Seapass and Cash

Ronrocks!

My family and I will be on the Mariner in December. We don't want to use our credit card for our seapass card. Do they allow you to use cash? How does it work? Do we put it down up front or just pay at the end? Can I still do the pre-boarding on-line if we use cash?? Thanks for your help!

Hi Ronrocks. I haven't sailed in a long time, 6 years, I guess. But I paid in cash and had to leave whatever I wanted for my seapass with them. Like a deposit. I think I left them $500 or something and got a receipt and a seapass card. I would think it still works like that. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Ronrocks. I haven't sailed in a long time, 6 years, I guess. But I paid in cash and had to leave whatever I wanted for my seapass with them. Like a deposit. I think I left them $500 or something and got a receipt and a seapass card. I would think it still works like that. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

We will be in one room and our daughters in another room. Do we need $500.00 per room or can we combine them?

I have never used cash but this is the way I think it works. First, if your kids are in another room it will not matter as long as they are on your account. You can set it up to have them on their own or on yours. They will allow you to chage up to $500 on your cash account. When you reach that point, they will call you and ask you to pay it down. You go to the pursers desk and just give them cash. Of course, you can give them cash ahead of time as credit on your account. If there is any left over at the end of the cruise, you can go to the desk and they will refund the balance.

We used cash. Just go to the desk after you board and give them whatever amount you want to put on it. You can check the balance on your TV in your room... and add to it if needed.

I will make one suggestion though... the line to "GET BACK" anything you haven't spent is LONG... at the end of the cruise. Plus you have to settle up that last night. (so, no last minute purchases the morning you leave). We go to the desk about 2 days before the end of the cruise and give them our CC number... and make sure we have no cash balance to retrieve. That way, we only have the very final charges put on the CC... and we avoid that line on the last day!!!!!!!

Just a suggestion.

Have a great cruise.

We don't use cash so this is third hand information (comes from my sister second and her co-worker first). When one of her co-workers went on a wedding/honeymoney cruise he didn't want to use a credit card so he put down $1,000 cash and told the purser to call him when the balance went down to a certain amount. When he received a call telling him that the account reached that balance he and his new wife stopped spending money and only did things that did not require additional spending (drinks, shopping, specialty restaurants, etc.)

You can put down any amount you want and ask the purser to notify you when you have reached a certain limit. It's easy, fast and a good way not to overspend by using a credit card.

We will be in one room and our daughters in another room. Do we need $500.00 per room or can we combine them?

We put $200 on ours and put a $100 on our kids. Unless they changed things very recently... they don't give you a set amount that they want you to put down. They just won't let you charge beyond what you have given them.

I had a completely different experience. I took my 19yr old son and his friend on a cruise in Jan. 2006 and I had a seperate account set up for them. My seapass was on my CC and they had a cash account. They put no money down but when they reached $500.00 they had to go pay that up in full. This was on the Radiance of the Seas to Eastern Caribbean. I was shocked that they did not require any deposit.

Also, my DH and I took our honeymoon on the Majesty of the Seas this past May and used a cash account and we were told we didn't need to put a deposit down then either ( we did anyway tho). We also did not have any issues with a long line. We settled up our account the night before the cruise ended with no hassle or long lines at all. I believe we did this about 9:30pm.

I'll just have to drill into my two teenage daughters heads that EVERYTHING on the ship is not free!!!

The arcade and soda's were my kids fav things to charge. :eek: But, my kids are boys... if my daughter had been there... I would have had to worry about the "shopping" charges. Check your seapass daily on your TV. That way you won't have any surprises. LOL

The arcade and soda's were my kids fav things to charge. :eek: But, my kids are boys... if my daughter had been there... I would have had to worry about the "shopping" charges. Check your seapass daily on your TV. That way you won't have any surprises. LOL

No kidding! I've told both of them it's a long swim from Mexico to Florida! The next headline on CC will be "Two Teenagers Thrown From Ship in Golf of Mexico!"

I had a completely different experience. I took my 19yr old son and his friend on a cruise in Jan. 2006 and I had a seperate account set up for them. My seapass was on my CC and they had a cash account. They put no money down but when they reached $500.00 they had to go pay that up in full. This was on the Radiance of the Seas to Eastern Caribbean. I was shocked that they did not require any deposit.

Also, my DH and I took our honeymoon on the Majesty of the Seas this past May and used a cash account and we were told we didn't need to put a deposit down then either ( we did anyway tho). We also did not have any issues with a long line. We settled up our account the night before the cruise ended with no hassle or long lines at all. I believe we did this about 9:30pm.

Our experience may have been different because I went and put "set amounts" on the sea passes and made it clear that it was the amount we wanted on there. Anything else, we wanted to add at our own discretion. Good to know though... because I would have "assumed" that they wouldn't let you charge up to $500 without a deposit. Something to keep in mind for the future.

Archived