What do you do with your dog?

CruiseCATnMACK

We also have a very spoiled 45 pound Springer Spaniel baby who thinks she's a lap dog. We're very fortunate that our son lives in town and usually house sits for us when we cruise. During those rare times that he's not available, there's a kennel here where she loves to go to and they spoil them there also. As soon as we walk in, she's already on her way back to the back...forget Mom!

We have two wonderful dogs....a bichon (age 17) and a cocker (age 9)..the bichon is deaf and going blind (but still in great shape and plays alot....never any accidents despite the age). BUT kennels are out as the bichon becomes too disoriented. We have a wonderful dog/house sitter and here in Sarasota, there are quite a few people who do this. The charge ranges by service from $30-45. It's not that much more than a kennel for 2 dogs.....they get to sleep in their own bed (ours)...and keep their standard routine. It's a super job for a retired, trustworthy person as they make extra cash.......my "kids" get plenty of love.....and my house is occupied. GREAT DEAL......

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Our little poodle will be going to the kennel, she doesn't like it, but she will be fine, we have taken her there before. Our one cat will be in the house with lots of food and water and I think she will be fine too, but our other cat was diagnosed with diabetes earlier this year, and this will be the first time we left her since. So the kennel said they will take care of her and give her the insulin shots twice a day. That leaves our spoiled rotten Australian Cattle Dog - Kailee. We took her for her shots and to have her teeth cleaned earlier this year and the vet recommended that if we ever bring her in again, to pick up a tranquilizer first. She has what he calls panic attacks! She is fine at home, so our neighbor boys will be coming over to feed her once a day, and she has the basement and the run of the back yard so hopefully she will be fine, but she is the one I will be worrying most about!

:rolleyes:

2 German shepherds...they either go out to the farm with my mom and her 5 Australian shephers, or we take them to our vets kennel. They are outdoor kennels, and HUGE. They excercise the dogs every morning. Great part about it, only 5$ per day since my dogs usually share a kennel and are pretty much attached at the hip.:p

I would love for someone to come over to our house and watch them, but none of our friends go gaga over dogs like we do, so I feel uncomfortable asking them. They immediately can tell friend from foe, so I never have to worry about that....just none to pick from :D

The dog passed on so we have 2 cats now - both black as midnight :eek: One is a Maine Coon and the other is a stray we rescued from the pound.

We have a pet sitter we use. Comes once a day (twice when we had the dog) feeds/fresh water/play time/picks up mail/turns lights on & off, etc. $12 a day and the pets get to stay comfortable in their own home.

I have a golden, Amber, that I boarded a couple times and since she is a house dog, it didn't work too well. She is just too sensitive :D. So now I have a sitter come, found at http://www.petsit.com/. I have used several people through this site, and the one we have now is wonderful. Does an absolutely great job and loves Amber to death! Hope this one doesn't either get pregnant or move like the last two did! :) Since my husband has a 200 gallon salt water tank, it works out all the way around since this way she feeds his fish too when we're gone.

Cat-

I enjoyed seeing the pictures of your cute dog!

We have an 8 month old Bichon Frise/Westie mix named Murray. We are leaving on October 9th on the Triumph and are leaving him with a friend of mine. She is taking him this weekend for a trial night. It works out really well because she really wants a dog and has not had one before. This is a good way for her to see what it's all about.

It's hard because you want to enjoy your cruise and not worry about your pet, even though you will miss them!

There are all kinds of alternative care available. Probably just depends on your budget... but this should matter... it's 'lil Fluffy we are talking about!

You can kennel, hire walkers, hire someone to stay at your house and keep Fluffy happy (my Aunt does this for extra money), or board them to a full blown care outfit.

Parents that take care of their kid's dog while the kids are on a cruise, it's just plain nuts (not talking about caring for the grandkids at the same time). They deserve some significant compensation IMHO.

We take Miss Mani-Nana to a nice local kennel. We no longer take her to a place where she runs with other dogs since we had an incident with our dog at a place like that. I would take her if I could but she is a Siberian Husky and a goofball, to say the least!

We take our dog, and our 4 cats to our local animal hospital which also does boarding. No animals will be admitted there unless all innoculations are up to date. We've never had any problems. Unfortunately the price is quite high...we pay $100 a day for our dog and 4 cats (we live in NYC!) and that does not include checkups and updating shots!

This is one good reason we've never gone on a 14 day cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

We have a spoiled rotten boxer and a kitty cat. Kitty does NOT like to go anywhere so we have a friend who has a pet sitting service come and feed her while we are on a cruise. Our boxer goes to what we call the "Country Club" which actually is a really nice kennel out on a lot of acreage. They take such good care of her. We pay about $14 a day for our boxer ($16/day over holidays). But she is worth it.

Cat,

We have a beautiful 118# Chocolate Labrador Retriever named Fancy Dog, who stays with my mother-in-law while we are gone. She has a black Lab mix and a yellow Lab, so our Fancy Dog gets plenty of exercise while we're gone. I know kennels are good and have good people working in them, but I know that no one will be as good to my baby as my mother-in-law is.

By the way, what's a land vacation? Never heard of it, didn't know there was anything but cruising.:D

[quote name='ArkansasFish']If you know a person that lives with a family that wants to get away for a week, just let them house-set.
I got 15 chickens and one dog. My mom is coming to feed them.[/QUOTE] Are you volunteering to come to CO and watch my dogs :D?

I have 1 dog and 4 cats that need human contact and all are inside children. I have a very dependable pet/house sitter that stays over most nights and visits at least twice a day when she can't stay. I do have a doggie door as well, so my precious Barney can go to the potty whenever he needs to.

I pay her $20 per day and she's very happy with that and I'm happy with the service she provides my babies :)

Hi, saw the title and popped over from the HAL board. I have three dogs, various sizes -- all rescues. Just lost another two weeks ago -- cancer. Anyway, in the past I have boarded with my vet. When the weather is decent, she lets all her board dogs play together outside in her back yard all day. But as the number of my dogs has increased, so has the cost for this.

I now use a co-worker who also is in charge of a rescue group. She and some group members do dog sitting for a very reasonable price as a fund raiser. They come over twice a day and also play with the dogs. Actually since my house is 10 minutes from the office, she comes over at lunch also.

So I suggest, folks check with their local rescue groups. Some may do this.

I have two Dalmatians that I rescued and we use a very reputable kennel in our area. The dogs are well cared for and if anything were to happen, someone would be there with them. They also do not hesitate to call the vet or us if needed. The kennel has indoor/outdoor runs, a 50 x 50 play area and my dogs receive daily walks, a bath before we pick them up, treats, Frosty Paws ice cream, etc. The kennel also offers emailing pictures to you while on vacation so that you can see how the "kids" are doing. I always call and check on them and they are always very nice to tell us all about the dogs. We started the kennel by doing a day, then an overnight stay, then a few days, to a week. I feel very lucky to have a good kennel. If you are in the Charlottesville, VA area and need a good kennel, check out
wakefieldkennel.com.

I have 3 very pampered indoor mini schnauzers, Gus, Max & Greta. They have an extremely nice groomer who also boards doggie children. They receive excellent care & absolutely love the place! Matter of fact, when we drive up & they see the building, they start howling joyfully & jump up & down. Then they race to the door to see who can get in first. From comments she has made, I think they pretty well have the run of the place & "help" her run the shop. I'm sooooooo lucky to have an arrangement like this.

I have the most wonderful sitter come to my home to take care of my 2 kittys and one dog/person. She helped me care for my mom before my mom died and now is part of my family. She also comes 2 days during the week while I am at work just for her visiting rights with the kittys/dog. I am so lucky. I pay her well to stay the week (even though she doesn't want me too) and it is sooo worth it... but I miss my pets so bad during the cruise..oh, yeah, I forgot, I do miss my kids too!!

We are the proud owners of 2 Dachshunds. When we cruise or go anywhere over 4 days that may require a hotel that is NOT pet friendly, then we have the lady here in town who runs the Dachshund Rescue Society of So. Calif. keep them for us. We adopted them from her and they are familiar with her home. We always come home to healthy happy Doxies! Waiting to see us! :D

[quote name='CruisnMom007']I am seeing A LOT of rescues on here!!! WONDERFUL!! I love to see that.[/QUOTE]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=purple]Me too CruisnMom. We got Tucker from PAL (Protect Animal Life) at our local PetSmart. The plan was to do a little shopping before we went to the LA Boxer Rescue the next day. Little did we know that we would find our doggy soulmate. Both of our cats were also rescues, from the SPCA.[/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='beaming90']That leaves our spoiled rotten Australian Cattle Dog - Kailee. !

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
My son has an Australian Cattle Dog.. and no one, absolutely no one, had ever heard of the breed.. His name is Bamboo and he's a cutey- about 7 months old... how big do they get?????

Archived