Bad Passenger Habits

Well I read this whole thread and will say that I am not a lover of buffets in general but go to them on cruises, weddings, or wherever the occasion arises that they are part of the food scenario. I've seen people sneeze directly into the food.

I went to a friends house for dinner and her 4 cats were sitting on the dining room table among the beautiful china and silver that she used for the occasion. One of the cats was sitting on a dinner plate. While she was frosting a cake, another cat jumped up on the counter and began licking the cake. She shooed him away after she let him lick the knife and then proceeded to finish frosting the cake with the same knife. I told her it was disgusting. She said.."no one will ever know." She then used the defense that cats were clean and it wasn't a big deal.

In college I worked at a restaurant and it was considered upscale for it's era. The chef used to sit down and pick at his bare feet in between dinners!! Never saw him wash his hands. Food was rated 5 star!!

So on these notes, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and I sware I don't want to know sometimes. I keep my fingers crossed whenever I eat somewhere that's not in my own home.

Pam

Well I read this whole thread and will say that I am not a lover of buffets in general but go to them on cruises, weddings, or wherever the occasion arises that they are part of the food scenario. I've seen people sneeze directly into the food.

I went to a friends house for dinner and her 4 cats were sitting on the dining room table among the beautiful china and silver that she used for the occasion. One of the cats was sitting on a dinner plate. While she was frosting a cake, another cat jumped up on the counter and began licking the cake. She shooed him away after she let him lick the knife and then proceeded to finish frosting the cake with the same knife. I told her it was disgusting. She said.."no one will ever know." She then used the defense that cats were clean and it wasn't a big deal.

In college I worked at a restaurant and it was considered upscale for it's era. The chef used to sit down and pick at his bare feet in between dinners!! Never saw him wash his hands. Food was rated 5 star!!

So on these notes, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and I swear I don't want to know sometimes. I keep my fingers crossed whenever I eat somewhere that's not in my own home.

Pam

Too late! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The worst for elevator pharting is on the Alaska itinerary. We finally concluded that all of the blue hairs on the ship couldn't equalize quickly enough when the elevators gained altitude. It became a standing joke that it was safe to take the elevator DOWN to dinner, but the stairs were a safer bet if you need to go back UP to the deck.

ROFLMAO!!!!

My personal pet peeve is when your hostess fills your beverage glass with ice by using her hands without washing them first. I have not used ice since my hostess changed her baby's dirty (and I don't mean just wet) diaper and then did this very thing. Now I just tell people I don't like ice.

I think we all know this and the thread is more about the grossness of it more then no one is cruising because of it. We pick up germs everywhere. They say the bottom of a womens pocket purse has more germs then just about any thing in our home. :D

We had a rather lengthy and heated debate about that very subject on the fashion board a while back. I either don't take my handbag into a bathroom if I can avoid it, I'll wear one across my body or hang it on the hook, never put it on the floor of a bathroom.

Society has become more and more germophobic since we are learning just how easily and frequently germs are passed around. I personally think that germs will win over the world and become the demise of human beings since we are trying to disinfect and sanitize everything in sight. Unfortunately, we are also trying to avoid illness by trying to avoid the germs, so it's a catch-22.

I avoid buffets, not only are they germ fests, but the food is bad. It's always astonishing to me on a cruise ship just how many people go to the buffet and accept it as decent fare. Please don't tell anyone how much more pleasant the dining room is and that it really doesn't take much longer than the buffet, unless you care to linger.

The price of the labor might be offset by portion control. At the very leasts they should, and perhaps do? start this at any sign of an outbreak.

The budget per pax for food is $12 per day, labor costs can be quite a bit higher.

I worked for a hotel banquet department years ago and people were always surprised to find out how much more we would charge for a buffet over a served meal. Servers are paid far less than minimum wage, they depend on tips for their income. Kitchen staff is needed for a buffet, their wages are higher, the food cost (waste) is higher and the set up is a lot more labor intensive.

So, perhaps the ship could cut costs more effectively by serving only in the dining room?

The bad habits that annoyed me the most involved elevators:

1) people who don't let you get off before they try to get

2) the person on the elevator who refuses to move out of the way so you can get off

4) people who are perfectly capable of taking the stairs down/up one flight, but insist on taking the elevator. Now before anyone starts wagging their tongue I realize that we shouldn't make judgements as some people can't take the stairs due to medical reasons...however....when you hear their friend/spouse ask them "do you want to take the stairs?" and the answer is "no, I can't be bothered" that is probably an indication that the person is just lazy.

I generally take the stairs no matter how many flights I'm going up or down. Of the two cruises I've been on, I've taken the elevator less than a handful of times -- generally to say I've been on them and to look out the glass window to the world below as we rise. Nice view, but it gets old rather quickly.

As for the impolite people who don't get out of the way, I generally say "excuse me" in a calm, controlled voice. If they still don't move, I walk through them. I even hear my high school coach in my head: "square up your shoulders and push through with your legs".

I'm not sure why it takes that type of behavior before people realize that the Earth doesn't revolve around them, but I enjoy playing the role of catalyst.

I avoid buffets, not only are they germ fests, but the food is bad. It's always astonishing to me on a cruise ship just how many people go to the buffet and accept it as decent fare. Please don't tell anyone how much more pleasant the dining room is and that it really doesn't take much longer than the buffet, unless you care to linger.

Happy Ks, One of the reasons we use the buffet at lunch is because of our diningroom expierience. We were seated at a table for ten, while planning to go ashore. It consisted of 6 friends who monopolized the conversation. Not a problem, except the six also demanded the best of everything and alot of service. After waiting for our order for over half an hour, we were told that it would be another twenty minutes because the chef was preparing our order to specification. In my mind, obviously they ran out of what was ordered and had to restart and in the meantime were trying to make our table feel special. Personally, I wish they would have just said they were "out of whatever" instead of turning it into a 2hr. lunch. Obivoulsy, that's not the norm but that's one of the reasons why people head for the buffet.

A quick lunch before going ashore. Which is the reason I started this thread to begin with. If people would just pay attention, wash their hands, use the saitizers, and not touch what other people are going to be eating. I would love to hear the crews comments on passenger behavior. :)

I think you'll see this kind of behavior on any cruise line , any land vacation for that matter! :D

ditto that, but I think you see this kind of behavior every single day anywhere in public. People don't just decide to be rude and nasty on cruise ships, they act the same way in their home town. If I let these things bother me, I would never leave my house. I leave for my cruise in 13 days, and i will eat at the buffet, sit in the hot tub, and use public restrooms, just like in my home town. I will also do what I can to keep myself clean and healthy, and I am sure there is something that I do that annoys someone else, and I hope they can get over it as well.

Archived