Luggage on River Cruises

yellowrosetx

Does anyone have info on how many bags are allowed on the river boat? I read one post referring to United Airlines allowing one carryon plus handbag and one checked bag, nothing in regards to the boat.

Could someone post that has been on Lufthansa recently? I thought I read on their website they limit the carryon to 18 lbs which isnt alot. It would be helpful to hear what any of you were able to take on plane and boat as I want to be able to bring gifts back as well as take what I need for trip.

Thanks in advance!

Most river boats suggest one large bag and a carryon as there is not much storage space in the cabins. However, you can fit one bag inside another to store.

We've flown Lufthansa several times and have never had our carry-on bags weighed.

Most river boats suggest one large bag and a carryon as there is not much storage space in the cabins. However, you can fit one bag inside another to store.

We've flown Lufthansa several times and have never had our carry-on bags weighed.

Thank you so much for the info! Hopefully, Lufthansa won't be picky and weigh ours.

where is your cruise. I have seen hand luggage weighed especially on discount airlines. United and Lufthansa probably will not weigh the hand luggage.

I will be flying out of Washington Dulles to Munich then to Budapest. Returning will be from Prague to Munich back to Washington Dulles. All on Lufthansa. I haven't flown internationally in quite a few years. I am hoping they will not weigh our carry on luggage.

I do not think that they will weigh your carry-on, but they do weigh your suitcase. We flew from Dulles to Fiji last January and our suitcases just made the 50 lb. limit (our trip was 30+ days long). We bought another suitcase on the trip so that we could bring our souvenirs home. :)

We will be traveling next summer in the Baltic area enroute to a Russian river cruise. We will fly from the US on Delta and Air Baltic to Riga, Latvia. When we leave Riga on Air Baltic enroute to St. Petersburg we will have a luggage restriction. The information states that the one carry on allowed cannot be larger than 19.7 inches. I just measured and our carry on measures 20.6. inches including wheels. How picky are they? Anyone traveled on Air Baltic? I would hate to have to buy new luggage!

I do not think that they will weigh your carry-on, but they do weigh your suitcase. We flew from Dulles to Fiji last January and our suitcases just made the 50 lb. limit (our trip was 30+ days long). We bought another suitcase on the trip so that we could bring our souvenirs home. :)

Thanks for the heads up! I truly understand about needing another suitcase!

yellowrosetx,

Lufthansa allows 2 checked bags à 50lbs/23kg per person for flights from and to the US (including connections).

Carry-Ons are limited to 55*40*20cm and 18lbs/8kg. One carry-on, one personal item.

I never experienced anyone weighing my carry-on but I usually only have a daypack size backpack. Checked luggage will definitely be weighed (not because of Lufthansa but because of the unions of the US ground staff).

Most of the river cruise lines suggest 1 suitcase and 1 carry-on due to the limited storage room in your cabin.

As we usually travel as a family of three we do have three suitcases and one or two soft bags. And I definitely have problems storing my suitcases in my cabins. I usually have my suitcase and one bag which I can clip on my suitcase. The bag holds my shoes and other non breakable stuff. This helps to keep my suitcase within the weight limits. The bag folds into the suitcase.

Have a wonderful cruise!

steamboats

I've used Lufthansa for the past 3 years, and they always weigh my carry-on. Lufthansa allows 1 carry-on, plus 1 personal bag. I travel light - a back-pack as my 'personal bag' (I stuff it with the heavy items) and a duffle bag as my carry-on (strong but lightweight). I don't check-in any other luggage. I ensure that the carry-on never exceeds 6 kg when I leave, so it won't exceed the 8 kg limit when I return. Lufthansa may weigh my carry-on just because I don't have any other bags to weigh, and it looks pretty packed. I find this the best way to travel! I am repeating this process for my next trip in April, and each time I aways want to bring less and less items.

yellowrosetx,

Lufthansa allows 2 checked bags à 50lbs/23kg per person for flights from and to the US (including connections).

I never experienced anyone weighing my carry-on but I usually only have a daypack size backpack. Checked luggage will definitely be weighed (not because of Lufthansa but because of the unions of the US ground staff).

Have a wonderful cruise!

steamboats

I don't know who told you that it was the Unions but that just isn't true. I just flew through JFK and my limit was 70 lbs per checked bag. Many times the business class and First class have higher limits than coach(although some airlines also allow 70 lbs in coach still). The reason they are weighed is it effects the amount of fuel that may be required the total weight is calculated the fuel is then calculated and a margin of safety is added. There have in fact been crashes when weight was not calculated correctly. They have been adding more weight for the average(heavier) American too. Most planes can carry all the weight you and I can stuff into them and into the luggage with no problem but when a plane is full going on a long distance flight near the planes certified limit, the weight of the luggage and passengers becomes an issue. I have seen both luggage and cargo left behind because of weight problems having nothing to do with US Unions....as if the French Unions wouldn't do the same thing.

smeyer,

I have flown LH, UA and US during the last two years and all of them have reduced the weight limit in coach class to 50lbs. It was said that the unions had forced them to limit the weight because the workers shouldn´t lift that heavy stuff. I know that limits are higher in business and first class. Delta has the same limit. This is only valid for flights from/to US and Europe.

Within Europe the weight limit is 20 kg (not valid for connections to a transatlantic flight).

So which airline still has the 70lbs for flights between Europe and the US (and we´re only talking about coach class and no frequent flyer bonuses)?

steamboats

smeyer,

I have flown LH, UA and US during the last two years and all of them have reduced the weight limit in coach class to 50lbs. It was said that the unions had forced them to limit the weight because the workers shouldn´t lift that heavy stuff. I know that limits are higher in business and first class. Delta has the same limit. This is only valid for flights from/to US and Europe.

Within Europe the weight limit is 20 kg (not valid for connections to a transatlantic flight).

So which airline still has the 70lbs for flights between Europe and the US (and we´re only talking about coach class and no frequent flyer bonuses)?

steamboats

Egypt air..and before you say it I didn't say it was a European flight..and many airlines do for their frequent flyers. Its still NOT the Unions. they can say what they want but does it make sense that they still have to handle the heavier ones only for the premium classes. Many of the airlines are non union anyway. Delta Pilots are the only ones unionized. They could just as soon blame it on the FAA or the Phone company. Its done to cut down on fuel costs although the lower weights also help lower workers compensation claims so the risk managers want the lower limit too....oh my aching back...

smeyer,

We were talking about luggage for a European river cruise and about flights between US and Europe, not Egypt. I know that weight limits are depending on which country you are flying to. And I of course know that weight limits are higher for business, first and a certain frequent flyer status.

Anyway, I don´t blame the unions for anything. This was the explantion we were given by airline employees at check-in shortly after they reduced the limits for flights to/from Europe. It sounded good at first glance for sure but I realized later that there are still higher limits out there for certain groups of passengers. Of course it´s more a matter of reducing fuel costs and more.

steamboats

yellowrosetx,

steamboats

Thanks Steamboats & Everyone Else that posted their info on the luggage restrictions for Lufthansa and the River Cruises. I will do my best to keep in the guidelines. :)

Now if we can only get our travel documents - talked to TA last Wednesday and said to call if not here by Monday...I'm trying not to be nervous as we leave a week from Tuesday! Maybe this is how it is......

Air India also allows 70 lbs in Coach and they do stop in Europe...

But that limits your options :D . No flights to Munich and regarding Frankfurt they fly out of LA and Chicago. And you might have problems with your luggage if you want to connect.

Yellowrosetx,

Don´t worry you´ll get your docs! And have a wonderful cruise!

steamboats

Archived