Can you walk to Boatyard Beach?

EGG

How far is Boatyard Beach from the cruise ship terminal? I am not trying to avoid the taxi fare. We just like to walk, and there does not seem to be a lot to do within walking distance of the docks.

Yes, you can walk, it is a 15 minute to 20 minute walk. go south and stay to the right, cross the river to Bay St and go one or two blocks and go west down one of the streets and you will be at the beach. When I was there, 3 years ago, the water was murky and choppy.

Yes, you can. We walked it last Tuesday. It is probably a 1 1/2 miles. However, we did take the free taxi back at the end of the day due to all the sun and fun. The water was clear. Drinks are very, very expensive. We bought along our own cooler. You can not consume outside food or drinks on their beach, so when it was time to eat we walked a little ways down the beach to the public beach and had our lunch there. You get 1 drink with your entrance. Umbrellas are $2.

I moved Aplmac-Please help right above this post. It will give you exact directions.

How safe was the route? Is there shopping along the way? Food markets to pick up drinks and snacks? Interesting buildings to look at?

Once you were at boatyard; did anyone offer boat trips to see the turtles and shipwreck? How much?

There's been much previous discussion re. both Boatyard and Carlisle Bay("Boatyard's Beach")

- if only you guys would use the Search function!

Try

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=626357

and for fairly precise directions on how to walk from Cruise Terminal to Boatyard, please see

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=652784

I'm in Trinidad on holiday so please excuse the hurried response! :)

Hey Trish: Drinks were anywhere from $8.50-$15. (pina colada, strawberry daquiri, martini etc) I think local beer was about $5.

The entrance fee was $15 which included one drink (alcoholic or non), use of their beach (including two water trampolines, one climbing mountain, and the rope swing off of the pier), lounge chair, and a shuttle back to the ship. The umbrella was $2.

Shygirl: The walk was very safe with most of it through an open park, along businesses, a boardwalk, and bridge. Lots of people around.

Vendors at the beach renting jet skis, banana float rides, jewelry, etc. I don't think anyone was selling tours. There is some shops on the left side of the road. Not sure about grocers.

Thanks! I did use the search function. I don't know how I missed the thread with the directions.

sorry my fault...it took me awhile to find my own directions,

then I remembered I had included it in a thread

not directly named re. Boatyard or Carlisle Bay (thread-drift,sorry)

rpbcouple:

Thank you very much for the prices of the drinks! WOW they are expensive. Did they serve Banks beer by any chance? A friend of ours told us that if we go to Barbados we have to try their beer! The guy is not a real beer person but flipped over this. Of course I have to try it.

Sea ya!

Depending on how much time you have in the port - you can definitely walk but perhaps a short taxi ride is worth the cost. Dont pay to go onto the beach - just walk a couple of minutes more along the road and it is easy to acess the beach without paying - we did this and were able to access beach, payfor the beds etc all at a reasonable price. Really good beach but dont pay to get on - use the money saved for cool refreshing drinks etc.

Most of all enjoy - we walked back to the ship at our ease.

Good luck

B

Depending on how much time you have in the port

- you can definitely walk but perhaps a short taxi ride is worth the cost. ===> yes..unless you seriously like walking!

Don't pay to go onto the beach - just walk a couple of minutes more along the road

and it is easy to access the beach without paying

- we did this and were able to access beach, pay for the beds etc all at a reasonable price.

Really good beach but don't pay to get on - use the money saved for cool refreshing drinks etc.

All of which is exactly why I recommend Lobster Alive,

right next door, 15 secs further walk from Boatyard!

It's "free admission" to the already-public beach,

but you'll pay Art a lil something for umbrella and chairs.

One good thing with paying Boatyard their $15 for the day deal

is that it includes a 'free' taxi ride back to your ship which

after a long day is a nice finale that's pre-paid.

Don't get me wrong...Boatyard's $15 day pass deal is generally considered a good thing

from what I read among y'all

but for those of you who don't like the idea of paying for admission to a free public beach

(thru the clubhouse which offers showers,etc)

then going the further 30-50 yds. beyond Boatyard makes sense.

Suit yourself - it's all up to you how you spend your day, and your money!

Go thru the 'BEACHES' section at

http://www.angelfire.com/wizard2/cncisland/bigships/scenes.html

to see what Carlisle Bay looks like

If we ended up at the Boatyard.. which side is Lobster Alive located?

If we are looking at the pier would it be to the left or right of us?

Boatyard is Plan B for us and Lobster Alive sounds like a great place.

Looking at the pier, staring out to sea, Lobster Alive will be to your left.

Both Boatyard and Loster Alive have similar beach umbrellas

you'll see their individual groupings of umbrellas on the biiig beach

spaced about 50 yds. apart

They have a Seafood menu and a great big saltwater tank full of Langouste to marvel at:eek:

check here..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=649105&highlight=lobster+salad

for their menu!!

Langouste = Caribbean Spiny Lobster (no claws - just lots of thorns all over)

Our family chose the "pay" beach for the use of the water trampolines, inflatable climbing wall, and rope swing. The seven of us spent more time on these than on the beach itself.:D So you figure, you get a "free drink" which would be at an average price of $7 and a free taxi ride which is worth about $3 pp and you paid $5 for the use of the water toys. Looking at all the pictures I took, it was well worth it.

oh yes. the $15 Boatyard deal is a good one - no doubt about it.

You're not exactly paying for the beach

- you're paying for the use of their beach amenities,facilities, showers, chair,umbrella, a drink

and a 'free' ride back to the ship, etc.

Archived