Private tours in Hobart?

trvlgrlmn

We are on the Sapphire Princess sailing January 9, 2008 and will be in Hobart January 13, 2008. We are looking for a tour. Can anyone recommend a good tour and tour company?

Thank you!

Sheila

Sheila.....I have sent a complete file of shore tours and attractions to most Sapphire sailings between Australia and NZ . Check the Roll Call. However I would suggest you browse the following websites.

For a personalised all inclusive tour for 6 pax: www.tasmaniandaytours.com.au

If you are able to get a group of 12 together for Port Arthur...or wish to join Graeme's normal tour from a central Hobart point:

www.ibustours.com.au

Our Roll Call is using both these highly recommended independent operators. Happy planning and have a wonderful Cruise :)

B E V

I was just in Hobart, and easily drove to Port Arthur. Far cheaper and more flexable than a tour. IF of interest- everything is self guided at Port Arthur, although some tours, include the "tour" of Port Arthur, but they do not go inside buildings. I spent the day there. Rented from Hertz for $40/day, $20 for gas, $25 Port Arthur admission. Walkable to the dock, about a mile. Or a cheap cab to downtown car rentals.

Hello, I am also on the 1/9 cruise on the Sapphire Princess. In Hobart, I booked a private tour going to Bonorong Wild Life Park and Mt. Field National Park. It is with Tasmanian Prestige Tours and I believe they have room for more in the vehicle. If interested, contact Janet at rjonn@ozemail.com.au. I hope this helps you out.

I agree with Budget Queen. It is not a hard drive down to Port Arthur. It is sign posted all the way and you do save a huge amount of money by doing it this way. Good on you Budget Queen, it is the way to go!

Hobart and Tasmania is such an easy place to drive around, especially as there is little traffic. If you are a confident driver and are able to remember that we drive on the opposite side of the road, and that there is 6ft of car on the left side instead of the right hand side, then you will be fine.

Jennie

Hello, I am also on the 1/9 cruise on the Sapphire Princess. In Hobart, I booked a private tour going to Bonorong Wild Life Park and Mt. Field National Park. It is with Tasmanian Prestige Tours and I believe they have room for more in the vehicle. If interested, contact Janet at rjonn@ozemail.com.au. I hope this helps you out.

You will love Mt. Field. The walk to Russell Falls is wonderful. The trees are the highest of their kind in Australia and it is such a pretty walk. You can get a meal at the Information Centre at the beginning of the walk.

Jennie

Popular operators in Hobart.....my group is doing this tour in Feb. Info on the website: www.tasmaniandaytours.com.au

B E V

You will love Mt. Field. The walk to Russell Falls is wonderful. The trees are the highest of their kind in Australia and it is such a pretty walk. You can get a meal at the Information Centre at the beginning of the walk.

Jennie

Jennie....morning tea, gourmet picnic lunch supplied on this tour. More time to enjoy the amazing scenery ;) :)

B E V

• 1 month later...

cruisecruzer,

Yes the downtown location of the hire car firm is the closest to the where the ship docks. It will only take about a 10 minutes to walk into the city from the ship. Make sure you pick up a good map of Hobart at the dock so you can find your way.

Jennie

You will be fine. Hobart is not a big city (only 200,000 people) and the traffic moves well. It is also very well signposted. Just remember that there is 6ft from the steering wheel to the edge of the road on your left side. That is the hardest thing to remember when driving on the opposite side to what you are used to.

Have fun and enjoy lovely Hobart. It is a pretty city and one of our favourites.

Jennie

I would also recommend Russell Falls in Mt. Field National Park. If you are interested in seeing the tallest trees of their species then this is a must but if you only have one day in Hobart, the most historic place to visit is Port Arthur which really tells the history of our country. It is where the worst prisoners were taken in the early 1800's as Tasmania was a penal colony. It is a most interesting place to visit. Also the village of Richmond is worth a visit.

Jennie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aussie Gal,

I have another question...since I'll be renting a car. I am planning on following your suggestions and go to Port Arthur, Mt. Field and Bonoronge Wild Park and does this park have Koalas as well?

Can you suggest how much time I should allow myself at each place so that I can get back to my ship on time? Does the traffic get congested around 4 since I need to be back on the ship by 6pm?

Annie

We just returned for NZ. We rented a car in Tasmania and didn't have any problems other than with the car company. They said that it was a 10 minute walk from the ship - in reality it was an uphill 1/2 hour walk. When we arrived, the car was not ready - which was quite disappointing. We finally did get going about 9:15 or so and Bonorong was only about 1/2 an hour away. They had 4 young tasmanian devils that were cute as could be - they were the highlight of the park IMO. We sat and watched them playing with the keepers for quite a while. There was only one or maybe two koalas at the park, but they did bring one out so you could get a cuddle and some pictures. We did enjoy the park.

We then drove through Richmond - a quick stop to do a bit of touring through the miniature town - and then down to Port Arthur (about 1-1/2 hours from Bonorong). We didn't have a huge amount of time there - about 1-1/2 hours - wish he had had more time. Beautiful area.

We did stop at the Tasmanian Devil sanctuary on the way back - that was a waste of time - glad we saw the devils at Bonorong.

Sorry, another question...how far is the drive from the ship to Bonorong Park and how far is it to Mt. Fields?

Thanks!

Annie

Mt Field is about an hours drive from Hobart proper. I am not sure how far from Bonorong Park though.

You approach Mt. Field from New Norfolk. It is a very pretty drive once you leave the main highway at New Norfolk. I am sure your hire car will have a good road map included.

Jennie

Can you suggest how much time I should allow myself at each place so that I can get back to my ship on time? Does the traffic get congested around 4 since I need to be back on the ship by 6pm?

Annie

You need to gas up, outside of Hobart, you will pass several stations. You need to allow extra time since Hobart is congested at 4-5pm and plenty of one way streets.

I rented from Hertz, it was up hill to pick up, and definately allow 20 minutes, if you aren't on a trot.

I was just in Hobart, and easily drove to Port Arthur. Far cheaper and more flexable than a tour. IF of interest- everything is self guided at Port Arthur, although some tours, include the "tour" of Port Arthur, but they do not go inside buildings. I spent the day there. Rented from Hertz for $40/day, $20 for gas, $25 Port Arthur admission. Walkable to the dock, about a mile. Or a cheap cab to downtown car rentals.

We had a lovely private tour with Sefton Nielson on RollsonTour in Hobart. We really enjoyed Port Arthur. It took some time to get there but really was interesting and quite informative. We had a great tour with Sefton.

We weere not willing to drive on the left hand side of the road and the roads were very challenging!!!!!!!!!

Temma

Archived