Kicked Off Ship

partsman

Ah - then you should try Princess.... they have a fear of being sued, so they don't like to reprimand anyone for destructive or unsafe behavior.

Cruise contract says they can do it, and I applaud RCCL for holding to it. Perhaps if Princess had, I would still be sailing with them today. Instead, their fear of being sued for discrimination of a family caused many people to have the satisfaction of their vacation lowered significantly.

I agree about the cruise contract. I'm sure it was precisely crafted to allow the captain discretion in this area. Have not heard of anyone who got kicked off suing. You know it would be all over the media. I think RCI would counter with evidence of bad behavior.

The attitude of taking children out of school for family time amazes me. Family time should be spent after school, weekends, winter and spring break and summer time. What is wrong with spending family time then.

If parents are so concerned with family time then perhaps Mom should work part time to spend that important quality time with children after school instead of so many latch key and day care kids out there.

Taking children out of school for a week or more each year effects not just them but the classroom itself. This is one reason so many of our children are behind other countries in science and math.

What if you take a child out for a vacation and then they get sick now there time off is adding up. Be smart!!! There is plenty of time for vacations on their off time with out removing them from school

It seems to me the priorities are in the wallet and not in what is best for the child.

JMHO :)

It may seem that priorities are in the wallet, but since you don't personally know each families situation, let's try to judge too harshly. Perhaps there are several other mothers who, like me, DO work part-time, lead scouts, lead youth groups, encourage music and the arts, etc., and devote their lives to their children, and yet - we may travel during the school year:eek:. As mentioned in other posts, work schedules often dictate when families can travel. Personally, we cannot travel in the summer. By the way, I also supplement my children's education at home, as I feel they are not learning enough science and math in school, but are being taught for the mandatory testing. (That is an ENTIRELY different subject, let's not go there right now...) but I wanted to point out, that it isn't just the fault of vacationing families that we are behind in these subjects as a nation.

As far as it amazing you that people travel with their kids during the school year - I have learned that people amaze every day! People just don't act like I think they should most of the time. Oh well, live and let live.:)

I guess we are really lucky that my son's school is very accomodating. He is only missing 4 days of school and I bet he won't even have any assignments due. I agree parents know their kids best and no one can pass judgement on anyone else's choices.

It may seem that priorities are in the wallet, but since you don't personally know each families situation, let's try to judge too harshly. Perhaps there are several other mothers who, like me, DO work part-time, lead scouts, lead youth groups, encourage music and the arts, etc., and devote their lives to their children, and yet - we may travel during the school year:eek:. As mentioned in other posts, work schedules often dictate when families can travel. Personally, we cannot travel in the summer. By the way, I also supplement my children's education at home, as I feel they are not learning enough science and math in school, but are being taught for the mandatory testing. (That is an ENTIRELY different subject, let's not go there right now...) but I wanted to point out, that it isn't just the fault of vacationing families that we are behind in these subjects as a nation.

As far as it amazing you that people travel with their kids during the school year - I have learned that people amaze every day! People just don't act like I think they should most of the time. Oh well, live and let live.:)

Just noticed an error above - of course I meant to type "let's try NOT to judge too harshly." I don't see an edit button, but obviously I was too busy multi-tasking to proofread. Sorry!:)

The attitude of taking children out of school for family time amazes me. Family time should be spent after school, weekends, winter and spring break and summer time. What is wrong with spending family time then.

If parents are so concerned with family time then perhaps Mom should work part time to spend that important quality time with children after school instead of so many latch key and day care kids out there.

Taking children out of school for a week or more each year effects not just them but the classroom itself. This is one reason so many of our children are behind other countries in science and math.

What if you take a child out for a vacation and then they get sick now there time off is adding up. Be smart!!! There is plenty of time for vacations on their off time with out removing them from school

It seems to me the priorities are in the wallet and not in what is best for the child.

When we were raising our kids, we always took them to Florida for the last two weeks in February--one week of school vacation and one week of family vacation. They always completed their homework assignments for the week and never fell behind in class. One of our sons won the top student award at his college, so I guess our family vacation every February didn't have an adverse affect on his future.

I just wish we had tried cruising with our family back then. We are waiting for our DD to give birth to twins next Spring, so it looks like it won't be long before we are cruising with the newest members of our family.

Just noticed an error above - of course I meant to type "let's try NOT to judge too harshly." I don't see an edit button, but obviously I was too busy multi-tasking to proofread. Sorry!:)

No problem, we knew what you meant to say :D The Edit button is only available for 20 minutes.

Several parents have said that they take their kids out of school because it is SO expensive to cruise during the summer and holidays.

###

People forcing their attitudes on others is what amazes (and offends) me. It is none of your business whether parents work or whether parents take their children out of school to go on vacations. I don't care what your opinion is, and you seem to think that your opinion is the only right opinion. You don't have all the answers. Parents will obviously decide what is best for their family.

Well said!! If they're causing harm to anybody they should be kicked off. Why should we (good behaving cruisers) have to pay extra to have a cruise "jail"? That's ridiculous. If you do something as crazy as they did, then you deserve to be kicked off the ship.

There's no way a cruise line should be responsible for them when they were not responsible enough to behave and stay on the ship.

Cruiser, I agree with you. Why should a cruise line have to maintain on board anyone who is damaging ship property, threatening or injuring staff or passengers, or in any fashion breaking ship's rules?

Airlines will turn around or land at the nearest airport if a passenger is behaving badly or dangerously. Why shouldn't a cruise line have the same discretion to off load miscreants who are spoiling the cruise for other passngers or are creating a serious problem for staff and crew?

I know the passengers paid to be on the ship, but that does not by itself guarantee them that they can remain on board if their continued presence is a detriment to the cruise.

I read the first ten pages or so, and then the last couple, and I'm pretty sure this has been said, but..... I'm sure they put people off of the ship into the care of the cruise line agent in whatever port they're in. On every line we've been on there has been either posted in the daily schedule or at the pier the name and contact information for the line agent in that port. I'm sure most of the time it is to assist passengers that miss the ship's departure, but clearly they would also use them to take "custody and care" of those that were being put off the ship also. One of the original posters mentioned that they watched a family that was put off board a separate vessel at the tender opening and sail around the corner out of sight. My GUESS is that was a function of the agent in the port taking the family to transportation to the airport. If I recall, they were put off in Labadee where there is no transportation services. There is no way the family arranged for that boat from their stateroom prior to being put off. Bottom line is, no cruise line would leave you on the pier with nothing but your suitcase. There would be assistance, however meager, but assistance nonetheless.

Secondly, and more importantly, I SO appreciate the story told by the lady with her son and friend. I forwarded that message to a family member that is sponsoring a family reunion next summer, and there is a family member that does need medication, in addition to having terrible judgment. On the last cruise we took with him (RCCL) there were discussions with ship security and the possibility of being put off was mentioned by them in regard to his actions (underage drinking). That message and much of this thread has been helpful to our family. Thank you for relating your experience.

Third, take the kids out of school, but make sure you use the time to teach. I can vividly remember sitting on the bullet train in Japan when I was 14 yrs. old looking out the window at kids my age in the rice patties. As I sat there clutching my new skateboard that I had brought halfway around the world, I had an epiphany. Sit down, shut up and be grateful for your blessings. That has stayed with me ever since, and there is no teacher or textbook in the world that could have taught me that. There are MANY opportunities to teach, you just have to take advantage of them.

Personally I don't care if people take there kids out of school or not that is their business.

I will however say several people on these boards say they take their kids out of school because it is cheaper to cruise in off season.

Second a few have said they lie to the school as to why they take them out of school.

Third on the many cruises we have been on in off season we see dozens of kids and not once have we seen any with books in their hands they are either cutting up in the pool or in the arcade or running around the ship with their friends and Mom and Dad are no where to be seen. And even while in port we see them in places like Carlos and Charlies with Mom and Dad.

Perhaps some do take their kids and make the trip a learning experience and I am sure there are a few that have no other choice but to cruise during this time. And if that is the case then I don't see why they get so upset when a different position is pointed out.

If you have nothing to defend in your position why do you defend it. And lets be honest not all parents are doing the noble and right thing if they were we wouldn't have so many problems with young kids today.

I can appreciate that every school district is different. My son is missing a week of school before christmas which is actually only four days because nobody shows up the day before christmas break. He has to let all his teachers know about his absences. Generally his teachers have been great and they will let him do his assignments when he returns in January. We decided to cruise at this time of the year because reports have been done and not much going on until Jan.

We will be on this cruise w/ DS 16 & DD 15(who will be missing school for the first time ever because of a vacation) so it's good to know that we arent the only parents who will be comitting a "crime":rolleyes: As long as we dont get booted off the ship for it, all will be well. See you on board!!!

Personally I don't care if people take there kids out of school or not that is their business.

I will however say several people on these boards say they take their kids out of school because it is cheaper to cruise in off season.

Second a few have said they lie to the school as to why they take them out of school.

Third on the many cruises we have been on in off season we see dozens of kids and not once have we seen any with books in their hands they are either cutting up in the pool or in the arcade or running around the ship with their friends and Mom and Dad are no where to be seen. And even while in port we see them in places like Carlos and Charlies with Mom and Dad.

Perhaps some do take their kids and make the trip a learning experience and I am sure there are a few that have no other choice but to cruise during this time. And if that is the case then I don't see why they get so upset when a different position is pointed out.

If you have nothing to defend in your position why do you defend it. And lets be honest not all parents are doing the noble and right thing if they were we wouldn't have so many problems with young kids today.

Kidless thanks for your post. Agree with all of your points!!

###

Kidless...I agree with your points, but as far as the defending the position point, I guess, for me personally, I get defensive when people post overly opinionated posts regarding families. I was done commenting on this thread until the daycare/quality time, working mom, vacationing families are at fault for the educational downfall thread popped up - because - as a parent - that is very frustrating. For the mothers like me who do work hard at parenting, it is hard to let overly opinionated remarks just sit out there. As a mom, I tend to get a little protective:) But in the long run, if they are running wild, damaging property, endangering themselves or others, then they deserve to be left ashore:D

I read the first ten pages or so, and then the last couple, and I'm pretty sure this has been said, but..... I'm sure they put people off of the ship into the care of the cruise line agent in whatever port they're in. On every line we've been on there has been either posted in the daily schedule or at the pier the name and contact information for the line agent in that port. I'm sure most of the time it is to assist passengers that miss the ship's departure, but clearly they would also use them to take "custody and care" of those that were being put off the ship also. One of the original posters mentioned that they watched a family that was put off board a separate vessel at the tender opening and sail around the corner out of sight. My GUESS is that was a function of the agent in the port taking the family to transportation to the airport. If I recall, they were put off in Labadee where there is no transportation services. There is no way the family arranged for that boat from their stateroom prior to being put off. Bottom line is, no cruise line would leave you on the pier with nothing but your suitcase. There would be assistance, however meager, but assistance nonetheless.

Secondly, and more importantly, I SO appreciate the story told by the lady with her son and friend. I forwarded that message to a family member that is sponsoring a family reunion next summer, and there is a family member that does need medication, in addition to having terrible judgment. On the last cruise we took with him (RCCL) there were discussions with ship security and the possibility of being put off was mentioned by them in regard to his actions (underage drinking). That message and much of this thread has been helpful to our family. Thank you for relating your experience.

Third, take the kids out of school, but make sure you use the time to teach. I can vividly remember sitting on the bullet train in Japan when I was 14 yrs. old looking out the window at kids my age in the rice patties. As I sat there clutching my new skateboard that I had brought halfway around the world, I had an epiphany. Sit down, shut up and be grateful for your blessings. That has stayed with me ever since, and there is no teacher or textbook in the world that could have taught me that. There are MANY opportunities to teach, you just have to take advantage of them.

Just to clarify....there was no cruise line agent who helped us at all. I was given the news that we were to disembark in St. Maarten at 9am and was told we had until noon to vacate the ship. I was given access to the ship phone in our cabin ( as we were not permitted to leave our cabin. There were security guards posted outside our door) I was given the phone # to a local TA who could help me. At noon there was a knock on the door and 4 security guards walked us off the ship to the end of the pier and that was it. We were on our own to find transportation to the airport. It was a very scary situation to be in. For the first 2 hours we didn't even know if we were going to be able to get a flight out that day, my mind was racing in a million directions trying to figure out where we would stay if we couldn't get a flight. So the part about them supplying an agent of any kind was not the case in my situation. I had never been to an airport like the one in St. Maarten....when we arrived there that was when I started to really get nervous! It was definetly not any airport I was used to!

Short of hurting someone, sinking the shiip, starting a fire or any life threatening act, no passenger should be ever put off the ship. Confined to their room or locked up, but not put off the ship. I can't imagine what the kids possibly did. I have taken my four boys and niece and nephew on several cruises and know that they are going to have a great time, but can't imagine them doing anything to get kicked off.

I think the cruiseline is taking a great chance putting anyone off the ship in a third world country. If the family were hurt, abducted, robbed, etc., the cruiseline should be liable and possibly pay fines/restution for any ill happenings to that family.

Just my .02

Sounds like another "not my kid" parent. For your sake (and all the other passangers on your future cruises), I hope you are right, but the chances of that are not in your favor.

Not all parents may be doing the "noble and right thing" -

Similiarly not all adult pax cruising without kids are doing the "noble and right thing" -

• Some adult pax talk about calling in sick or feigning a family emergency if their request for vacation at a certain time cannot be honored (I used to manage a group of 15 employees in the tax industry, and some of the "excuses" during tax season were quite transparent!)
  • Many adult pax post here about ways to smuggle alchol aboard in a blatent disregard for the rules.
  • Many adult-only pax discuss ways to try to get discounts or OBC to which they are not truely entitled.

The list could go on and on but the point is (to paraphrase) . . . "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

YOU don't know what any of these family's situations are. Don't be all smug about "I don't see any books" and don't generalize about never seeing the parents about. I can tell you on our last cruise, my DD made friends with four other 12YO, and amongst the eight parents responsible for those five 12YO, someone was ALWAYS there. (If for no other reason than to protect their rights from kidless bully of a pax trying to cut in line or kick them out of a seat or venue where they had every right to be!)

Just to clarify....there was no cruise line agent who helped us at all. I was given the news that we were to disembark in St. Maarten at 9am and was told we had until noon to vacate the ship. I was given access to the ship phone in our cabin ( as we were not permitted to leave our cabin. There were security guards posted outside our door) I was given the phone # to a local TA who could help me. At noon there was a knock on the door and 4 security guards walked us off the ship to the end of the pier and that was it. We were on our own to find transportation to the airport. It was a very scary situation to be in. For the first 2 hours we didn't even know if we were going to be able to get a flight out that day, my mind was racing in a million directions trying to figure out where we would stay if we couldn't get a flight. So the part about them supplying an agent of any kind was not the case in my situation. I had never been to an airport like the one in St. Maarten....when we arrived there that was when I started to really get nervous! It was definetly not any airport I was used to!

This must have been so terrifying! It is stressful enough to get through airports these days, let alone without a booked flight, and in another country. I can't even imagine how you felt. I am glad you got home safe.

How about destroying cabin; smoking anywhere they felt like and flashing people (including children) on a tender? Happened on our Princess cruise 12/06. (One was a minor; both under 25).

Hey Don't get me wrong, if they destroyed property, were totally out of control, rude/obscene and dangerous....I completely agree. They should be put off the ship (in a safe and secure environment).

Sounds like another "not my kid" parent. For your sake (and all the other passangers on your future cruises), I hope you are right, but the chances of that are not in your favor.

My boys are not angels...but I do expect certain behavior from them. They were a handful on our last cruise, but to their mother and me. Thus they will not be on our next cruise Jan 08.

I do take back saying that people should never be put off the ship. However, I would expect they would be taken to a safe and secure location. With the sue-crazy world we live in I would hate to have my favorite vacation cruiseline sued over someone hurt or worse. Now I do not know what this family did or where they were put off the ship, but I do pray it was a safe environment for the kids sake.

Hey Don't get me wrong, if they destroyed property, were totally out of control, rude/obscene and dangerous....I completely agree. They should be put off the ship (in a safe and secure environment).

I believe that the ship/cruise line/captain ends responsibility with the removal of the pax and that removed pax lose their right to 'safe and secure' as overseen by the cruiseline once they have gone against the rules of conduct and been removed from the protection of the ship and its staff.

One would hope that the captain and crew would take reasonable precautions to avoid 'certain harm' (like if the pier were surrounded by armed marauders) but I think it would then be time for the ill-behaved to now take responsibility for the consequences of their actions. Yep, the rubber must hit the road.

May even help to prevent future outbreaks!! Perhaps others would think twice before acting up while docked in Jamaica! (rumored on these boards to be very unsafe - I have no personal experience)

Yes, I can be a barbarian, but I have not seen in the passage contract any provision for my 'safe return' and would not expect it were I to break my end of the agreement.

Of course, I now wonder if insurance would help?

One difference that ended our relationship with RCCL until our recent booking set for 2008, was the number of unattended children on our last cruise (AOS). 800 kids on board they said!

I know it may have been a chance happening and we could be at fault for the time of year we took our trip (our only option then/spring break for many) but it appeared that parents wanted a vacation away from their children while taking them along... and I'm not referring to the "spring break age" either.

One night there was an ice cream fight outside the ships “reservations only specialty restaurant”…now I do fault the ship for strategically locating an ice cream machine that close to the restaurant door....real classy decision!

On a separate evening we wanted to relax in the “Adult Only” hot tub only to find it was closed for a Teen Party!....That one put me over the edge!

Also many of these unattended grade school/Jr. High school aged kids one late evening (too late to be unattended) thought it would be a riot to switch the Do Not Disturb signs and morning breakfast orders to other cabin doors. So people expecting breakfast had do not disturb etc. Im sure thos people are still talking about that experience.

As a result we are very cautious at to when we sail and the sailing location and for several years we didn't cruise at all.

I knew the time of year was around spring break but honestly it wasn't the drinking older teen age crowd that was the problem. We wrote a letter to RCL which we got a "canned" response that went in several directions, one of which was under-aged drinking, which I did NOT even mention nor did I see to even be a problem!

We were on the Freedom of the Seas last April during spring break and I wish more had been done to control unruly children. On our particular cruise there were numerous children running wild unsupervised by their parents. They were racing around corners and running into people, dumping drinks over the balconies (my mom had one dumped on her head), running up and down the halls at night pounding on doors and ringing our doorbell, and during the gala buffet when we were allowed in for photographs only, they were running around grabbing things off of the buffet, ruining some of the displays. My mom and numerous other passengers complained to guest relations and they said that they were just as frustrated but there wasn't much that they could do.

We were traveling during my 17 year old son's school break, as we have our last four cruises, and this was the first time things were this out of control.

I don't think the issue is kids on a cruise, but rather parents who do not properly supervise their children. There are plenty of childrens programs on board, or they can be spending time with their parents.

When my son was younger, up until junior high, we did occasionally take him out of school for vacations. I am fortunate to have been able to be a stay at home mom. I don't think kids misbehavior has anything to do with working mom or not, taking out of school to vacation or not, but is one of parental responsibility.

My son was not allowed to run around wild on any of our cruises, but he learned at a very young age what acceptable boundaries were. If he made a scene at a restaurant he was removed and calmly talked to until he could behave properly. If we were at the mall and he wanted to go on rides he was given appropriate warnings, and if he continued to misbehave we would leave the mall, even though I had not finished the errands I wanted to do. It only took a few of these teaching opportunities for him to learn.

Archived