DCL to Alaska in summer 2009?

disneylover89

It will be interesting to see if plans develop that way once the two new ships come online. The main problem with Alaska is that it is really saturated right now with ships during the cruising season there. Ports can be very crowded with multiple large ships there all at once.

When we sailed to Alaska last year, I talked to a couple of merchants, and they told me that Disney had just been in town looking at options for bringing a ship up there. Of course, they also told me that it was going to happen this year, so take the information for what it is worth.

The ships they have now aren't built to go to Alaska.

Rumor is, the Magic is having a longer than usual Dry Dock in Sept 2008. It is going to be for 3 weeks. People say it will be outfitted for cold weather then with a retractable roof to cover the pool area. Is this true? Who knows? Not me!

I've done the inside passage cruise to Alaska a few years back on HAL and found that as an Adult Alaska is an amazing place to see but if I were a child I would find it very boarding. The ports of call are not really kid friendly and really don't offer that much in the way of great places to visit that interest kids. I loved it because I could grasp the scenery,history glacier bay etc. I'm not flaming the idea of DCL doing some Alaska cruises but just keep in mind it's a different type of cruise, it's cooler in the later months (September on) the pools will be closed, and it does rain...a lot!

I've done the inside passage cruise to Alaska a few years back on HAL and found that as an Adult Alaska is an amazing place to see but if I were a child I would find it very boarding. The ports of call are not really kid friendly and really don't offer that much in the way of great places to visit that interest kids. I loved it because I could grasp the scenery,history glacier bay etc. I'm not flaming the idea of DCL doing some Alaska cruises but just keep in mind it's a different type of cruise, it's cooler in the later months (September on) the pools will be closed, and it does rain...a lot!

My children are really into sealife and animals. My husband has also been to Alaska several times to fish. They love the idea of seeing all the wild life that is in open view. They want to go to Alaska (expecially to fish) but I know all the cruiselines that go there are geared to older people so I won't even think about it for now. That is why I was excited about the Disney rumor. It would be perfect. There would be great onboard activities geared towards kids plus taken in the beauty of Alaska.

Unfortunately a DCL rep just told me that Alaska was definitely not happening for 2009. There were alot of disboard rumors out there so management told them that Alaska was out.:(

My children are really into sealife and animals. My husband has also been to Alaska several times to fish. They love the idea of seeing all the wild life that is in open view. They want to go to Alaska (expecially to fish) but I know all the cruiselines that go there are geared to older people so I won't even think about it for now. That is why I was excited about the Disney rumor. It would be perfect. There would be great onboard activities geared towards kids plus taken in the beauty of Alaska.

RCCL and Carnival both sail to Alaska and they definitely are very much kid friendly lines. I know they aren't Disney but if you really want to do Alaska you should look into those two lines.

Unfortunately a DCL rep just told me that Alaska was definitely not happening for 2009. There were alot of disboard rumors out there so management told them that Alaska was out.:(

Completely understood regarding older kids. I should have been more clear on ages I was really talking about the younger kids, 3-10 lets say. My 2 younger ones would not have found Alaska that interesting but my 15 year old would love it. The ship would need to have a very solid kids program and Disney dose have that. The ports like Juno,ketchikan,and Sitka there's really nothing for kids to do so they would have a better time on board while you explore. The poster talking about the ports being crowded with other cruise ships is an understatement. Alaska's inner passage is now a cruise ship super highway with everyone getting off at the same exit. A town like ketchikan can only hold so may cruise ships and people so it really dose take away from the port of call having to vie with so many people to do only a few things like tours,shopping, and excursions.

Well I think the 2009 cruises are going to be released real soon and it looks like they will be special carribbean cruises. Go to the disney website and go to ports of call, then special carribbean cruises, they have arranged holding places on the website for listing new carribbean ports, and photos that are popping up have pictures of new ports, I think one is St. Lucia. Look for southern carribbean and exotic ports for summer 2009.

It looks like DCL is staying in the Caribbean in summer 2009. The new ports are St. Croix and Tortola. They will alternate Eastern cruises with some going to St. Maarten, some to St. Croix, and some to Tortola.

Those cruises are now available on the DCL website.

Archived