Waterproof Snorkeling Waist bags

sawmillbarb

I just got our supposedly waterproof to so many feet waist bag. (Don't know if I can mention the brand name or online place I purchased)...Very common type!

Do these really work? I'm always the pessimist and worry about having a soggy passport or having the ink run off of it!!

Thanks

Barbara

Just so long as you're not trying to advertise / sell them, you can mention the name and store. I'd really be interested in one. Try testing it out in the sink. Fill it with tissues and dunk it for a while. As far as passport ink running, I belive they're printed similar to $$, the ink won't run.

We modified ours alittle. We used the quart plastic zipper bags put our ship ID, and some small bills in it before we put it in the water proof bag. Of course we only swam and snorkled with it and had no trouble with water leaking in.

We modified ours alittle. We used the quart plastic zipper bags put our ship ID, and some small bills in it before we put it in the water proof bag. Of course we only swam and snorkled with it and had no trouble with water leaking in.

The bag that we bought was basically a Ziploc bag for $25 :rolleyes: I think it was called AquaPak by Magellans. Definitely a piece of garbage. I should have just used the regular ziplocs from the supermarket and I would have had better results.

We bought 3 of these waist packs for our cruise last Christmas.

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/dp65.html

I put plain paper in it and submerged it in the bathtub. It worked just fine.

If you are really concerned (though it seems redundant) you could put your passport in a smaller "zipper" bag and then into the pouch.

I am a little corn-fused.:confused: Why not use one of the waterproof containers with the neck strap, like the kind sold on the ship? I have had no leakage with these (bring petroleum jelly or silicone grease).

I have been able to fit everything in these except my camera, which is waterproof.

I am a little corn-fused.:confused: Why not use one of the waterproof containers with the neck strap, like the kind sold on the ship? I have had no leakage with these (bring petroleum jelly or silicone grease).

I have been able to fit everything in these except my camera, which is waterproof.

For me, those containers are not big enough. Plus if you go swiming you have to tie them on to your swimsuit somewhere and I would rather not have to worry about it coming untied.

My waist pack holds everything. It is right there all the time and I can reach down and touch it freq when I am in the water.

For me, those containers are not big enough. Plus if you go swiming you have to tie them on to your swimsuit somewhere and I would rather not have to worry about it coming untied.

My waist pack holds everything. It is right there all the time and I can reach down and touch it freq when I am in the water.

Now I am even more corn-fused. Why would you tie it onto your swimsuit? The one I have has a neck lanyard with a cinch bead that keeps it securely fastened -- no need to "touch it freq".;)

The 'beach safes' as repete says are okay but they can fall apart if the pin comes out - as it did when my husband was enjoying himself at Sapphire Beach - the top of the 'box' and lanyard were still around his nieck but the bottom had fallen off (he had just purchased it the day before in the gift shop). We made a 'generous' donation to the ocean and with the help of some teens were able to finally locate his Visa card!!!!!!!!

If you do use one of those types of beach safe please add a large elastic band to hold it together just in case!

Froufie

Now I am even more corn-fused. Why would you tie it onto your swimsuit? The one I have has a neck lanyard with a cinch bead that keeps it securely fastened -- no need to "touch it freq".;)

The only thing I can think of why it is confusing you is you have never actually used it in the water. I have.

The box wants to float, there is a good chance it will come off from around you neck. It bumps around.

I am always in the water. I have tried the hard sided box. In fact still have it. I like it fine for just on the beach, but I am never just on the beach. Did not like it while in the water.

The one I use even works for scuba.

The box wants to float, there is a good chance it will come off from around you neck. It bumps around.
Yes it does - but you just need to put your arm thru the loop -- and then it just 'swims' alongisdie you with no problem!

Frouf

I picked mine up at Walmart and have used it for 2 years. We have never had a leakage problem. It was actually with the camping and boating merchandise. We paid around $10.00 for it and it was a flat fanny pack type. It has two double ziploc type closures within in it and then folds over and velcros closed.

The only thing I can think of why it is confusing you is you have never actually used it in the water. I have.

I am always in the water. I have tried the hard sided box. In fact still have it. I like it fine for just on the beach, but I am never just on the beach. Did not like it while in the water.

The one I use even works for scuba.

Nah, the reason why I am confused now is how you can surmise that I would recommend something I have never actually used in the water. For the record, I have used the one I bought in the 90's for snorkeling trips from Belize to Bermuda and have not had a drop of water. No need to respond, skippy, just wanted to set the record straight. Go ahead and use your strap-on. For me, I'll stick with simple.

Archived