RCCL "Not Helpful"

JPVENDING

I guess the main thing I need to understand here, is that.

#1. are you upset about the bag being ripped or about the horrible customer service?

I will be the first to agree that really good service on cruise lines, ( even while booking them) is getting harder to come by.

Although I have only been on a handfull of cruises, I fly for business on average of once a week.

To me.. Luggage is just ( the cost of doing business) It might be pretty colored, or have a sexy handle. but it's just an overpriced version of what they put your stuff in at the grocery store. It's the stuff inside that matters. A bag is just a bag.

If you dont want to sail RCCL because of bad customer service thats one thing? but. Over a bag? Lets be honest. They get piled up on a cart, shoved in a haul put on a plane. They are'nt supposed to last that long. If it was really new and really ruined go back to the luggage manufacturer. If you bought good luggage it will be under warranty. If you bought cheap luggage, thats the chance you take.

But again. Pick your battles. If this is going to be yours. Fight, brother fight. But remember, your lucky to win one battle. make sure this is the one you really want to fight.

Well said. And as others have stated...it's only luggage. As for customer service, I have no complaints with RCI. Recently on the Brilliance I had a problem with my wine and dine package. They couldn't find my order in the dining room and asked me for the reciept. I had to go to my cabin and retrieve it to show them that I did in fact order it. At the diamond/platinum party I saw the bar manager and respectfull told her of my ordeal. I also told her she owed me a beer for the inconvienance. At the time she shrugged it off and to be honest so did I. Well wouldn't you know that when I went to pay for my bar tab the bartender told us that Natalie was buying. And I could have had alot more than the 3 I did have. Thanks Natalie on the Brilliance!

I called Berkley when we bought the STA Insurance for half the price that RCCL wanted. Our 30" suitcases had a forklift go thru them & another man with a $300 suitcase had his clothes sticking out. Co refused to do anything but give us coupons for flights depending on price. So I phoned Berkley. They emailed me the claim form. We had photos of the suitcases & the reciepts for purchase at Sears. Berkley deducts 20% depreciation since they were a year old. Sears replaced them at no cost. to us.

Other folks on the cruise were having troubles getting damaged luggage claim from the Purser's desk. They bought the cruiseline's insurance but no one would help. Many had no luggage for a week & were given pants & sweaters from crew members to wear. I felt bad for them......... Never found out if they got it.

Why would an insurance company offer flight coupons for damaged luggage? What does the one have to do with the other?

Why did you get free replacements from Sears AND a check from the insurance company? That's insurance fraud.

Do you have pictures of passengers receiving/wearing crew members' clothes?

By the way, which cruise was this?

:rolleyes:

Why would an insurance company offer flight coupons for damaged luggage? What does the one have to do with the other?

Why did you get free replacements from Sears AND a check from the insurance company? That's insurance fraud.Do you have pictures of passengers receiving/wearing crew members' clothes?

By the way, which cruise was this?

:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly! My luggage went missing during a business trip, I'm sure I had insurance through my employer's TA, however I went through AA NOT both.

###

PC, is that that the suitcase with all of your expensive makeup?

Well yes all my Clinique makeup and my $170 CHI iron went missing, and my expensive shoes and clothes as well :) ;) I still cannot find the Tommy Hilfiger's dress shoes that I absolutely LOVED as well as the Chico's sweater and matching dress, and the Bermuda T-Shirt :mad: But I digress... I'm a material girl, sorry Carol :p

###

I went on a cruise to Alaska with my father a couple of years ago, on board the Diamond Princess. I borrowed a big suitcase from a friend for the trip. When the bag was delivered to my cabin, the entire wheel and all was ripped off. I had to drag that darn thing through the airports coming back from the cruise. With no wheel...what a pain! :eek: We had bought travel insurance through AAA, but I ended up not needing it. Princess had me buy a replacement bag and sent me a check for it after I faxed them the receipt. It took about a month of playing phone tag with their people, but at least they eventually paid for it.

All I can say is be persistent with them. Fill out whatever forms they want you to and follow their red tape procedures. Eventually it will pay off. :)

The benifit of the doubt LOL, Are you crazy, I have worked in the service indusrty for 18 years, I have seen every scam you can think of and then some and let me tell you more and more the "always right almighty customer" is not always honest. At the end of the day companies are in business to make money, believing every sob story, lost luggage, damaged luggage costs companies millions every year in service recovery. The ones who can actualy prove their case get reimbursed the ones who kick and moan on these boards do not because they cannot be bothered to follow the system. Do you see insurance companies pay out after car accidents without investigation? Its the same for every business. The day and age of the honest customer is gone and unfortunately companies have to protect them selves against fraudelent claims which are much too frequent. I would research your figures before claiming 99% of people are honest, hahaha I would love to live in that world.

EXACTLY!!! I work in the service industry and I am constantly amazed at what customers pull to either save a buck or to rip us off...

The customer is NOT always right.... sometimes the customer is just a big, cheap jerk and my job is foremost to protect the company from those who take advantage of the system... In the long run, my ability to protect the company from loss, actually saves the consumer money... When companies lose money to theft or damage or just idiot customers - eventually they pass that down to the consumer...

I wish people wouldn't come down on those of us in service whenever they don't get what they want...

For the OP... I agree with the guy who said you should skip RCI and just claim you dropped it or whatever... your chances of getting reimbursed are better that way... RCI as a company probably doesn't want to waste the time (aka, payroll hours) to research what happened to your bag... their time is better spent on issues that cost them more money... I hate to put it that way...

As for the type of customer service you received... I just have to ask about your attitude going into this... 'cause if you were rude or condescending towards the rep - yeah, that's a surefire way to guarantee you won't get what you want out of any business... Your C&A status has nothing to do with the level of service you should expect from a representative... but your attitude towards the rep can make or break it...

My wife and I are platinum members and have cruised on RC exclusively for about 10 cruises in which we always buy the insurance, not really sure what it covers but it's nice to know we have it. Well upon getting off the Voyager of the Seas in Barcelona we find one of our roll bags has the wheel apparatus completely ripped off, my wife obviously wasn't aware of this, she just thought that bag was heavy as she dragged it to the taxi line. So we got in the taxi and rode away figuring no problem we paid 160 dollars every time for insurance we never use. But now we were glad we bought it. We took pictures of the damage as well standing in front of the terminal.

So today I called RC and got the run-around about since we were outside the terminal it wasn't their problem I needed to contact the insurance company, "Berkley" which we booked through RC. Well I contacted Berkley and the lady said I need to file a damage report through RC first. So I called RC and talked to the same lady and she begin to lecture me about what I need to do. So finally I had enough and told her what I though, so she is supposed to "get back to me" it's just a piece of luggage I feel like just throwing it away and telling them pound sand. We are booking another cruise for May and I think now we are going Princess after this incident. I don't pay 3k to be treated like this.

Does anyone else have any similar stories or incidents? Also is there any other options I have on resolving this. I just want my bag the way I left it in the hall the night before! Thanks for any help!!

Jason Paul

Voyager of the Seas

November 3, 2007

Hi just , wanted to say that I dont know but once you left the ship RCCL really isnt responsible but once I had a suitcase delivered to my room that the zipper was broken completely I asked them to help if they could you know to fix the zipper it was a old case ,anyway they couldnt fix it so they provided me with a brand new one !!! I was surprized I really did not expect that

Can't anyone just believe the customer anymore? I know it's a novel idea, but I'm old school. Do we all need to be Clarence Darrow? 99.9% of us are completely honest. What happened to trust and benefit of doubt? I think it's just good business sense. Thanks...off my soapbox now ;)

I think that more than .01% of the population is less than honest. I see it everyday. Everyone lies about something or another. Think about it. If proof were not required, compaines would not be in business today. Ripped and torn luggage should be expected, it is called wear and tear. Nothing lasts forever. I had a brand new piece of luggage damaged by the airlines the very first time I used it. I got over it.

We are booking another cruise for May and I think now we are going Princess after this incident. I don't pay 3k to be treated like this.

Does anyone else have any similar stories or incidents?

Yeah I have a similar story, I just got off the Golden PRINCESS and one of our brand new bags had damage. Changing cruise lines is not going to change anything, from what I can tell it is the apes in the ports that mishandle the bags. We watched them unloading racks of luggage with forklifts and about every 3rd forklift dropped luggage on the pier.

We liked the luggage we had just bought, but it promptly went back to the store we bought it from prior to the cruise and returned for a full refund. If the luggage can't handle being handled, then it goes back.

crap happens.

Archived