Quebec City

PHYLLISR

Does anyone know anything about Hotel Germaine des Pres in Quebec City?

Phyllis

Just go to the "Search this forum on top of the page and put in hotels in Quebec. All sorts of info comes up. Hope this helps.

marilyn

Does anyone know anything about Hotel Germaine des Pres in Quebec City?

Phyllis

hotel Germain des prés is a nice hotel but it's in the Ste-Foy area of the city which means you will be a good 20 minutes taxi or 40 minutes bus ride away from the Old part of Quebec City. The only advantage I see to sleeping in Ste-Foy is if you like shopping :) since it's really close to the biggest shopping mall in the city. If I were going to Quebec City as a tourist (which I have done on occasion since I only live 1.5 hour away), I would certainly prefer staying in Old Quebec. I have personally tried these three hotels and have enjoyed them all for various reasons.

http://www.clossaintlouis.com/

http://www.manoir-victoria.com/

http://www.hiltonquebec.com/en/accueilAff.asp

Hope this will be helpful information.

Line

Linel and Monicajay

Thank you so much for your input. I had no idea Hotel Germaine was not in the old city area. I am definetly interested in seeing the old city. That is why we plan to arrive in Quebec City at least 2 days before our cruise. Is there any hotels that either of you can recommend?

Phyllis

My favorite although expensive is the Chateau Frontenac.

A true castle.

http://www.fairmont.com/frontenac/Index.htm

If you can't afford to stay there, at least go for a visit. They have an outstanding but expensive ($20ish) breakfast buffet. It is a great way to feel like you are part of the action.

Sometimes sites like hotelsdotcom offer reasonable rates at the Chateau.

Linel

From the three you listed, do you prefer one over another?

Phyllis

If given a choice, I would probably choose the clos St-Louis. It's a smaller romantic hotel with a charming country feel and it is inside the walls of the old city on the same street that leads to the Château Frontenac. If you go on their website, you can actually view the rooms. The other two hotels are also good choices for standard hotels for a cheaper price but they lack the character the Clos St-Louis has. As for the Château Frontenac, it's the landmark of Quebec city's skyline but I find it highly overpriced. I would recommand to pay it a visit but I would personally not sleep there. Hope this will help you!

Line

I've stayed at the Chateau de Pierre for years (since the '80s) .. right across park from Frontenac and gets rave reviews on Trip Advisor... great small hotel, family run, reasonable rates and just simply charming.. You can walk to everything in the Upper and Lower town (funicular nearby)...I think Frontenac is way over priced and it doesn't have that 'personal' touch.. but that's just my opinion!

www.quebecweb.com/chateaudepierre/introang.html

There are several small boutique hotels walking distance from the cruise terminal. Being a resident of the city, I've never stayed at any of them, but having worked at the tourist office I can say that they all seem to have good reps and were used often for press tours and the like. Specifically, the Auberge Sainte-Antoine (which is right in front of the dock) and the Hotel Dominion 1912 (actually owned by the same group as the Germain-des-Près) are quite highly rated, and some friends of mine once stayed at the Auberge Saint-Pierre and quite enjoyed their stay. Another one in the area is the Hotel Le Priori, which also looks quite nice. Probably the closest hotel to the cruise terminal is the Hotel Le Port-Royal, a fairly new hotel that is literally accross the street from the terminal.

Archived