London Hotel?

Len3

I made reservations at LunaSimone. My daughter stayed there in 2006 and thought it was sweet. It's close to Victoria station, and since we have decided to try the train, it should be easy. Our quoted price for April was 90 pounds with tax and breakfast.

A great hotel i've stayed in a number of times is the Hilton islington - this is my review on tripadvisor ( december 2007 )

We've stayed at this hotel before on a number of occasions - this was a 2 night break before heading of to Hong Kong for Christmas.

We arrived late due to fog at Heathrow airport - checkin was very quick - but as we got to our room neither room key would work ( this happened a number of times over the 2 days ) anyway quickly sorted out with a trip to the front desk - the hotel should look into this !!

Room was good as usual - no complaints !!

The area around the hotel is brilliant - lots of places to eat - very close to the Angel tube station - and some great places to shop.

Breakfast in the hotel - was good apart from the lack of hot food - whether this was because the hotel was busy coming up to Xmas i'm not sure - we never had that problem before.

Check-out - this is were we thought we where going to be stuck, our flight to Hong Kong didn't leave to 9pm - we wanted to have a shower in the afternoon to freshen up - so we asked at the front desk would it be possible to have a late check-out around 4pm - The staff kindly arranged for this to happen and we were very greatful for this.

Overall another great stay in the Islington and hopefully we'll staying there in the near future !!

jj...

We made reservations at the Park Plaza for June 11-13 pre- NCL Jade. I guess June is higher because our rate is 194 GBP per night and no AAA rate available! Darn! I still am finding it to be reasonable compared to MOST! What sticker shock I had when trying to book London for the first time! We do have our 16 year old with us, so perhaps that's part of the price difference. At least they do take 3 people!!!:cool: I'll post when we get back if those of you booked there would like info!

WOW - they really jumped the rates. I booked 3 nights beginning July 25th at 95GBP.

Hmmmm. Thanks for the heads up, Len! I will keep checking...I know we are mid week, plus we have that third person (darling teen son!)...wonder if that has something to do with the rate. I'll keep checking, but think we will still stay here regardless!

• 2 weeks later...
It's a BRAND NEW luxury hotel...

They do understand accoustics and insulation nowadays when they construct these things...It's not all that hard to filter out traffic noise...

BTW, they've recently published an AAA rate...and I was able to redo my reservation at 85.5 GBP per night...

I have no qualms whatsoever in choosing this hotel and am looking forward to staying there...

We're staying at the same hotel/same rate/ and I think at the same time Steve. My next concern is the best way to get to Heathrow from the hotel. The Heathrow express comes into Paddington Station (only 15 minutes on the express to Heathrow, vs. an hour or more by taxi). But is it worth taking a taxi or train to Paddington in order to catch the express. I'm curious what you are doing? :)

We're staying at the same hotel/same rate/ and I think at the same time Steve. My next concern is the best way to get to Heathrow from the hotel. The Heathrow express comes into Paddington Station (only 15 minutes on the express to Heathrow, vs. an hour or more by taxi). But is it worth taking a taxi or train to Paddington in order to catch the express. I'm curious what you are doing? :)

We're doing it in the other direction...It's at the end of our cruise--which goes from Stockholm to Harwich...We were thinking of taking the train from Harwich to Liverpool Street Station and a taxi from there (£25 pp plus cost of taxi) but opted instead to just take the Celebrity transfer to Victoria Coach Station and a short cab ride ($85 US pp plus taxi) just to keep it simple...

A cab from Heathrow to here would be somewhat costly--but easy and direct...

You'll also waste that time saved with the express getting off the train, finding a cab and getting across town to the hotel...but it is cheaper...

There are also some other choices, including some shuttle services such as this one:

https://secure.fast.net.uk/hotelink/index.html

or this one:

http://www.dot2.com/Home.aspx

I am tempted to try one of these for my trip from the hotel to Heathrow at the end of our stay.

I had actually reserved HoteLink last time in London, but allowed the concierge at the Rubens to talk me into canceling and taking a cab instead...I kept second-guessing myself as I watched that taxi meter tick away on the trip to Heathrow...

Perhaps some of the Londoners on this board have some good advice on this one?

We're actually doing the same direction as you - sorry if I was confusing. We're getting off the July 19 Celebrity Constellation Cruise on Aug.2nd in Harwich, and finding our way to the Park Place County Hall Hotel. What I am worried about is our transportation to Heathrow after our stay at the hotel. I will check out your shuttle links, so thanks for that info. I just wondered how you were going to do it...thanks!

We're actually doing the same direction as you - sorry if I was confusing. We're getting off the July 19 Celebrity Constellation Cruise on Aug.2nd in Harwich, and finding our way to the Park Place County Hall Hotel. What I am worried about is our transportation to Heathrow after our stay at the hotel. I will check out your shuttle links, so thanks for that info. I just wondered how you were going to do it...thanks!

Sorry, Linda...

The confusion is all mine...I just re-read youir prior post...

I think I saw "the Heathrow Express COMES INTO Paddington..." and "...train to Paddington..." and that threw me off...I need to concentrate when I read...

I booked a pre-cruise night at Premier Inn, County Hall. Another fantastic location, has been getting terrific reviews at travel advisor. Got a rate of 120 GBP. Still interested in getting together with others for sharing transportation to Southampton on 5/19/08. :)

What I am worried about is our transportation to Heathrow after our stay at the hotel. I will check out your shuttle links, so thanks for that info. I just wondered how you were going to do it...thanks!

We have booked Premier Inn County Hall in October - and dot2dot transfers to/from Heathrow. I think it's about 16-17 GBP pp - we are paying 66GBP return for the two of us. They say they make a mximum of three stops Pick ups) on any trip.

Dot

On another board (Fodors) someone posted this website for me http://www.hrs.com It is great - there are plenty of reasonably priced hotels and has great descriptions, pictures etc. I am booking the London Guards hotel for three nights comes to $459 US inc tax and breakfast. Check out the website - the prices there are a lot less than the hotel websites and there are dozens to choose from.

• 2 weeks later...

I read all of your replies and have a suggestion. We're also staying in London post-cruise and needed a way from hotel to Heathrow. One suggestion was by Bruin Steve was to try Dot2. I highly recommend them, than using a taxi service. Taxi's can be extremely costly, especially if they run into traffic...tick tick away!:(

If you are willing to pull all your luggage to the tube stations and once there (up and down stairs) then do so. You will be worn out!!!

http://www.dot2.com/Home.aspx has new vans. They pick you up at the hotel and direct to airport. Yes, they might have 2 or 3 stops max to pick up passengers at other hotels, but, it only takes 15 min. out of your time. For us, our flight is @ 1:40pm and our pick up at hotel is 9:30am. Plus, we are at the new Terminal 5 which is so exciting. http://www.terminal5.ba.com/en/our-terminal-5-vision/

If you want a good site for checking out hotels and a map showing where they are located in London, may I suggest this site.

http://www.londontown.com For central location and a great area....check out Charing Cross, and Royal Horseguards. Once you find a price on Londontown, make sure you explore the hotels site and see what their prices are.

I did check with them (to come into London for our precruise), as it seems the eay to go. But since we are coming into Gatwick, they would pick us up at the airport, shuttle us to the express train, then meet us at the other side in London (because of the traffic) and take us to our hotel. Our hotel is only a couple blocks from the train station so I think we will try to get to the train ourselves. If the train cost for the express is close to the price of the dottodot, then I may reconsider.

I read all of your replies and have a suggestion. We're also staying in London post-cruise and needed a way from hotel to Heathrow. One suggestion was by Bruin Steve was to try Dot2. I highly recommend them, than using a taxi service. Taxi's can be extremely costly, especially if they run into traffic...tick tick away!:(

If you want a good site for checking out hotels and a map showing where they are located in London, may I suggest this site.

We didn't have any trouble with our luggage using National Express. Both Heathrow and Stanstead have elevators and escalators, and the bus stations are on flat ground. If you have multiple bags, then a private car is best, though. We had to pack down to one large rolling duffel each, plus a carry-on, because we had an EasyJet flight from BCN back to London after our cruise.

We used Londontown.com and their transportation quotes on our first trip. We ended up with Crest, and they were great. If you select the shared option, you may be with other travelers, but we were the only ones they picked up at Heathrow that day.

Archived