get to sea....

Oh.....reports say the last inspection showed problems with water tight doors......

Choose who you sail people.......

I was thinking it had to be bigger then fist size too. Was in the submarine service in the navy and had all sorts of damage control training, even a seaman recruit with only a couple weeks on the boat could patch that with a pillow and duck tape.

I just read this update in Fairplay Shipping Weekly

"GAP [shipping] reported that in addition to the "fist-sized hole" plugged by crew members, "there was additional ingress of water caused by further collateral damage to the hull, presumably by the impact of the ice floe". The owner also played down the pollution risk from the 190m³ of light gasoil on board to power the main engines. It will evaporate, with the cold water slowing the process, and "any escaping gas oil will evaporate with little or no harm to the environment", claimed GAP."

The part about the pollution risk makes me laugh. Since when did this one-ship company become such experts on oil pollution?

The owner also played down the pollution risk from the 190m³ of light gasoil on board to power the main engines. It will evaporate, with the cold water slowing the process, and "any escaping gas oil will evaporate with little or no harm to the environment", claimed GAP."

The part about the pollution risk makes me laugh. Since when did this one-ship company become such experts on oil pollution?

Light gas oil can by no means be compared to heavy crude oil.

The poor newspapers had the 'misfortune' that noone got killed, so they are now trying the second best: Enviromental damage.

It is all about HEADLINES and (PAPER)$$$ ...

Archived