Which Cruise would you choose...

dogboy53

the first one.

we were on the first cruise to Pentecost Island and it was amazing. It poured raining, but was so good. it is a wonderful thing to see. also no Noumea! how good would that be!

Hi Teegiee -

Would you please tell me about the tour to see the land diving. I suppose you can only see it if you take the ship's tour? What did the tour cost?

Thanks in advance.:)

There is no tour. The ship stops at Pentecost and everyone walks to the area where the platform is and sits and watches.

It is all free. You can leave a donation if you want. We did. We left $5.00 on the way in and, when one of the divers hit the ground head first, left $20.00 on the way out. :o

It last a few hours and you will be sitting in the full sun, so take water and hats.

We are keen to go back to Pentecost.

Hi Teegiee -

Would you please tell me about the tour to see the land diving. I suppose you can only see it if you take the ship's tour? What did the tour cost?

Thanks in advance.:)

There is no charge for it... It's not a shore tour as such. The only cost is a donation to the locals. It's absolutely amazing and well worth the walk (about 10mins from the jetty) to the jump site to see it.

2246326770078909071S425x425Q85.jpg

The beach at Pentecost is lovely - one of the best I've visited... although don't look for sand!

2894284530078909071S425x425Q85.jpg

It last a few hours and you will be sitting in the full sun, so take water and hats.

This is a view of the land diving site from the hill surrounding it... As Jenny says, hats and water are a must as there's little shade.... AND sunscreen & insect repellant. AND if it's been raining be prepared to walk through mud to get there!!! ... In no way is any of this meant to be negative - the mud, the flies and everything were well worth it!

2711158180078909071S425x425Q85.jpg

Hi Skyrules and Brushtail.

Thank you for the info about Pentecost. You have really made our day! We were expecting that maybe a high-price shore tour might be the only way to see the land diving. Really looking forward to it.:)

I would recommend the 1st cruise. Champagne Bay - magnificant, Mystery Island - beautiful as is Isle Pines. These three would be our most favorite islands, but we also love Vila, haven't done Pentacost yet nor Poum but we will one day.

Kerri

So by the sounds of things, everyone hates Noumea!

Should we just get off and have a a walk around and get back on board for dinner?

Doesnt sound like its worth paying for any tours.

You can buy a tour locally. In the cruise ship terminal you can buy a tour (same as La Petite Train) for A$15. We have been on both a mini bus and a full size bus, but felt the mini bus was better. We were close to the driver and could ask questions. At the end of the tour, ask the driver to let you off in Coconut Square. This is only a couple of hundred metres from the ship, and you can look at the square and wander past some shops on your way back to the ship.

You do not have to change Aus currency to CPF (the local currency) unless you plan to buy things in the shops. If you buy something of significant value, you can always use a credit card and it is automatically converted to Aus dollars.:)

I'm also going to Noumea when I sail from Sydney on the Pacific Dawn on 10 August 2008. What's wrong with Noumea?

Christine

I think the biggest thing about Noumea is it's not very tourist friendly. They don't seem to care that a ship of 2000 or so (depending on which one) comes in - life just goes on as normal. And it's expensive.

There are good things about it, if you venture away from the main down town area. The area around Lemon Bay & Anse Vata is lovely, Amedee Island, Tijbaou Cultural Centre.

Generally, the cruises out of Brisbane don't get to see the best of Noumea as there is normally only a few hours to see anything before the place closes down. Cruises out of Sydney which get to spend all day there get much more opportunity to explore.

well, im hoping that the 12th may cruise is great cos im booked and ready to go!.I noticed in the book i have ,it says we are going to stop in Vila on sunday but i think they have changed it, i hope so because everyone says that the shops would be closed on sunday.Also it says on this site http://www.whatsonwhen.com/sisp/index.htm?fx=event&event_id=31726 , that the jumping on Pentacost is only on a sat, do you think they would jump for when the boat comes in also? I have noticed no one else from here is on the roll call for this cruise , i hope that doesn't mean its not a good time to cruise, cheers sassycatz

Archived