What's up with Port Canaveral?

Roboat

We live in Orlando and love being able to drive an hour to PC for departures. Holland America used to depart from there a couple of years back, but no longer. RCL is moving the Mariner to the West Coast at the end of 2008.

That's 2 of the 4 major lines deserting Port Canaveral! What gives?

Is anyone aware of any cruise lines moving TO Port Canaveral in the next year or two?

Cuz otherwise, that leaves us with Di$$$$ney or Carnival. We took the 7-day Carnival Glory last year and it was fine, but it's nice of course to have some affordable variety.

We live in Orlando and love being able to drive an hour to PC for departures. Holland America used to depart from there a couple of years back, but no longer. RCL is moving the Mariner to the West Coast at the end of 2008.

Is anyone aware of any cruise lines moving TO Port Canaveral in the next year or two?

Cuz otherwise, that leaves us with Di$$$$ney or Carnival. We took the 7-day Carnival Glory last year and it was fine, but it's nice of course to have some affordable variety.

I wouldn't worry unnecessarily. RCI hasn't said which ship they will base there but have clearly indicated that they will not abandon Port Canaveral once Mariner moves to the West Coast. With the Independence due to sail next year and two Genesis ships to follow, you can expect that there will be a lot of shifting of ships and itineraries in the next few years. Port Canaveral is very likely to be in the mix as they sort things out for the future.:)

Although an official announcement hasn't been made detailing exactly which ship will be reassigned to PC, RCI has said that they are not abandoning the Port. Speculation is that it's a Freedom class ship. When we were on Mariner, the captain told us that they have been using virtual equipment to steer and park the Genesis ships in Port Canaveral, and it can be done now, without any upgrading or dredging.

Although an official announcement hasn't been made detailing exactly which ship will be reassigned to PC, RCI has said that they are not abandoning the Port. Speculation is that it's a Freedom class ship. When we were on Mariner, the captain told us that they have been using virtual equipment to steer and park the Genesis ships in Port Canaveral, and it can be done now, without any upgrading or dredging.

I hope that wasn't the same captain who was quoted less than a year ago as saying that Mariner would NEVER leave Port Canaveral.:rolleyes: I am sure that the simulators that they use to train their personnel can offer simulations of most major cruise ports in the world, but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the likelihood of one of the Genesis ships being based there in the near future.:)

Well after the reports coming out of Port Everglades of how badly they have handled embarkation and disembarking for the Navigator I suspect that Port Canaveral is currently higher in the running to get a Freedom class or Genesis class than Ft. Lauderdale is.

Monarch Of The Seas is at PC in 2009.

I just went to RCI's site and did a search for 2009 cruises leaving from PC and that's the ship. Have no fear, RCI is here! To stay! :D

Unfortunately, Monarch OTS is not a Voyager class ship and is older than the Mariner OTS. There is hardly a comparison between these two ships.

Unfortunately, Monarch OTS is not a Voyager class ship and is older than the Mariner OTS. There is hardly a comparison between these two ships.

Yes - however Monarch is replacing Sovereign, and many people enjoy taking the shorter cruises out of PC.

From everything we have heard in the media, from RCCL, and from the port, the expectation is that there will being a "larger" ship sailing from PC. Mariner is at almost 100% capacity every week --- so they're not going to throw money in the streets by abandoning that port.

Well after the reports coming out of Port Everglades of how badly they have handled embarkation and disembarking for the Navigator I suspect that Port Canaveral is currently higher in the running to get a Freedom class or Genesis class than Ft. Lauderdale is.
What happened with Navigator disembarkment. Have not seen anything. We were supposed to sail on Navigator on Nov. 29 but switched to Enchantment on Nov. 1. Had a wonderful disembarkation but we are Diamond and were the first group off the ship after the sel-disembark.

What other line is deserting Port Canaveral?

I wouldn't worry unnecessarily. RCI hasn't said which ship they will base there but have clearly indicated that they will not abandon Port Canaveral once Mariner moves to the West Coast. With the Independence due to sail next year and two Genesis ships to follow, you can expect that there will be a lot of shifting of ships and itineraries in the next few years. Port Canaveral is very likely to be in the mix as they sort things out for the future.:)
I think that RCCL will put a 7 day ship into Port Canaveral in late 2009 around the time they introduce the Genesis. Think they will base Geneis in Miami as they have other new RCI introductions and that would free up a ship -- possibly a Freedom class.

What happened with Navigator disembarkment. Have not seen anything. We were supposed to sail on Navigator on Nov. 29 but switched to Enchantment on Nov. 1. Had a wonderful disembarkation but we are Diamond and were the first group off the ship after the sel-disembark.

Look at Cruisingator2's Live from Navigator thread. Embarkation was delayed and they had issues getting all the luggage onboard the ship. Then disembarkation was delayed, there were only 2 immigration officials for the ship, everyone tried to rush off the ship once self debarkation began which just made it worse, etc.

Our disembarkation off the Jewel in February at Port Everglades was also a bit of a mess, someone who came off the Jewel in the past few weeks reported a similiar experience. It just seems like Port Everglades has issues handling these larger ships.

Look at Cruisingator2's Live from Navigator thread. Embarkation was delayed and they had issues getting all the luggage onboard the ship. Then disembarkation was delayed, there were only 2 immigration officials for the ship, everyone tried to rush off the ship once self debarkation began which just made it worse, etc.

Our disembarkation off the Jewel in February at Port Everglades was also a bit of a mess, someone who came off the Jewel in the past few weeks reported a similiar experience. It just seems like Port Everglades has issues handling these larger ships.

The Concierge and Loyalty Ambassador on Enchantment who organized Diamond debarkation also indicated that Port Everglades can be a bit of a crap shoot depending on how many immigrations officials are sent by ICE. Looks like they did not have enough porters. We embarked on a Thursday and disembarked on a Monday and there were only 1 or 2 other ships in port -- that probably helped. Weekends ion high season at Port Everglades can be a zoo.

When we sailed on the Enchantment last New Year's, embarkation and disembarkation were quick and smooth. (well, *we* had glitches, but they had nothing to do with anyone else! :eek: )

I think that we were the only ship there on both occasions, however, because it was a rare 6 day sailing.

I think that RCCL will put a 7 day ship into Port Canaveral in late 2009 around the time they introduce the Genesis. Think they will base Geneis in Miami as they have other new RCI introductions and that would free up a ship -- possibly a Freedom class.

My information is very similar. One of the Freedom Class will be assigned to PC when Genesis arrives in Miami. Royal caribbean always puts the newest and largest in Miami to start out the ship class. With Genesis in Miami one of the other ships has to go somewhere and PC will only have Monarch doing 3 and 4 nighters when this happens. Monarch's days are numbered as well. Pullmantur will probably get all of the Sovereigns by 2011 as the new builds come on line.......:D PC will get a Vision class most likely to replace monarch when this occurs.

I am sure RCI will put a newer ship in the place of Marnier as others have suggested. PC is a big port for them. As for Monarch, it makes no sense why they moved Sovereign first. Although they are the same size SOS is nicer than MOS. I agree the Monarch's days are numbered. I will be surprised if they live that ship in PC for long. As others have said there will be a lot of shifting when IOS hits the water and even more when the larger bigger ships hit the water as well.

My information is very similar. One of the Freedom Class will be assigned to PC when Genesis arrives in Miami. Royal caribbean always puts the newest and largest in Miami to start out the ship class. With Genesis in Miami one of the other ships has to go somewhere and PC will only have Monarch doing 3 and 4 nighters when this happens. Monarch's days are numbered as well. Pullmantur will probably get all of the Sovereigns by 2011 as the new builds come on line.......:D PC will get a Vision class most likely to replace monarch when this occurs.
A Vision class to do the 3 and 4 day itineraries would be really great.

Thank you all for your excellent information. Glad to know the Monarch will be here. Even though she is older, she has undergone a complete refurbishment. (Not sure exactly when.)

The 3-5 day cruises are a nice option, and it sounds like we may get a 7-day boat in a year or two.

Thanks again, guys.

Only 12 days 'til we get our first ride on RCI! :)

I had read somewhere that Disney and PC had been talking about doing something to be able to accomodate the larger Disney ships that they are adding to it's fleet. I would think that RCI would be doing the same if PC was able to accomodate the larger ships that they would be moving at least the Liberty or Freedom there.

Archived