How early flight from Seattle?

Junebug1

We're sailing on Infinity to Alaska 9/12/2008. Is 11:40 AM too early to catch a flight home? If we don't take this flight we will have to wait much later & not get home (Pittsburgh) til the following day. If 11:40 is too risky I suppose we could spend one night post cruise in Seattle.

Has anyone had trouble making early flights post cruise Seattle?

Thanks,

June

From my few times in Seattle (and I'm sure the natives can tell you more), I can see there's plenty of traffic. SeaTac is several miles south of Seattle so I would think it would take a while to get there from the cruiseship. You would also have to figure in time to get off the ship (customs and immigration is not run by the cruiseline...those processes can start on time or late), time to catch your transportation, travel time to the airport, time to get thru security at the airport...

There are 3 ships in port the day the Infinity disembarks (I know I'm sailing one of the other ones). Plus she disembarks on a weekday so you'll have weekday traffic to deal with. I'm on Rhapsody (one of the other ships in port the same day) and RCCL is not recommending any flights before noon.

Every cruise they say no flights earlier than 12:00. Last month we were at the airport by 10:00 following our Dawn princess cruise. San Diego's airport is really close though. I wasn't aware there are three ships in port that day. Thanks for your help, I have a feeling we'll just get an early flight the following day. Better safe than sorry.

seattle is a great town.....i wouldn;t try to make a flight that early....traffic is almost always bad, they are doing construction (of a light rail) at the airport so that can tend to back things up in and out...PLUS that airport is very busy during cruise season...

while you might make it, i would stay the night and then see some of the town.

As a local, I definitely recommend getting to the airport 2 hours before your flight. As mentioned above, during cruise season, the airport gets very busy. Figure an extra 3000+ people coming and going for each ship all trying to get through security at the same time.

It is a good 30 minute drive from the port to the airport and I have personally spent an hour getting through security.

11:40 would be pushing it. Stay the night, there is plenty to see and do here.

I would also vote for you to wait a day before heading home. Since you will be arriving on a Friday morning there will be traffic between the pier and the airport. And, as others have pointed out, there will be other cruise ships disembarking passengers at about the same time. If you wait until the next day, you may find a earlier flight that will get you home at a more reasonable time.

Mary

Don't book anything out of Sea-Tac before 1:30 in the afternoon. There is major construction going on both at the airport itself and in the immediate area that will not be done before 2010 at the earliest.

Combine that with the two hour advance check in requirement, and you might find yourself in trouble if you are late disembarking (and that is not at all an unusual thing here).

As a former Seattleite, I agree with all of the above. Weekday traffic can be a nightmare, and SeaTac's security lines are legendary, plus it's a huge airport -- simply getting around it can consume a great deal of time.

Don't be sorry though. Seattle is a fantastic city, with more than enough sights, food and activities to keep you busy the rest of the day. In fact, you might want to return home on Sunday instead of Saturday to give yourself a little more time to enjoy the beautiful Emerald City.

Archived